new tyres :)

General Bike chat
pete1781

new tyres :)

Post by pete1781 »

So finally decided on pilot road 3's, got them fitted this morning for £230 ride in ride out at micheldever tyres between andover and basingstoke ( Hampshire) excellent service and very helpful with what I thought was a pretty good price.

First impressions after a 50 odd mile ride is fantastic, only ever had bridgestones before but these are so much better and not even scrubbed in yet!! The bt021's that were on it before were getting on I think and the rear was a bit square so I was looking forward to an improvement but nothing like that :)

I was thinking maybe we could make this thread or a similar one a sticky and everyone could do a little review of theyre rubber and post it to aid newbies like myself to have some sort of influence on choice?
I know I would have found it useful as there is so much choice these days!

I will update this once I've done a few hundred miles and let you all know how they're performing :)

Pete.

I will up
Last edited by pete1781 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benny hedges

Re: new rubber :)

Post by benny hedges »

Dunlop SPORTMAX on the sp2 - £255 fitted (but had a £100 gift voucher so was a bargain)

2900 miles so far and looks like zero wear 8O
did a lot of A road and motorway on them as well and no sign of squaring off - definately a very good tyre in terms of life expectancy / mileage.

awesome in the wet - compared to what im used to on the race scrub power ones, supercorsas and racetecs...
was wondering why everyone was backing off so far but they couldnt see cos of all the spray my tyres were making - and in the dry they fling stones at people and chip their plastics lol :)

very impressed. this is my 2nd set so far - had them on the sp before i put new ones on and was impressed so decided to stick with them for a bit.
seems a lot of the guys on the sp site use same rubber - and iirc tony 8O .mon has them on his firestorm and could not get them to let go despite deliberately misbehaving in the wet :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
oldbikeman

Re: new tyres :)

Post by oldbikeman »

Just ordered two rears and one front (Conti Motions) for £231.Good tyres and a bargain from RoundAndBlack.
Also I have matched the side case and wheel paint to Halfords Anthracite and PU lacquer. It is a spot on match for a 98.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Just fitted Pirelli diablo rosso 2,s. £200 but came with £25 cashback voucher so £175. Only done aobut 5 miles, just to scrub them in, feel nice and neutral...Bet i don't get 2000 miles out of the rear though :(
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
zims123

Post by zims123 »

Just bought a VTR (Bloody top fun......) anyway, it is wearing quite new Diablo boots, and in fairness they are ok.....however i have found them a little vague on the front.....
Have just sold a GSXR 7.5 that was wearing Pilot 3.......top top top tyre!!!!!!......will be switching back when the VTR has eaten it's rubber.......

Won't be long!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

zims123 wrote:Just bought a VTR (Bloody top fun......) anyway, it is wearing quite new Diablo boots, and in fairness they are ok.....however i have found them a little vague on the front.....
Have just sold a GSXR 7.5 that was wearing Pilot 3.......top top top tyre!!!!!!......will be switching back when the VTR has eaten it's rubber.......

Won't be long!!!!!!

I wouldn't go blaming the tyre, more likely the shite super soft front forks giving you a vague feeling and/or notchy standard ungreased steering bearings, if your bikes low milage (under 10k) give them a clean and greasing before they're knackered.
Diablo's are good sport tyres i've had them on lots of bikes and they worked great on all of them, not saying the pr3's are bad i hear they're a very good sport/touring tyre that lasts well, have also heard they're no better than the pr2's which are cheaper to buy now..
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
seb421

Post by seb421 »

I have Pilot Road 3's and i don't think i would switch to another tyre unless the make an even better Pilot Road 4 if that's possible?

Unless its used a track bike then i would imagine a Pilot Road 3 or equivalent would be more than adequate for 99% of road riders
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Rob

Post by Rob »

Currently running Pirelli Angel ST's which I love and last pretty well.

Fancy trying Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact, anyone any experience of theses? Seem to get good reviews and possibly last longer.

65 mile/day commute so need something that lasts but needs to be a 'touring' tyre good for both wet and dry.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Rob wrote:Currently running Pirelli Angel ST's which I love and last pretty well.

Fancy trying Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact, anyone any experience of theses? Seem to get good reviews and possibly last longer.

65 mile/day commute so need something that lasts but needs to be a 'touring' tyre good for both wet and dry.
why not just have a crack at the PR'3 its said to be the ultimate for wet weather and its been a god send in that rain on Friday, roads was like rives
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
zims123

Post by zims123 »

Popcat....no my feedback was really about the tyres.......trying to be useful and constructive about rubber...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

seb421 wrote:
Rob wrote:Currently running Pirelli Angel ST's which I love and last pretty well.

why not just have a crack at the PR'3 its said to be the ultimate for wet weather and its been a god send in that rain on Friday, roads was like rives
What the roads were reading poetry????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rives_%28poet%29
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
seb421

Post by seb421 »

MacV2 wrote:
seb421 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rives_%28poet%29
Seriously?

Sent from the Bat Cave via Cup and String
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Seb you should know by now Mac is very infrequently serious about anything. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Kev L wrote:Seb you should know by now Mac is very infrequently serious about anything. :thumbup:
Yes I am, taking the piss mainly but also killing vermin. :twisted:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

seb421 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rives_%28poet%29[/quote]

Seriously?

[/quote]

Oh yes, as pointed out to me on previous occasions, proof read before posting. Seb your spilling is atroshus...... :wink: