CBR1000 Firestorm

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
StormyRob

Re: CBR1000 Firestorm

Post by StormyRob »

Wow this is quite nice. Lots of effort. I have never seen one like that before.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Thanks! My intention was to have something a bit unusual and I'm happy with it so far. I am now awaiting bits to come back from powder coaters etc so I can start the rebuild after the teardown. I am in the middle of electroplating and will be posting a mini guide of how I do it and before and after type things if anyone is interested it may be of some use. :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The electro plating guide would be interesting mate. I've done it a few times on recent resto's I've done, GT250 and TS50x with varying degrees of success. Be good to see how someone else does it and any tips I can glean.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

moto1818 wrote: I am in the middle of electroplating and will be posting a mini guide of how I do it and before and after type things if anyone is interested it may be of some use. :thumbup:
That sounds great :thumbup:

Chris.
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

any updates mate, theres a storm on ebay at the mo with similar mods looks a nice bit of kit
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Not really, awaiting stuff back from all the various vendors. I've been electroplating and waiting! If your referring to the Firestorm with the SP1 kit on it? With the greatest respect I'd be massively disappointed if mine had the finish of that, good idea but badly finished in my view. I'll be updating in the next couple of weeks with the start of the rebuild to a finish.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

OK, so as promised my mini guide of how I electroplate all my grotty bolts and bits.

I start off by thoroughly degreasing everything.

Then ultrasonically cleaning.

:Beer Popcorn:

After cleaning I grit blast with ultra fine media. Next is to buff up as best I can on the wire wheel.

Next up is 30 mins back in the ultrasonic cleaner. Now I am ready for the plating process. At this point no grease or any contaminants are allowed. I like to draw comparison's with the wife and her orders. Do NOT deviate from what is said and all will be well, meaning follow all steps precisely and don't think for yourself because if you do you will be sorry!

I have done this for a few years now and as soon as you try and save time it costs you time but when it comes together its a great feeling.

I don clean gloves and remove the items that are next up for plating and wrap copper wire around them somewhere to secure them to where they will hang for when I dip them in my electrolyte.

This is my set up, the bar going across is what I hang my parts off.

I dip my parts in a cleaning acid. This also acts as a promoter for the plating process. I leave sat in the acid for approximately 40 seconds.

After this I clean thoroughly in super clean water.

Then I hang all parts on my bar that goes across the container, next is to set a current through the system. I will try to explain as best I can but an expert may choke on his kit kat so sorry to any experts!

This is a picture of my plating factory in full swing. Notice the bar across the container has wires hanging off them. On the end of each wire is a part that is being plated. The idea is that you pass a controlled current (I use a battery charger with a crude resistor of coiled wire) through a wire that is wrapped around the circumference of the top of the container. Off this wire is a some anodes or lumps of metal, in this case zinc anodes. The anodes are sat in my electrolyte (the liquid in the container) I connect my earth lead from my battery charger to bar across the top of the container. Once the controlled current is energised approx 0.5 volts after my resistor it passes through my wire around the top of the container, through the anodes and liberates some of the metal (zinc) which then travels through the electrolyte to my metal parts, through the bar across the top of the container and lastly through my earth wire making a circuit. I do not know the mechanism at play that passes metal to my parts but I like it.

Finally after the plating has transferred across a lovely shiny part will be pulled out of the electrolyte. I thoroughly wash in clean water then passivate the part. Passivation serves two purposes, it gives excellent rust prevention and colours the part. I have a few colours but for this project I have chosen a silvery colour that looks like it has an oil sheen on it!

This is a minimal overview of electroplating but its so easy and worthwhile to do. I would be more than happy if anyone wanted any further info.

Some pictures.

Before.

After.

These bolts where rusty as anything, you can see the pits but a nice finish for an old bolt?

I have all my parts back from the vendors. My swingarm has been braced.

Just jigging up so that I could weld the modified bracket for the fireblade brake mount.

A piccy of my mates lovely hybrid LC, just refreshed the engine for him. Its a Mick Abbey tuned bike, its quick. I made a copy of the tune for future reference :D

Last edited by moto1818 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Interested to see the results of this. Unfortunately I have none of the cleaning items you mention so I just replaced all my crappy bolts!
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

A few bits all ready to go.

A few more bits plated.

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Looks really good. I wish I had access to such a set up.
One question. Where do you attach the spoon? Or have you got a spoondon frame like Fabios?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Pete.L wrote:Looks really good. I wish I had access to such a set up.
One question. Where do you attach the spoon? Or have you got a spoondon frame like Fabios?

The spoon is part of the auto snack feed system. Being a porker I like to keep topped up while on a long ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Few more pictures. I have completed the carb rebuild, set the valve clearances on the motor and started bolting bits to it. I like to assemble as much as possible before I lay the chassis over the engine. I then lift the lot up and build from there.

Chassis being put together.

I intend to press on and get the thing build now so I'll post pictures as I go.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

watch out not to scratch your nice and shiny rear cam cover when you lower the frame over it.... there is feck all clearance and you need to wiggle it a bit to fit over.

either fit an old cover that is scratched anyway, or cover the new cover in tape to protect it
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Seeing that engine looking absolutely beautiful is just pushing me more and more towards dropping mine out!

Need to resist that
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Subframe assembled and fitted.

Fairing mount spun up on my lathe.

And fitted.

My finished piece that hopefully will tidy up the subframe to tank area and make it flow better. Yet to be painted and fitted exactly but you get the idea.

Harris rearsets.