Silverstorm 12 Months on

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
kev64

Silverstorm 12 Months on

Post by kev64 »

So I hit 50 , 12months ago and decided I wanted to get back into biking after a 10 year break (my wife had left and I needed a new hobby, not that my wife was a hobby !! :eh: ) So when I got my first firestorm about 12 months ago, it was very silver, a few people said it was maybe to silver.
I agreed it was a bit and the more I looked the more things I found to change.
I joined the forum and went on the welsh run which was fun, and generally I enjoyed biking again. Over the winter months I started doing a few bits and pieces both technical stuff (thanks guys for your help, and also steve97 for lots of help and advice) and some cosmetic stuff, some worked some didn't.
During the winter months, my garden started to resemble a junk yard !, which was ok but my wife moved back in and wasn't too happy (and still isn't, but shes moved out again now :thumbup: )
So all ive got for shelter is a side entry on the house and I built a plastic roof which has proven in valuable, however space to work around the bike was very tight !
So ive got so far with this on going project and will probably change things again (but maybe not this year)
I had no idea how much you can do to a motorcycle to improve it till I came on this forum ( and sometimes I wish I hadn't)

A few pics of the changes ive made, It aint perfect, some stuff has gotta be done again, some stuff will be done again by other people !!
But I tried !!!Image
ImageImage

ImageImage!Image
My spray booth in the hallway :thumbup:
Satin black (looks more like matt black) exhaust pipework

The junk yard ! :crazy:

So I done too much to detail, but ive done all the important mods required and happy that the bike handles and runs well, and sort of like the look of it now !! Thank god for EBay !
Im still messing with the carbs (an ongoing side project) not quite got that right yet !!!

Things i wanna do this winter

Front forks modding (maybe Rogered if I can afford it) also respray fork legs
Bits of paintwork need respraying (not by me this time)
The exhaust black paint is coming off slowly, so I will be going back to polishing again !!
Bellypan to spray

As i said, lots of bits to finish (mainly my painting f**k ups), however this on going project is just that, for the moment im just enjoying riding, and it sure is a pleasure !
Im a trier thats for sure !

Once again folks, thanks for all your help and advice, and to steve 97 for his knowledge, help and generally being a mate !
I aint finished yet !! (will up date from time to time :D )

Kev :beer:
AMCQ46

Re: Silverstorm 12 Months on

Post by AMCQ46 »

Looks bloody good to me, great work :thumbup:

You going to Wales meet up in sept?
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

The black frame really helps break up the silver :-) .
Looks good well done
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Its one of them bikes that look from a distance !! haha

Yes, going to Wales, saturday morning, B&B sat night :thumbup:
see you there !
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Fitted some new fairing indicators.

Also, latest carb adjustments; Back to standard, then front carb slide hole filled,
rear needle extra washer, both long stacks in. :thumbup:

I went back from K&N to standard coz I lost a e clip off the needle groove :crazy:
so if anyone has a spare ?
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

You have a good eye for the finer things, and with "what looks good with what".

That black mudguard goes well with the black headlight "number-board" and it flows well onto the black screen - I like that - a lot. :thumbup:

Also, the white belly pan (to my eyes), doesn't look out of place on the bike as it is. If it was my bike, I'd be tempted to leave it white - it's has a "race look" about it.

Loving the Elsemade seat - something I have longed for, but can't afford it. And those cans? Crikey!, again, want, want, want! Mean looking shape and look well against the black frame.

Watch you don't go overboard! It's knowing when to stop with the cosmetic changes. But, as it is now? - I like it. Loads. And despite it not being red, I'd be delighted to have that in my garage.

If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Thanks GBM, no major changes are planned (funds wont permit this)
Got quite a lot of tidying up to do this winter (putting stuff right from last winters projects)

The seat cover came from Poland ( won on ebay for30 quid , and easy to fit with a good staple gun)

The bellypan will however be going silver :thumbup:
darkember

Post by darkember »

Forget painting or polishing the headers why not wrap them??
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good job Kev 8) I'm amazed how much work you've accomplished in such a narrow workshop, well done mate your bike is looking great :clap:

Chris.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sirch345 wrote:Good job Kev 8) I'm amazed how much work you've accomplished in such a narrow workshop, well done mate your bike is looking great :clap:

Chris.
i agree Chris a tight space indeed. I know a gynaecologist who retired from that task and became a Painter/Decorator. He was unindated with work as he didn't need to go into your house he just did all the work through the letter box. :lol: . Bike looks great doesn't it.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigtwinthing wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Good job Kev 8) I'm amazed how much work you've accomplished in such a narrow workshop, well done mate your bike is looking great :clap:

Chris.
i agree Chris a tight space indeed. I know a gynaecologist who retired from that task and became a Painter/Decorator. He was unindated with work as he didn't need to go into your house he just did all the work through the letter box. :lol: . Bike looks great doesn't it.
:lol: I wish you wouldn't make me laugh like that Paul :wink: I almost spat my drink all over my keyboard :lol:

Chris.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sirch345 wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:

Chris.
:lol: I wish you wouldn't make me laugh like that Paul :wink: I almost spat my drink all over my keyboard :lol:

Chris.

Bloody hell you play the piano too. :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

kev64 wrote:Image

Fitted some new fairing indicators.

Also, latest carb adjustments; Back to standard, then front carb slide hole filled,
rear needle extra washer, both long stacks in. :thumbup:

I went back from K&N to standard coz I lost a e clip off the needle groove :crazy:
so if anyone has a spare ?
Contact dyno jet 01995 600500 they can supply you with one very cheap .
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Thanks for that number Lloydie
will give em a call next week :thumbup:
kev64

Post by kev64 »

So, circlip obtained and fitted to Dyno needle.
Carbs removed, cleaned up a bit.

Circlip fitted to groove 4.
190 mains front and back
45 pilots.
2 lift holes front and rear needle sliders

2 long stacks fitted.
K&N filter.

Short test run and stop for thumb screw (mixture) adjustment.
2 1/2 front, 23/4 rear, (so I might put in the 48s )

Pulled ok up to (and beyond) 3 figures, more testing required though !!