Post by sirch345 »

Welcome back Chris :thumbup:

It's amazing how time just goes :eh:

Chris.
Mav617

Re: Getting bike running after 2 years?

Post by Mav617 »

Nice to see you back with us Ziggy! :clap:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Cheers all. Glad to be back. In the process now of servicing it ready for MOT and the road.

A few years ago I used to know a little about the storm and how to do the basic jobs. I've just taken off the tank and now I'm stuck already.

Can someone tell me what the thin tube from the tank is please? The one that goes to a t piece then gets blanked off?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Miztaziggy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:50 pm Cheers all. Glad to be back. In the process now of servicing it ready for MOT and the road.

A few years ago I used to know a little about the storm and how to do the basic jobs. I've just taken off the tank and now I'm stuck already.

Can someone tell me what the thin tube from the tank is please? The one that goes to a t piece then gets blanked off?

VTR1000f undertank pipe location..jpg
Thin one should be the vac pipe t- piice is for carb balance...
Z Petcock pipe fekup reminder....jpg
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Lovely!!
Cheers Mac

Can't be sure, but think the vac was connected to that one that says No!

Actually the one that it should connect to points 90 deg to the one in the photo....

With fuel tap turned on, or off, no fuel comes out of the fuel lines, is that correct or something blocked?

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Miztaziggy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:43 pm With fuel tap turned on, or off, no fuel comes out of the fuel lines, is that correct or something blocked?

That is how it should be. Petrol should only flow once a vacuum is applied to the outlet spigot shown by the red allow in Mac's photo.
If you put a short length of hose on that outlet and suck on it manually petrol should flow and stop when you stop sucking. That will show it's working as it should do,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Miztaziggy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:43 pm Lovely!!
Cheers Mac

Can't be sure, but think the vac was connected to that one that says No!

Actually the one that it should connect to points 90 deg to the one in the photo....

With fuel tap turned on, or off, no fuel comes out of the fuel lines, is that correct or something blocked?

No fule should come out unless the engine is running, the vac pipe conected to the correct spigot, the vac pulls the internal diaphragm open & fule flows... When you pull the fule lines off the petcock some fule may come out of the pipes but that is only whats in the pipes.

Are you saying the the spigots are 6 o/c & 3 o/c rather than 9 o/c & 6 o/c ? If so it's been apart at some stage & just been put back on wrong...

Can you post a pic up of it please...?
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Thanks guys.

No, the 2 fuel lines are the same as your pic, just on your pic the vac line is parallel with one of the fuel lines. On mine, it's at 90 degrees to the fuel lines.

Maybe it's just a different model? I think I have the smaller tank on mine, maybe that's why?

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Miztaziggy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 pm Thanks guys.

No, the 2 fuel lines are the same as your pic, just on your pic the vac line is parallel with one of the fuel lines. On mine, it's at 90 degrees to the fuel lines.

Maybe it's just a different model? I think I have the smaller tank on mine, maybe that's why?

That is a 16ltr tank... As said if its points down its just been put back on wrong...

From what your saying the spigot that should be pointing down is now in line with the r/h fule outlet, yes ?
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

It's like this Mac....

https://ibb.co/MSFjYgB

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Just looking at the pipes again....

I appear to only have 4. When I disconnected, i think I had the 2 fuel lines plus the green vac line (goes to a t piece) and the overflow that goes to drain. There doesn't seem to be the vent pipe anywhere? Is it required?

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Is it required?
Useful to have the vent hose leading away correctly it as it helps stop fuel landing on top of a hot engine...

And this looks wrongly put back together - easy to rotate it back to normal so the vacuum hose spiggot faces the right way
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Wicky wrote:
Is it required?
Useful to have the vent hose leading away correctly it as it helps stop fuel landing on top of a hot engine...

And this looks wrongly put back together - easy to rotate it back to normal so the vacuum hose spiggot faces the right way
Thanks Wicky, that pic confirms my pipe is missing.... there's only 2 coming down through frame, one to coolant and 1 to tank.

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

After an oil and fuel change, general clean out and check over, it lives!!

Just need to get a back tyre on, new headlight bulb, brake fluid and I'll be ready to go.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Miztaziggy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Thanks Wicky, that pic confirms my pipe is missing.... there's only 2 coming down through frame, one to coolant and 1 to tank.

[/quote]

Which one is missing The thin pipe to the thin spigot is a breather, the fatter pipe is the fule overflow, more important IMO, if you splosh some fule when refilling, without that pipe as Wicky says it can splosh down over the rear header...not good...

Let me know I have some spare in stock...