Track Day Starters

General Bike chat
BigVeeGrin

Track Day Starters

Post by BigVeeGrin »

I'm praying to be able to do a track day this summer - kit and dosh dependent, however, as a total novice where and who would you recommend for a first track and instruction etc..?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Track Day Starters

Post by Pete.L »

That's a big call.
It all depends on your riding ability and confidence. If you are a good, slightly fast rider I would say start in the medium group. If you aren't too sure of yourself, start in the novice group. Normally, if you are in the wrong group they will let you change over at lunch time anyway.
Main thing is to go out and have fun, don't rush into anything too fast and don't go beyound your abi;ities.Your confidence level will progress as the day goes on and you'll be twice as quick and really confident by the end of the day.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

BigVeeGrin wrote:who would you recommend for a first track and instruction etc..?
I dont believe you get instruction at track days (been years since I did one so may be wrong), you just get thrown onto the track with a load of other nutters. Might be better off doing something like Ron Haslam or a similar track school if you want teaching.
Rich.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Instruction?
No need, everyone you'll speak to has an opinion on your riding, and what you should be doing....... :D

Just dive for the apex from the outside, and people will offer LOADS of helpful advice!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

I'm in a similar boat having not done one, but I am defininately doing one as wanted to go last year but cash was too tight...

If you fancy getting a group together let me know...
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

doesn't matter who you go with if you ask an instuctor for some help they will follow you round and give you some pointers then maybe let you follow them to show you the right lines to take, it depends how confident you are as a rider, i did the novice class on my first track day but ended up begging them to move me to the inters because you get some really slow riders who havent got a clue how to take the right lines and they would turn in on you and brake in the strangest places but ive always been a confident and quick rider
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Cheers - how strict are they on dB limits and is easy to get tested (haven't bothered searching yet)?
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Try Martin Hopp http://www.hoppridertraining.co.uk/ - full tuition round Cadwell and might do Oulton too
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Stratman wrote:Try Martin Hopp http://www.hoppridertraining.co.uk/ - full tuition round Cadwell and might do Oulton too

that looks the biz, cheers :thumbup:
YETI

Post by YETI »

I DID MY FIRST WITH RON HASLAM ,WITH MY BROTHER ,IT WAS BRILLIANT.
FROM THERE I WENT TO FOCUSED EVENTS /VERY WELL ORGANISED AND SAFETY ORIENTATED
THEY HAVE THREE GROUPS, DEPENDANT ON WHAT YOU HAVE DONE BEFORE ,THEY PUT YOU IN THE CORRECT GROUP.
IVE BEEN WITH OTHER COMANIES, BUT FEEL THEY HAVE THE EDGE REF :ORGANISATION
HOPING TO DO SOME WITH THEM MYSELF THIS YEAR ,POSS BRANDS ( GP ) ,SILVERSTONE AND DONNINGTON WILL HAVE TO SEE / MIGHT SEE YOU THERE :thumbup: YETI
Strappy

Post by Strappy »

BigVeeGrin wrote:Cheers - how strict are they on dB limits and is easy to get tested (haven't bothered searching yet)?
Generally speaking, you'll be slung off if you score over 105dB at around 5,000rpm (the revs vary according to engine size and number of cylinders). If you've got standard cans, there'll be no problem. If you've got race cans then put the baffles in.* The marshalls will usually test you first thing in the morning, before signing on, and you'll get a sticker to put on the front of the bike - no sticker, no track. The majority of UK tracks test you these days, the only exceptions that I'm aware of are Knockhill and Anglesey and I think Knockers are going to start testing soon. You should get details of when the testing will take place with your pack from the organisers, testing is usually done for an hour before the briefing, you'll see everyone starting to queue up near the pits.

I did the Ron Haslem thing at Donington a few years ago, IMO it was a waste of money. Three 20-minute sessions with "classroom" sessions between that seemed to be little more than "stick your knee out to get it down". The instructor assigned to me and another pupil (2:1 pupils to instructors) clearly wasn't interested except when telling us what a great rider he was and everyone's on track at the same time so you have to pull over to let faster people through, which doesn't teach you how to put a track together with any kind of flow.

To be honest, you'll probably get better advice from an instructor on a track day and if you don't, ask another to go out with you, they won't mind, it's what they're there for. I'm not that keen on Focused Events, they're very quick to red flag a session and quite "preachy". I'll usually try to go for a session run by Hottrax or No Limits, especially recommend the latter for a first track day as they really seem to know what you're there for and make a point of looking after new riders. I've seen No Limits instructors go on track to pull in riders who've cut people up and ensure they don't do it again.

Keep in mind that smoother is faster. Put tape over your speedo - you don't want to reach the end of the straight chasing that top speed only to completely miss your braking point. Tape up or remove your mirrors and don't think of looking behind. If someone's going to pass you, that's their problem, not yours. Looking behind will freak you and them out, it's been done to me and I had no idea when the guy was planning to turn in. Keep to your line and faster riders will know when they can get past safely. Same applies when you're passing other people, it's up to you to get past safely, it's not up to them to make allowances or leave space for you.

Relax and enjoy yourself. I did my first track day at Cadwell 8 years ago in the novice group, didn't pass a single person all day and had an excellent time. :D

* You normally get two attempts at the noise test. Fail both and you're not riding. Get the first test done with the baffles so you get the sticker. You should be able to go back to retest without the baffles, passing with them earlier means you can still get on track. If you don't have baffles, improvise with crushed drinks cans or whatever you can find. Friend of mine has a 996 with Termi's, no baffles. He shoved 3 metal pan scrubbers into each can and then put a couple of bolts across the exits to hold them in. :thumbup:
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

doing my first trackday at snetterton week tomorrow(12th) with focused events, looking forward to it but still got a lot to do yet as the R6 is still in bits all over the place and i ain't got a van yet! or any other way of getting there but i have a plan so should't be then big probelem it sounds like.

sounds liek there migh be a forum trackday in the pipeline!!!!

dave
fritz

Post by fritz »

so you have never done a track day!!!!!!

tip 1... book in the under 5s class!!! Ive got track day stickers coming out of my ears but i still always feel more comfortable booking in novice group, and moving up later if the marshals feel its needed.

tip 2.... ask a marshal for guidance if you are at all unsure!! they do this for a living and are only to happy to impart there experience on you.

tip 3.. the people that run these events do it a lot, they know more than all your mates and there dads put together!!! (sorry if i offend anyone with this comment, but its true)

tip 4.... use your own bike!!! i hear a lot of folk saying they want to do a track day, but dont want to use there own bike!!! why??? you know how it handles, you know its limits(you should have a good idea anyway)...why go and ride a bike thats alien to you for the first time when you need some familiarity to ease you into the day??

tip 5... if you get tired, and you will, stop!!! sit out a session, just watch the others, dont go out for the last session with the mind set of "one fast lap before the day ends" that is when you crash!!!

tip 6... peek season, track days are, if your lucky in the sun, and you may well get a few extra outing compared to a winter track day, these days cost a lot more, but remember nothing saps your strength and concentration like heat and dehydration!!!!

tip 7... winter track days are cheap as wombles, £45 for silverstone GP was a wombles bargin!!! you might only get 4 or 5 outings in the day, but remember, nothing saps your strength and concentration like being cold and wet!!!

hope this helps you and no matter where you go or who you book with, talk to the marshals and take there advise when out on the track.

see you out there..fritz.