The time has come..

General Bike chat
User avatar
mattster
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Paisley

Re: The time has come..

Post by mattster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:00 pm

sirch345 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 pm
So what's your opinion on the new bike Matt now you've had chance to get some miles in, well hopefully you have :?:
What's the wind protection like compared to the Storm :?:

Chris.
Only done the 200ish miles on it so far, so still not fully gelled with it..

Wind protection is non-existent compared with the storm, can imagine a sore neck occuring after long fast rides..
I cant ride the Speed without earplugs - far too noisy. The db screen on the storm must do enough to channel the air over/around my lid as it's nowhere near as loud on that.

Haven't rushed out on it since the last time as I need to get the back wheel off to get the chain cleaned/lubed/adjusted properly, but the lack of a single sided paddock stand and a 46mm socket has delayed me! Abba stand just arrived, so hopefully get it sorted this weekend.

Some additional bike jiggerypokery has taken place, the project Superdream has been sold (3 years on, zero progress made) and the wife's fazer is most likely going to be sold too... plan then is for her to insure the Storm for the occasional run out and I'll be able to have a wee shot now and again.. :thumbup:

grumpyfrog
Posts: 1270
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Tayside

Re: The time has come..

Post by grumpyfrog » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Great decision there...
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time

User avatar
sirch345
Site Admin
Posts: 17149
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:35 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: The time has come..

Post by sirch345 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 pm

mattster wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:00 pm
sirch345 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 pm
So what's your opinion on the new bike Matt now you've had chance to get some miles in, well hopefully you have :?:
What's the wind protection like compared to the Storm :?:

Chris.
Only done the 200ish miles on it so far, so still not fully gelled with it..

Wind protection is non-existent compared with the storm, can imagine a sore neck occuring after long fast rides..
I cant ride the Speed without earplugs - far too noisy. The db screen on the storm must do enough to channel the air over/around my lid as it's nowhere near as loud on that.

Haven't rushed out on it since the last time as I need to get the back wheel off to get the chain cleaned/lubed/adjusted properly, but the lack of a single sided paddock stand and a 46mm socket has delayed me! Abba stand just arrived, so hopefully get it sorted this weekend.

Some additional bike jiggerypokery has taken place, the project Superdream has been sold (3 years on, zero progress made) and the wife's fazer is most likely going to be sold too... plan then is for her to insure the Storm for the occasional run out and I'll be able to have a wee shot now and again.. :thumbup:
I did wonder if you would have had the time to cover some more miles going by your original post.

The reason I asked about the wind protection, I saw a Speed triple local to me and I did think about changing bikes, well only for a very short time :wink: but went with the Renthal flat bar handlebar conversion instead. This was due to problems I was getting with my neck from the clip-on handlebars. I have to say the bar conversion has helped a lot, the bike now is so much more pleasurable to ride.
I did wonder if that little screen your bike has would help at all, but going by your reply is doesn't sound like it does a lot :)

Your plan sounds like a good one :thumbup:

Chris.
A closed mouth gathers no foot. :thumbup:

User avatar
mattster
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Paisley

Re: The time has come..

Post by mattster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:12 pm

sirch345 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 pm

I did wonder if you would have had the time to cover some more miles going by your original post.

The reason I asked about the wind protection, I saw a Speed triple local to me and I did think about changing bikes, well only for a very short time :wink: but went with the Renthal flat bar handlebar conversion instead. This was due to problems I was getting with my neck from the clip-on handlebars. I have to say the bar conversion has helped a lot, the bike now is so much more pleasurable to ride.
I did wonder if that little screen your bike has would help at all, but going by your reply is doesn't sound like it does a lot :)

Your plan sounds like a good one :thumbup:

Chris.
Not much time to get out for a run at the moment, but that's ok - I'll get out on it soon enough i'm sure.
One thing I've maybe not mentioned enough is that it is rapid.... Any gear any speed it just gets up and goes... very addictive. My storm takes a lot of provocation to lift the front under power alone, the speed will do it with ease!

I converted my Storm to renthals a few years ago, it definitely makes a great bike even better. Much comfier and easier to throw into corners.

grumpyfrog wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:39 pm
Great decision there...
sirch345 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Your plan sounds like a good one :thumbup:
Cheers!

User avatar
sirch345
Site Admin
Posts: 17149
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:35 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: The time has come..

Post by sirch345 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Cheers Matt for your reply :thumbup:

Fingers crossed you do find sometime to get out on the bike before the bad weather gets here,

Chris.
A closed mouth gathers no foot. :thumbup:

User avatar
mattster
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Paisley

Re: The time has come..

Post by mattster » Fri May 25, 2018 9:11 am

Wee update to this saga....

Didn't gel with the Speed Triple, windblast got annoying quickly, exhaust note (whine?) didn't sound good unless you were properly on it, ventura rails wouldn't fit with aftermarket exhaust/tail tidy....

so 500 miles later, it was back up for sale.

Sold it for a £5 profit, so not too bad... :thumbup:

Now in it's place is a 2014 Z1000SX - it's a belter so far! 800 miles done in just over a month..

(Storm is still here too!)

User avatar
sirch345
Site Admin
Posts: 17149
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:35 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: The time has come..

Post by sirch345 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks for the update Matt :thumbup:

Good luck with the 2014 Z1000SX,

Chris.
A closed mouth gathers no foot. :thumbup:

User avatar
AMCQ46
Posts: 14278
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Worcestershire / Warwickshire border

Re: The time has come..

Post by AMCQ46 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:01 am

I do like the spec of the zSX bikes ... Would love to try the H2 version :D

So matt, will we see you in August when we are riding through Ayr?
AMcQ

User avatar
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer
Posts: 6394
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:09 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: The time has come..

Post by Pete.L » Tue May 29, 2018 5:02 pm

AMCQ46 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:01 am
I do like the spec of the zSX bikes ... Would love to try the H2 version :D
Oh Gawd!
He's had a go on a rather nice Aprilla and noow he's gone power mad 8O
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal

User avatar
mattster
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Paisley

Re: The time has come..

Post by mattster » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:04 pm

AMCQ46 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:01 am
I do like the spec of the zSX bikes ... Would love to try the H2 version :D

So matt, will we see you in August when we are riding through Ayr?
I'd love to try the H2 version as well....

Possibly - I've put the dates on my calendar, I'll see if I'm available nearer the time and give you guys a shout!

Post Reply