US/UK VTR Project.

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
VTRDark

Re: US/UK VTR Project.

Post by VTRDark »

No..the reason they fail is because they are too close to the brake light so will need disconnecting. We have had this discussion on the forum before.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Ok, I have some stock signals from a Suzuki Bandit I'll use. There practically the same as stock VTR ones.
If a job is worth doing, its worth doing correctly.
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Got some more work done today…
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Where is the best place to buy a helmate online? I have a useable helmate but its manufactur date is Jan 2008 and its been through two moves from the UK to Florida and back.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

chrisgreer23 wrote:Where is the best place to buy a helmate online? I have a useable helmate but its manufactur date is Jan 2008 and its been through two moves from the UK to Florida and back.

See here...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 18#p377540

:thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

The bike failed the MOT. The flashers were too fast (I didn't install the resistors after fitting the led lights), the headlight had kick up on the right side and at full right lock, the engine would rev.

To be fair, I know about the throttle. Its just an adjustment thats needed. And the flasher could have been changed. But the headlight?!? The headlight came from a uk bike which, by the way PASSED an MOT. The testor said because it was a us bike, the headlight needed to be adjusted. The only US parts on this bike is the frame, the fairing and the rear brake light. Its total bs that the tester was bias becase he thought it was a us spec bike and thus a us headlight. Rant over.

So instead of being the bike home and fix it, I left it with them to fix and re-MOT.

Im pissed.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

My headlight was out of adjustment on the MOT...The tester adjusted it there & then & passed it.

Indis you should have spotted before before taking it in...

The throttle issue could be the cables routed wrong...IIRC the should come out of the black plastic heat shield thing the pass to the left of the fork stanchion, loop round the front of the fork & into the throttle housing...did that wrong once meself...DOH !
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

throttle cables need a bit of slack when straight ahead to avoid revving up [or not snapping closed, which is worse] when you turn right...... its not just bad routing, they will all do that as the cables get bent into a tight radius
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I was thinking he got off lightly. :biggrin

chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

When I took off the push cable, it left alot of slack. When I adjusted the pull cable, I think I made it too tight. I don't like the throttle tube to have any play before it revs the engine. Looks like for MOT purposes I'll have to live with a little slack or reinstall the push cable.

MacV2, my bike doesn't have that black shroud on top of the front cylender. When dissembling my US bike it was such a pain in the ass, I had to brake it onto pieces to remove it. The UK bike I bought didn't have one installed, thank the Lord.

So are you saying the throttle cable should come through the frame on the left side of the steering stem? I thought it came through the frame to the right of the steering stem, between the forks and around the front of the right fork to the trottle tube. They is how it currently is installed.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

No I didn't say that Chris...nowt about steering stem here...

''The throttle issue could be the cables routed wrong...IIRC the should come out of the black plastic heat shield thing the pass to the left of the fork stanchion, loop round the front of the fork & into the throttle housing...did that wrong once meself...DOH !''

When /if the heat shield is in place the throttle cables exit through the gap just to the right of the headstock, then pass around the fork stanchion on the left & loop round the front then up into the throttle body.
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Based on what you have just said, my cable is routed correctly. I believe I just had it adjusted too tight.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

chrisgreer23 wrote: MacV2, my bike doesn't have that black shroud on top of the front cylender. When dissembling my US bike it was such a pain in the ass, I had to brake it onto pieces to remove it. The UK bike I bought didn't have one installed, thank the Lord.
I guess you might call me Satan himself when I tell you that the bike will never run correctly without that plastic bit installed.....
It is there for a reason...... :angel:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
GoSlow

Post by GoSlow »

I might of missed it among all the posts (sorry if that is the case!) but was there a confirmed conclusion on the indicators staying lit for mot purposes? My mates FZR used to be ok and it had them and in the testers manual there is this little snippet hidden... 'Fog lamps and amber lamps The inspection (1.1) does NOT include rear fog lamps or amber lamps located within the indicators'... I think it's far better to have them personally? :confused
The older I get, the faster I was!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If indicators are permanently on then that would be classed as running lights like in the States and would fail. The reason I think they don't allow the built in indicators with the stop and tail light is because of the distance. Indicators have to be separate from the stop and tail to not cause confusion and direction is clearly seen. This I guess is how cars can get away with it with being a wider vehicle.