2000 Yellow Storm

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Matti_f

2000 Yellow Storm

Post by Matti_f »

Sold my clio 172 cup earlier this year and roughly two days later arrived home with this.

Always had a soft spot for twins my dad has had plenty including two VTRs and a tl-s this is a cat c but cleaner than ever "honest" bike I looked at has a few tweaks already and is fairly clean but it is a 16 year old bike so it's not mint but it will get there.

Plans are just enjoy over the summer then over the winter strip clean paint and we will see what else takes my fancy.

All tucked up at my parents with my dad's wing

Will update as I go along all comments welcome
Matti_f

Re: 2000 Yellow Storm

Post by Matti_f »

Sorted a few bits that had annoyed me when I first bought the storm.

1. Stripped down all the plastics and replaced the bolts some had rounded others didn't match, so new bolt kit was bought fairings stripped and cleaned and then polished and waxed.

2. Allow though previous owners had braided lines fitted they have been cable tied onto forks and frame etc... Which annoyed my ocd so new hel clamps were ordered and promptly fitted.

3. The bike is 2000 and has been in production from 1997 so isn't the most modern of motorcycles aesthetically, i new I wasn't going to be buying a new blade or ninja but the indicators really dated the bike I felt so new set of micros front and rear and I think it updated it nicely without looking out of place.

3. The scorpion pipes had been fitted but the rhs hanger was damaged and bodied to hold the pipe in place, I could find the plastic clamps the pipes came with so sourced a pair of aftermarket claims from eBay and fitted.

4. Hugger was butchered and melted so was promptly pulled off, plan is to brace the swinger with the 94ish blade brace at which time I'll mod a new style angled hugger.

5. Wing mirrors were marked and aged so a quick cost of satin black freshens them.

6. Metal work was all polished and cleaned no rust or rot found or left, headers need more of a polish for me to be happy but that's a winter job.

7. Front forks were worn and pitied so quick coat of silver later and like new.

8. When stripping the bike I mangled to lower bolt hole in the Lhs of the front mudguard down to a rounded bolt in a fit of anger, so I sourced a new mud guard but it was the darker shade of yellow from the earlier bikes, so it was painted satin black along with the belly pan in the meantime until I decide my future plans for the bike.

9. A Previous owner had fitted length adjustable levers that at some stage someone removed the extender from leaving behind random pointy short levers so a new set was sourced and fitted from China lol hard to knock took 6 weeks but for the cost and quality I think they are great, perfect fit also.

The bike will always be a work in progress for the next couple of years so I have a couple of plans for it most will be winter projects etc....

* Have carbs cleaned and setup along with tps checked and calibrated possibly Dyno jet kit
* paint radiators and possibly frame textured black
* brace swing arm
* modify hugger to suit
* service forks and fit new internals
* fit new shock spring

Also toying with the idea of cafe racer, never felt the storm suited being a fighter with side radiators and flat level to the tail units lines. But I found a bike for sale that has been modified and I think it really suits the theme so may have a go in the winter (I'm sure plenty of eagle eyed members will have spotted this bike), all mods with be budget dependent at the end of the day the bike will only depreciate in value and a fist fully of mods will lose money so plan is no matter what I do leave it reversible to put bike standard when time comes to sell.

Thanks for looking all comments and advised gratefully received

Cheers Matt
popkat

Post by popkat »

Hi Matt,
Nice clean looking bike, same model year and colour as mine :thumbup:
Lots of plans for it then, whatever mods take your fancy, personally I prefer the standard look for a firestorm and just get them working and riding right, they are dated but that's part of the history now..
Sorry I don't like the café racer type one in the picture at all, some bikes it works quite well on but not in my opinion a Storm, but each to their own, if you can make a nice one I'll be at the front of the queue with compliments.

There may be other owners in your area, Pop your location by your profile pic, I'd take a guess at NI though by the number plates.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looks like a nice clean yellow'un mate, keep up the good work. as for the modified bike, erm I like the nose fairing.....that is all I have to say..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Matti_f

Post by Matti_f »

Quite right guys each to there own I know wouldn't like a storm modified outside what the majority on this forum do, but that one caught my imagination but time will tell.

One thing is wrecking my brain is the gap on the tail unit between the seat and plastics is quite large anyone came across a cause of this ? I want it flush as it would have been originally.

Thanks for the input guys.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

One thing is wrecking my brain is the gap on the tail unit between the seat and plastics is quite large anyone came across a cause of this ?

Have you got the seat pushed down nice a tight & secure?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Matti_f

Post by Matti_f »

Yup, have had it off and on half a dozen times, I think possibly my plastics are sitting lower than they should.

Going to attempt to fit a couple of spacers in the hope it lifts it to meet.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Warm the seat up and eat more pies?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nice clean yellow one that. The last pic of the storm looks like you have added an 80's polaroid effect to it. As for the gap at the rear you may find it easier to move the tail fairing a tad higher. Prop it up with some sticky pads or something.

The White one is a drag bike with that length swingarm. I quite like it accept for the side mounted rads. I think they look weird uncovered like that.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote:Warm the seat up and eat more pies?
:lol: :thumbup:

A very clean tidy looking bike you have there Matt :thumbup:

I don't dislike the cafe racer, but I know it would look better without the standard rads being on the sides,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nice looking bike sir.... didnt realise you where on here :thumbup: .. hopefully see you floating about the roads.. :wave:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
pat_986

Post by pat_986 »

Great project. Love the vent holes on the side, I presume to cool the RR?