Miss Your Storm - Would you? Do You? Why?

General Bike chat

Miss your Storm??

I Do Miss It
14%
I Would Miss It
19%
I Don't Miss It
4%
I Want Another
5%
I'll Never part with my Storm
26%
I can't see myself replacing my Storm in the near future
31%

Total votes: 239

Leachy

Re: Miss Your Storm - Would you? Do You? Why?

Post by Leachy »

As regular post readers know i lost 1 back in october, i missed it that much that i went and got another!!!

this 1's black(last1 was red) and for some reason this 1 turns more heads despite it being "quieter" than the last,lmao

rode this 1 back from bradford (i live in manchester) in the snow,funny as hell!! defo need heated bar grips!!! anyway point i wanted to maker is, no other bike has given me the confidence to attempt it!!
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
JIMMYJAMES

Post by JIMMYJAMES »

JIMMYJAMES wrote:I changed from an SV650 to the storm and its good but not what i was expecting. The gear change is awful and clunky and nowhere near as slick as the SV, the power doesn't seem to be a great deal more than the SV, its scary in the wet, hard work in town and the annoying rattle will probably see the storm leaving my garage for good if i cant sort it. I should hate it but on the open road it all pails into insignificance and its big smiles all round again.

I'm sitting on the fence at the moment.
No longer sitting on the fence! All fixed and running a treat, best bike i have had so far :thumbup:
Red (the fastest colour) 98 Storm, APE CCT's ART Titanium high level cans, Airblade smoked double bubble screen and the shopping list is still growing!
shaun1978

Post by shaun1978 »

After a year of owning a mille, the storm was all but redundant so went on the bay of e's , and shipped over to Ireland.
Do I miss it? yes and no , I miss the low seat but on just about everything else it is outclassed, even the exhaust note sounded pap after I put a race can on the mille.
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

Have been doing this bike thing for 40+ years, have ridden most things from blades, to harleys, old brits, blah blah, but theres something about this Storm it just ticks ALL the boxs, you ride what you want, me, im happy ! :thumbup:

Steve97
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

I know just what you mean, I regret the day I sold mine. Had BMW, GSXR1000K6, Harley Superglide custom (been there an done it, big mistake) back on storm this year soon as study course is ended.
it may be clever, but its not big.
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

seems to me no one on here knows how to ride a twin in anger?? is it just me? if you throw it in a corner sideways [motard style] theres nothing better as nothing will spin up the rear like a twin with the right clutch control....! in standard trim the storm is a bit of a softie, but sort the front end and your laughing. decided to keep my technoflex shock on the sssarm conversion due to not being 8 stone [double it!!!!] but i fully intend to get my rear tyre within an inch of its life and my knee too. think of a vtr as a cheap 996 and your in my mind set,,,anything is possible.

my local bike club like to go everywhere at 50mph hence why i'm not a member, but i agree there are limits, just not found them yet, when i do i'll message from A&E.
single sided swing arms rule....!
rmh

Post by rmh »

I bought my Storm in 1999 as my first brand new and big bike.....and after ten years started looking at KTM supermoto`s

After starting out looking at a 640 KTM SM single i ended up buying a 2006 KTM 950SM twin which i love BUT....
The storm....is still sitting in the garage..... :eek2

So the insurance charges an extra £50 for having both but i cant sell it, so they just take turns to go out....they are so different but the KTM has made me enjoy the storm even more ....

Just put Bridgstone bt023s on the storm and they already seem to inspire confidence, first outing of about 30miles and the strips are pretty much all off :biggrin They were to relace the previous Bridgstones that get wrecked doing the Donnington track day which was scary as hell (first timer) but very enjoyable...

Anyway back to the question... can`t see the storm being for sale.... if i cant ride it i will frame it a spart of MY personal history....
Rob
Rob Hunter

VTR1000 '99 / BMW S1000XR - 2016
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

I bought mine a few years ago in red,after falling for the sound :) I put high level race cans on her (G-force) and have ridden it everywhere, fully love it to bits, but time and money saw it parked up with no insurance tax and mot for 14 months.....Had a buyer lined up at xmas but think he lost my number (Lucky me).

2 1/2 weeks ago, i dug her out of the shed, she passed mot, have insurance and tax, and rode it everyday since. Its just been stripped now, yesterday, and fairings gone away to be sprayed in repsol colours, while thats happening, gunna do cct`s and clean and service the old girl. back on road in new livery in bout a week and half...Cant wait.

Should of seen the grin i had for the last few weeks lol

I had a new lease of life, and so pleased i didnt part with her :):)
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

just picked up my black storm,the one i sold 2 year ago, took it in part ex for my sv1000 :D
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

VTRbob wrote:just picked up my black storm,the one i sold 2 year ago, took it in part ex for my sv1000 :D
What goes around comes around eh Bob :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

I have just sheeted my bike up for the winter and I'm pining already . Suppose it's not perfect but I like it.I hate driving cars.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

I use mine through the winter. Had it 18 months + now and you know, there's never a day I tire of going to work on it etc.

Do dream of an SP1/2 but that would be an addition. Mine might be getting a bit raggedy but I love it to bits - never could really say that about anything previous, had a Duc 907ie once but not that attached.

Here's a toast to a bike that i stumbled upon by accident when returning to the bike fold :beer:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

i put that i cant see myself changing it cos i need new windows for the front of my house ( tragic isnt it!) , i do also really like it, i also tried to think about the way i ride and what else i would get??

i was reading about a yam MT01 the other day and would like to have a go on one. anyone know what they are like or got one?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

I put I cant see myself changing it in the near future. I've ridden an old IL4 and I'd much rather the V Twin power delivery. With the IL4 its all high revs and screaming engine which struggles at low revs, and the storm is the opposite. She trundles along quite happily at low revs and a twist of the wrist and your doing silly speeds. Even doing 100+ down the... erm.... private motorway :shh: :shifty: she purrs along at a sedate rev's. Cant see me getting bored of that any time soon.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

For me the only thing that gets me bored with a bike is the waiting time.
That is, you change gear, then wait, and wait, until you can change gear again.
I sort of got that with mine, which is why I spent time and money on getting 20% more ponies out of the engine.

It now feels fast again, and I can't imagine how I could get used to this much power and get bored again, but I probably will, sooner or later.

That's when I'll start looking at SP1's and 2's......
I could get more out of the Storm, but it starts affecting reliability- and I could do without the swing arm parting company with the back of the gearbox under full acceleration :eek2

(Although I might be tempted to add the Fi system from a later Varadero and nitrous, just for the drag strip :evil: :twisted: :twisted: )
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.