mik_str

Re: CBR1000 Firestorm

Post by mik_str »

Nice project!!!!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Hi, had to work so not as much done as expected but not to worry. I have finished the battery box and exhaust. The exhaust straps are not shown in the piccys as I made some as a pattern and have sent them away to have some proper ones made but the exhausts are in the finished position, not really Panigale ha but I like them :cool2 the exhaust straps mount to the battery box on the two welded bosses as seen in the picture. The battery box looks pants in the picture but I'm pleased with it, its better than it seems. I made it out of an old toolbox and didn't pay a penny for it. I should mention I'm as tight as a drum and don't spend unless I'm desperate! The box fills all the gaps on the underside and meets nicely with the bottom part of the tail fairing. I have bought an old blade swingarm and as seen mounted the bracing on the firestorm swinger. I like it. All my ally welding will be done by an old fella locally called Mr Strant, this guy I kid you not is at least mid eighties and works everyday. I have massive respect for him and hope one day to be half as good as him, he is an inspiration to me, he always gets the job done right......legend. He will be bracing the swingarm, bracing the headstock and welding bosses on the frame for the fairing mounts. I will be getting a move on now with the bike because after Christmas I'll be working a fair bit so I'll need everything that needs outside work (powder coat etc) with them. I will be electroplating all my bolts early next week and I'm looking forward to it, I love it.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Never get a job for Micron but I'm happy with it.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Looking good Moto :clap:
Keep up the good work,

Chris.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Cheers Chris :thumbup:

Loving my project and I'm pleased with how its looking apart from how the subframe meets the fram, i am going to rework that bit. I reckon this is going to be fairly light bike when its done. When I'm wheeling it about it feels so easy after moving my YZF 750. I'm starting to consider how to save weight further but I know it takes serious money to shave big weight.

Started getting all my chemicals ready to electroplate and passivate every fitting and bolt that won't be stainless and can't wait. I always love doing this, its takes ages to get everything blasted, cleaned and properly degreased but its worth it because the results are new looking parts and cheap ha!

Cheers,

Bill.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

moto1818 wrote:Cheers Chris :thumbup:
Started getting all my chemicals ready to electroplate and passivate every fitting and bolt that won't be stainless and can't wait. I always love doing this, its takes ages to get everything blasted, cleaned and properly degreased but its worth it because the results are new looking parts and cheap ha!

Cheers,

Bill.
All this sounds very interesting. It'll be good to see the results :thumbup:
Is this going to be zinc or nickel plating :?:

Chris.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

It will be Zinc plating. I'm not sure what colour to passivate after plating. I like the bluey silver but don't know if the Yamaha green will be best or Yellow or Silver aaargh not sure!
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

I have grit blasted every last bracket and nut/bolt that I'm plating, next is degrease and then ultrasonic clean. After that an acid bath and neutralizer then plating. It takes ages but the results always amaze me. I could send them all to Allenchrome and they do an ace job but I get a buzz out of knowing I've done it :think:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for the follow up info on the plating :thumbup:
I would get more out of it doing the job myself rather than paying someone else to do it too. Do post up some photo's :)

Chris.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

A few more pictures including my ugly mug.

I have moved the exhausts further apart, I'd have liked them closer but started sweating they where to close to the tyre.

I don't like this bit it looks a bit bare I'm going to make some fairing to fil the gap.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

looks great, very different, good job. sell it me cheap, i will freely advertise your good work :lol: Happy Chrimbo too.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

bigtwinthing wrote:looks great, very different, good job. sell it me cheap, i will freely advertise your good work :lol: Happy Chrimbo too.

Hahaha! You can borrow it no problem :D cheers and Merry Christmas to you :P
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

This looks very interesting and inertive . Keep it up as I'm looking forward to seeing it reach completion :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The cans look great from behind :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

thats a hell of a lot of work you have put in :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: