RST or Richa leathers?

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: RST or Richa leathers?

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:08 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:14 pm
KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:41 pm I have some RST leather lowers and they seem OK. Thick leather, well made. I've never fallen off in them so can't make any other comment.

Pete's brother Graham was wearing leathers when he fell off in Wales and they split at the seam. Can't remember the brand but I should find out and avoid.

The only leathers I have really tested were mtm Manx leathers. Boy, did they slide well. No idea if they make them to the same quality now
Thanks Iain for your reply :thumbup:
May be Pete can tell us what leathers his brother was wearing that split, that would be good for us all to know.

I'm with you regarding what the racers wear. I bet their kit would cost a small fortune were it available to the general public and it must be tailor made to suit each individual rider I would imagine.

Not a pointless post :D

Chris.
I don’t think Graham’s leathers were a fair test to be honest. They were very old and should have been changed years ago.
Or maybe that’s the lesson learned and we should replace our kit periodically and not just keep wearing it even if we’ve looked after it and not “tested it”Image

I was in the same situation as you Chris. I needed some leathers this summer and didn’t know what what was still good value and reasonable price and quality.
I tried on shed loads of brands. In the end I realised that a lot of the stuff out there is just a poor fit and unless money is no object and you can have a custom fit made your best option is to trade off comfort and quality and see where you end up.
I had even tried on some of the most expensive brands.
I ended up with RST and BKS as two of the best fitting comfiest fitting off the peg leathers. The leather feels pretty reasonable and hopefully the stitching will do its job.
Happy huntingImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Pete for posting that, you have made some valid points there.

The one about how often we should we be replacing out kit is a very good point in my view. You think about the leather still being good after many years, as it never seems to wear out with normal use, but you don't give the stitching a 2nd thought, or at least I hadn't. Then I start to think about how many times the stitching has got wet from the rain and has dried out until the next time. So unless the stitching is water proof that must take a hand in weakening it on top of the normal wear and tear it gets everytime it's used.

As for fit for the individual, most of us must be different shapes and sizes which can't help. I agree custom made would be the best option if it were not for the cost.

It's good to hear from someone else who has been in my situation :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm The trouble is that leathers are the opposite of tyres, in that your old ones always fit better, feel more comfortable and you are used to them.
Even good new ones are stiff and feel that they're inflexible at first, until you bed them in a bit.

Give them a while and they feel like home, and if you have a dog, smell like home too....

New tyres, on the other hand, always feel superb when compared to the old ones, and always will.

Oh, and I have a Richa two piece and it fits, is comfy and was reasonably cheap. Haven't had a big off since buying them, so can't really comment on stitching after a tumble.
Thanks Tony for you input, you're probably right with leathers being the opposite to tyres :)

Chris.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:38 pm As for fit for the individual, most of us must be different shapes and sizes which can't help. I agree custom made would be the best option if it were not for the cost.

Chris.
This is why I mentioned Furygan in my earlier post, they seem to make them to fit men in the real world, I found them extremely comfortable from the word go, and if you shop around or phone and ask there will be deals to be had, especially at this time of year.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cheekykev wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:39 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:38 pm As for fit for the individual, most of us must be different shapes and sizes which can't help. I agree custom made would be the best option if it were not for the cost.

Chris.
This is why I mentioned Furygan in my earlier post, they seem to make them to fit men in the real world, I found them extremely comfortable from the word go, and if you shop around or phone and ask there will be deals to be had, especially at this time of year.
Don't worry Kev I have all the info in my brain including yours from your first post :wink: :D

Pete's post must mean he is a skinny fecker :lol: just like we'd all like to be :wink:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 pm Pete's post must mean he is a skinny fecker just like we'd all like to be
You charmer :D I wish. My waistline went along with everything else quite a while ago now :lol: :lol: :lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Pete, skinny! Should have gone to specsavers. :wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm
sirch345 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 pm Pete's post must mean he is a skinny fecker just like we'd all like to be
You charmer :D I wish. My waistline went along with everything else quite a while ago now :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to worry Pete you're not alone :lol:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Kev L wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:08 pm Pete, skinny! Should have gone to specsavers. :wave:
:lol: :lol:
I luv that advert! Especially the one where the Shuttle lands at Luton Airport. :D

Oh! And be careful old fuzzy features. You won't always have those charming good looks. One day you'll wake up and put your glasses on BEFORE you look in the mirror :Tongue:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I think my Mrs has taken down all the mirrors and put pictures of my Dad up instead!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

In my search for some new leathers I have a question about the infill panels in certain motorcycle leather jackets and trousers which is not leather.

What I would like to know is, are these infill panels on the trousers (as below outlined with red lines) going to give me a soaking in the groin area (or arms area on the jacket) should I get caught out in the rain, or even feel colder in these area's in the winter :?:
I have only ever had motorcycle leather jackets and trousers that have been all leather up until now.

Any advice or help very much appreciated,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yes to both questions Chris. :(

The Kevlar cloth is there to provide more stretch and to aid ventilation on non impact areas. So when it rains those are the first places that get cold and wet.

I have been Known to pull a plastic shopping bag apart and stratigicaly place it down the front of my trousers on a wet or cold day, that works wonders.
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 pm Yes to both questions Chris. :(

The Kevlar cloth is there to provide more stretch and to aid ventilation on non impact areas. So when it rains those are the first places that get cold and wet.

I have been Known to pull a plastic shopping bag apart and stratigicaly place it down the front of my trousers on a wet or cold day, that works wonders.
Yes as Al says...re the panels, not sure about the plastic bags & getting caught short ect...but then he is Scotish...

I go for a set of Oxford rain over covers, a size or two oversize they even fit over my textiles, roll up fairly small, bit flappy but that I can put up with as long as they keep most of the wet out on the ocasional commute to work, not had the need to use them of late... :lol:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Oxf ... /23347.htm

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Oxf ... /22963.htm

You can even go Hi-Vis if your that way inclined...

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Oxf ... /22630.htm
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Al for clearing that up, that's answered my queries perfectly :thumbup:
A good tip with the shopping bag :) nothing worse than getting wet in that area when out on your bike :wink: Well there probably is but, it don't feel like it at the time :lol:
MacV2 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 am

Yes as Al says...re the panels, not sure about the plastic bags & getting caught short ect...but then he is Scotish...

I go for a set of Oxford rain over covers, a size or two oversize they even fit over my textiles, roll up fairly small, bit flappy but that I can put up with as long as they keep most of the wet out on the ocasional commute to work, not had the need to use them of late... :lol:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Oxf ... /23347.htm

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Oxf ... /22963.htm

You can even go Hi-Vis if your that way inclined...

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Oxf ... /22630.htm
:lol: I don't think Al mentioned anything about getting caught short :)

Thanks for the links Mac, and for the information on what you use, that's great :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Still better than Harley chaps, whoever came up with that design?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:24 pm Still better than Harley chaps, whoever came up with that design?
Allegedly they look good on certain women :wink:

Chris.