Miss Your Storm - Would you? Do You? Why?

General Bike chat

Miss your Storm??

I Do Miss It
14%
I Would Miss It
19%
I Don't Miss It
4%
I Want Another
5%
I'll Never part with my Storm
26%
I can't see myself replacing my Storm in the near future
31%

Total votes: 239

Kev L

Re: Miss Your Storm - Would you? Do You? Why?

Post by Kev L »

Didn't someone say they had done the fuel injection route and it worked? I think they promised to put info and pics up as well if I remember correctly. Be nice to see it done, even if it is beyond mere mortals. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's just swapping bits over from one engine to another, plus adding the various sensors (crankshaft/camshaft position), or fooling the system into thinking that they're fitted.

Of course, it's easy to say that, probably a bit more tricky to actually do......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

lumpyv wrote:i was reading about a yam MT01 the other day and would like to have a go on one. anyone know what they are like or got one?
I've quite fancied one since they came out, mahooosive V-twin etc. guy at work bought an MT-03 a couple of years ago which is a nice bike.

Then last Summer a mate at work who's just about ridden his GSX1400 into the ground, bought an MT-01 with full Akrapovic exhaust system. I had a quick blatt down a local stretch of motorway one lunchtime and kinda liked it. Lots of grunt, lots of noise. A tad too much vibration on the bars / hands for me and I'm used to the Storm, this has lots more vibration, which I suppose is only to be expected for a 1670cc lump.

Unfortunately I then took it for a blast on the Isle of Man at the Manx GP in August - I didn't go very far before I turned it round and took it back. Handles like a not very well handling thing. .

Goes OK, stops OK, handles like a super tanker, or maybe not that well. Not that I've ridden one (or sailed a super tanker for that matter), but maybe a comparison would be the V-Max really good bike as long as you don't want to corner quickly.

Good for mile crunching which is what my mate bought it for as he does a lot of rallies, but not for me I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, if I won the Lotto, I'd have one in the garage along with a lot of other bikes, but there's just no comparison to a Storm other than they are both V-twins.

HTH
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

nuff said! i should have guessed really. i,d prefer something that handles better than a storm not worse. praps i should save my pennies up for a ducati?
i sat on an 848 the other day and it was the most uncomfortable thing ever, didnt appear to have any rear suspension at all! it did look like a work of art though... beautiful
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Chillitt

Post by Chillitt »

I'm thinking of going for a Triumph Sprint rs... :oops: If I can round up some dosh and flog the VTR, I'll let you all know if I regret it.. :D
chric

Post by chric »

I got rid of my r reg 6 year ago due to illness.now fit as a fiddle and got a 03 reg last monday
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

First saw the VTR in 97, Mate bought one new in Red, I fell in love with it but could not afford to buy one at the time. Waited 4 years before I could get mine. Fantastic bike and one I could not see myself ever selling. I do a lot of milage on my bikes and found distance a pain on the VTR so bought a GSX1400 to do the milage and kept the VTR for the fun riding.
I did have a problem with the VTR and parked it up, (not intentionally) for a couple of years. Time flys...but am now ready for the girl to get back on the road and am looking forward to a summer of V Twin Grunt again... :thumbup:
I will be looking for a new bike sometime soon but will be getting rid of the GSX not the VTR...
futterbingers

Post by futterbingers »

I sold my '98 Vtr last year, after only owning it for 6/7 months, various reasons didn't have a bike for a few months, then bought an RS Sprint off fleabay for £500 - manky, while it had character, being a triple, it wasn't the same, sold it in Oct and bought another Vtr last week.
I've been brought up on a diet of inline fours, and never understood the twin thing, until recently, maybe it's age? Or maybe it's having your license taken off you! One of the two. The vtr is so much more relaxed, no searching for the end of the revs for me.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I love V twins, always have done, the feedback you get from them and the THUMP from beneath the bike I love it, I have my Harley Davidson Sportster, it shakes, it doesnt brake well, its not fast, but I get immense pleasure from going slow.

The Firestorm ticks all the right boxes, but goes fast, lets be honest how fast do you want to go on the roads, what with speed cameras and such.

I had a Firestorm a couple of years ago, but I really wanted a Harley and in a moment of madness swapped it for a VS800, I regreted it as I still went and bought the Harley.

I just swapped the Triumph speed four for this VTR and I will now keep the VTR till its written of or goes bang, I'm not a fan of Jap bikes, but I do like a storm.
opsmgr

Post by opsmgr »

I've had 2 'storms, the track bike, (that a friend of mine threw a lot of money at to make it go fast and handle right), and a stock one. The track bike has a very aggressive power delivery, but hasn't compromised the longevity of the engine so far ...

The mods weren't designed to make it a fire-breathing monster, just to make it more competitive against the other more modern bikes in its class, such as the SV1000 ...

Paul.
Brian1970

Post by Brian1970 »

this is my first Firestorm, and couldn't imagine me owning a different bike now
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bought my Storm new 10 years ago.

Recently bought a new bike but kept the Storm as well. Love it, but it realistically it's not worth a lot so kept it for commuting. The commute is 65 miles/day so it's now getting more use than ever :D

Been attacked by salt, dropped twice and has let me down once. Damn battery was only 7 years old! Not the prettiest example but I know I can rely on it and that's priceless. 22K Miles, original rectifier but did change the CCT's at 16K. Changed the oil every 4K, K&N so clean it occasionally, plugs at 12K, rear pads (pretty sure I'm still on the original fronts!) chain and sprockets at 16K (I do have a scottoiler) Changed the brake/clutch fluid a couple of times. Decent bulb as I ride in the dark a lot.

Reliable, easy to maintain and quick enough for me. My ambition is to wear it out :roll:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

My Storm threw a cam chain tensioner which cost a load of cash to fix. I lost confidence in it after that so ended up trading it in for a 600 Bandit.

I missed the feel of a twin so after a couple of single cylinder bikes got myself a Aprilia Falco.

My "need for speed" has deminished as I have matured so although the Falco was a much better bike out of the box than the Storm it was far to quick for me! :oops:

I ended up trading it in for Ducati Monster 1100.

Al.
rumpleforeskin

Post by rumpleforeskin »

I sold my storm at the end of last summer.
After upgrading the front suspension and doing the spacer mod it was a great ride.

It was the tank range that made the decision for me. worst time I was riding around Donegal and getting low on fuel, sat naved to the nearest station which was close to 20 miles out of my way, so when i refuelled and got back to where i was I was probably left with only 80 miles range as fuel goes fast on them twisty roads

Still love big twins though :D
Rob

Post by Rob »

I lost confidence in it after that so ended up trading it in for a 600 Bandit.
That's a bit like trading Holly Willoughby for Susan Boyle. :confused
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.