new tyres :)

General Bike chat
Watty

Re: new tyres :)

Post by Watty »

Pete.L wrote:
Watty wrote:
fatfreddy000 wrote:i was in a rush today to purchase a pair of tyres after i found a nast gash in the sidewall of my front, along with the puncture i was gonna get repaired, so anyway i rushes into buying a cheap pair of pirelli diablo strada's new.
not the best probably but I'm not intending to be pushing the bike that much for now and they're meant to have ok adhesion and a pretty good lifespan.. i will update one that a few months into use.
has anybody else used these?
They nick named "ditch finders" not sure why!! 8O
I didn't know Marty used them???

Pete.l
:lol: :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

My FireStorm is due for some new boots, although the front has still got some life in it, I've currently got Dunlop SportSmart 2s fitted, also got them fitted to my SP2 and can't complain, got to admit at the end of the day I am a Dunlop fan.
Just thought I might try something else on the Storm, so just wondered if anyone has any experience of
Metzeler Sportec M7 RRs or Metzeler Roadtec 01s on a FireStorm, I use mine for anything from 150 to 400 miles a day summer Rides outs, I do like to play, road use only, don't commute and don't do track days, not too bothered about the cost, just want the right tool for the job :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Watty

Post by Watty »

cheekykev wrote:My FireStorm is due for some new boots, although the front has still got some life in it, I've currently got Dunlop SportSmart 2s fitted, also got them fitted to my SP2 and can't complain, got to admit at the end of the day I am a Dunlop fan.
Just thought I might try something else on the Storm, so just wondered if anyone has any experience of
Metzeler Sportec M7 RRs or Metzeler Roadtec 01s on a FireStorm, I use mine for anything from 150 to 400 miles a day summer Rides outs, I do like to play, road use only, don't commute and don't do track days, not too bothered about the cost, just want the right tool for the job :thumbup:
Can't comment on either Kev, but heard loads of great reports on the M7 RR's!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
celtic68

Post by celtic68 »

Freshly mounted Conti Road Attack 3, following on Metzeler Roadtec 01. Initial impression: Contis run much more silent and with inspiring confidence. Can't wait for better conditions outside... :whatever
VTR3545

Post by VTR3545 »

Just fitted a set of the New Maxxis supermaxx ma st2 ... not been out yet but great price from local dealer 114 the pair.....previously used Maxxis on other bikes and found them good

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

celtic68

Post by celtic68 »

Update: Continental Road Attack 3 - after 2000 km I can honestly say that these are the best tyres I ever had on the storm. Great grip, very agile, but without any nervousness. Whether warm or cold, dry or wet. Just perfect for the storm and my driving style. If they prove to be sustainable (>4000 km), I think I'll stick with them.
VTR3545

Post by VTR3545 »

VTR3545 wrote:Just fitted a set of the New Maxxis supermaxx ma st2 ... not been out yet but great price from local dealer 114 the pair.....previously used Maxxis on other bikes and found them good

Well all scrubbed in and some good miles in now and I can say they have loads of grip give plenty confidence...i run pressures 32f and 36r

Southwind531

Post by Southwind531 »

Just fitted Michelin Pilot Road 4's to replace my squared off Battlaxs, total transformation in the way it now rolls into bends and unbelievable grip when giving it a fist full coming out.
Not tried in wet weather yet, but I reckon I'll trust them.
I do 400 miles per week commuting on M25 & A127, so will see how the centres hold up.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

what pressures do you run them at?
it may be clever, but its not big.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Interesting question that. I use BT016 and run 29 front, 28 rear. What do others use?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

That seems way to soft. On a track day maybe, but not for the road.

Didn't know they were still doing BT-016's. They were new out when I was in the bike trade and that was 12 years ago!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:58 pm Interesting question that. I use BT016 and run 29 front, 28 rear. What do others use?
Did you mean 28psi in the rear tyre Ian :?: as that seems rather low to me as well,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i fancy trying one of those PR4s people are using, iv followed a few bikes with them on and they seem a tad sticky and last well. that last rear i got, a metz M5 i think it was didnt last over 2k :sad2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I've not long fitted the Michelin Road 5 on the rear of mine.
The reports are really good for tyre longevity, wet capability and good ,due to a very soft edge band of rubber, for over all grip.
They feel okay for general riding but it's a bit too nippy and slippy out there to put them to a proper test this time of year. Most folk are reporting 6K mile out of a rear tire. That's nearly double what I was getting from the 7RRs i was running.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:02 pm
KermitLeFrog wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:58 pm Interesting question that. I use BT016 and run 29 front, 28 rear. What do others use?
Did you mean 28psi in the rear tyre Ian :?: as that seems rather low to me as well,

Chris.
Yup. 28psi in the rear. It seems to work OK for me. In many ways, for me, tyres are just round black things. There are a couple I've tried that seem to slide under the least provocation but most of them do the job fine. They are, of course, wonderful when they are new, and crappy when they have worn. Sometimes, on a certain bike/tyre combination, the front wears out before the rear but mostly it's the other way around.

I'm currently running 28 28 on the little KTM 390, still on the original OEM tyres but the rear is now shot at just over 2000 miles. Can't be arsed to change it at the moment as my abba stand is holding up the swingarm-less Storm.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)