VTR Down Under

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Twitchy

Re: VTR Down Under

Post by Twitchy »

Ok, left the bike at home today - didn't really feel like another day in traffic on a machine that doesn't like being in traffic. So the settings are exactly as they were adjusted to on Monday night. A quick rundown;

Standard new air filter
Standard new little foam filters in airbox
Jardine RT One high mount exhaust
PAIR removed

Front;
DynoJet needle 3rd clip from blunt end +1 shim @ 0.5mm (0.020")
#48 pilot jet
Keihin #180 main jet
Standard diaphragm spring
2 holes in carb slide
Jack Flash thumb screw 2 1/2 turns out

Rear;
Dyno jet needle 3rd clip from blunt end +2 shims @ 0.5mm each - total 1.0mm (0.040")
#48 pilot jet
Keihin #182 main jet
Standard diaphragm spring
2 holes in carb slide
Jack Flash thumb screw 1 7/8 turns out

Carb balance done at approx 1900 rpm
Idle then set to slightly fluctuating 1250rpm
TPS then set to 498 ohms

Front plug;

Rear plug;

The bike runs like a pig in slow and stop start traffic. (yeah, I know, its a v-twin etc etc, but this is not right). Considerable popping out the exhaust when gearing down (not as bad on the weekend so not sure its the gaskets). Still getting the 2000-ish rpm hangup when blipping to 3000-ish rpm, so I think its still lean somewhere. Still get the hunt/surge/cutout at any speed (up to 120km/h), any rpm (up to 6500) and any throttle position.
Last edited by Twitchy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

You are still way to rich. Go back to stock settings and tune from there.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

I think I will pullt the carbs off this weekend and go down to 175/178 mains and 45 pilots. Now that I have a bit more of a handle on the syncing and TPS adjustment.

I keep thinking though that when I bought the bike it had K&N, DJ 180 mains, 45 pilots and 3 hole slides and it ran fine. Because it had only done 130 kms in 2 years, my mate told me to pull the carbs to see what jets were in there and give the whole thing a clean. I should have just left it the f¥#k alone.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

The rear is still way too rich. Are you sure the carb isn't faulty, blocked airway or sticking choke cable/plunger?
My emulsion tubes started to oval in my carbs and I had a hell of a job first getting the jetting right and then keeping it right as the wear slowly progressed over time.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Pete.L wrote:The rear is still way too rich. Are you sure the carb isn't faulty, blocked airway or sticking choke cable/plunger?
As I broke the plastic choke retainer part at the bracket, I have a brand new choke cable on the way. I will check the operation of the new one vs. the old one.
Pete.L wrote:My emulsion tubes started to oval in my carbs and I had a hell of a job first getting the jetting right and then keeping it right as the wear slowly progressed over time.
Do you mean the lower section of the tube where the holes are? I might get the verniers out when I strip the carbs and check that.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Twitchy wrote:Do you mean the lower section of the tube where the holes are? I might get the verniers out when I strip the carbs and check that.
Exactly right. The finish on some of the dyno jet needles is rough enough to grind away on the emulsion tubes. Mine were shot by 30'000 miles and they had only been fit in the bike for about 12000. Hope yours isn't the same. Obviously, I'm more of a fan of shimming the original Honda needles now :wink:
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

Pete.L wrote:The rear is still way too rich. Are you sure the carb isn't faulty, blocked airway or sticking choke cable/plunger?
My emulsion tubes started to oval in my carbs and I had a hell of a job first getting the jetting right and then keeping it right as the wear slowly progressed over time.

Pete.l
Huh. My Storm has run way too rich as long as I've owned it (couple years). It's got a Dynojet kit, K&N filter and free flowing pipes which I thought caused the issue. My plastic choke retainer (the end with the handle you pull) broke so I'll be replacing my choke cable entirely and checking for exactly this! Maybe the old choke cable was never properly adjusted all this time? Aside from that I seem to have the same problem as the OP regarding one of my cylinders being way too rich compared to the other. Weird.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.l
I agree with Pete, that rear plug looks really rich, are you sure you haven't got something else going on here as Pete suggests :?:

Chris.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Hi guys, just thought I would let you know the bike has taken a back seat due to trip preparations for our mega family holiday. We are currently in New South Wales, which is a long way from Perth. We will have done almost 10,000kms by the time we get home!

But I received some parts before I left which included the choke cable. Need to get some new plugs as well.
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

I assume that you'll be making your way to Melbourne soon as well? It's got this week by Spring standards (30+ deg)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

macca__macca wrote:I assume that you'll be making your way to Melbourne soon as well? It's got this week by Spring standards (30+ deg)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah lobbing in to Melbourne on Friday.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Twitchy wrote:Hi guys, just thought I would let you know the bike has taken a back seat due to trip preparations for our mega family holiday. We are currently in New South Wales, which is a long way from Perth. We will have done almost 10,000kms by the time we get home!

But I received some parts before I left which included the choke cable. Need to get some new plugs as well.
I had been wondering how you were getting on with the fueling issues. Good of you to put us in the picture :) enjoy your holiday :thumbup:

Chris.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Back from holidays, and back into VTR mode. Long story short, rich condition may or may not have been affected by crack in rear carb housing where emulsion tube screws in, in fact crack is probably as long as the emulsion tube itself. Mmmm... not happy to find that. Anyways, sourced carbs from wreckers, and they happen to have 'Factory USA' jets. 50 pilots and 180 front 185 rear. The needles are a 5 slot with the clip in the second from top. TPS set at 817 ohm. Fuel screws set at 2 1/8 front and 1 1/2 rear. Big differential there in my opinion.

Stripped, cleaned & reassembled carbs with TPS put to 498 ohm, put on bike and ran it up today. TOTALLY different exhaust note. Sounded maybe crisper at idle, but when blipping the throttle it sounded like a dirt bike rather than big v twin. But massive flat spot. Wound out rear screw half turn to 2 turns out, that brought the idle down, rebalanced it, still horrid flat spot, wound front screw out 1/4 turn to 1 5/8 turns. When VERY slowly building the revs up, it badly hesitates at 2800-3000 rpm, cuts out constantly then rips up to 4000rpm. What the heck causes that??

Shut bike off, put screws back to where they were, and put the TPS back 808 ohm (originally 817). Too late to run it up again, tomorrow I try again.

Question 1; carbs and TPS are allegedly off an 04 model, mines 06. Will there be a difference in the TPS?

Question 2; can I run the bike with the airbox off to check the slides opening (thinking that is the reason for the horrid flat spot).

Question 3; any other suggestions for the flat spot?

Thanks.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Twitchy wrote:Question 2; can I run the bike with the airbox off to check the slides opening (thinking that is the reason for the horrid flat spot).
some guys try it

Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

:Shock1: :Shock: :Shock1: