US/UK VTR Project.

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
GoSlow

Re: US/UK VTR Project.

Post by GoSlow »

I get the lights too close together bit, truck consicuity markings have to be 200mm away from a brake lamps now or they fail test but from my days of mot testing I was told you have to have a reason for rejection to fail, the reason in this case would be this '. a front position lamp shows a light other than WHITE to the front, (or yellow if incorporated in a yellow headlamp) but contrary to this there is the appendix above saying it doesn't apply to an amber lamp... I'd pass it and advise :D
The older I get, the faster I was!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well if it is US spec and you need to turn the light off all you do is unplug one of the bullet connectors going to the signal.
On a US bike there will be 3, a ground, running light and turn signal. :thumbup:

I
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
GoSlow

Post by GoSlow »

I think the answer lies in the detail... does the us spec indicator go from dim (running light) to bright or does operating the indicator stop the running lamp so the indicator flashes on and off :?:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

GoSlow wrote:I think the answer lies in the detail... does the us spec indicator go from dim (running light) to bright or does operating the indicator stop the running lamp so the indicator flashes on and off :?:
US spec runs a dual filament bulb.
Constant running light that switches off when the signal is running.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

To be clear, this is a uk bike I bought from a bloke in Cambridge. The only parts that I have added is a US frame, fairings and tail light. I added front LED lights which go from off to amber to off when switching them on. Granted, they flash a little fast, but they work as the MOT requirements say they should. Im very pissed it didn't pass and they fleeced me for another 60 pounds to adjust the headlight, change the flasher and adjust the throttle.
If a job is worth doing, its worth doing correctly.
GoSlow

Post by GoSlow »

In that case I'd argue with the UK mot tester that he can't fail a U.S system within the guidelines :D
GoSlow

Post by GoSlow »

chrisgreer23 wrote:To be clear, this is a uk bike I bought from a bloke in Cambridge. The only parts that I have added is a US frame, fairings and tail light. I added front LED lights which go from off to amber to off when switching them on. Granted, they flash a little fast, but they work as the MOT requirements say they should. Im very pissed it didn't pass and they fleeced me for another 60 pounds to adjust the headlight, change the flasher and adjust the throttle.
Yeah, sorry I was going a little off topic from the earlier posts :wink: Flash between 60 and 120 times a minute with engine running they should pass in my book... although it costs pence to add resistors to make sure :? Most places will adjust lights and leave it at that... I don't think i'd go there again! I like the small garages where you can talk to the testers :D
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

This test center in Newmarket was recommended to me by co workers. Kinda fustrated but more at myself really. I think I was just anxious to ride.
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Going to pick up the bike this afternoon. Can't wait.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

good luck

i am going to start on the UK/US VTR project this weekend ( i hope). i will post some pictures soon
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

chrisgreer23 wrote:Going to pick up the bike this afternoon. Can't wait.
Hope it's sorted for you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Thanks guys. And good luck to you Stuart. I have the v5 for that frame btw.
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

So the bike is legal. The garage who worked on it did practically nothing and then passed it on the MOT. He didn't adjust the headlight. He tried fitting the flasher relay but it just made the turn signals really dim, so he put the stock relay back on. and he adjusted the throttle and passed the MOT. And this place was recomended?!? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

What a juggler .
Hope they didn't charge you for the work

chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

lloydie wrote:What a juggler .
Hope they didn't charge you for the work

I don't want to comment.

Just so you all know, I'm over it. The bike is legal (once the v-5 is received and I'm able to purchase the number plate). The whole fiasco is in the past. So what's next? I'm not one to leave well enough alone, so I need to make changes. I realize my bike's colour combination makes it unique. Some may say in a bad way, but I'm not fussed. I like different. I like unique. I want to change the shape of the fairing. Specifically adding some RC 51 race fairings with custom mounted headlights. I know this is an ambitious endeavor, but I like a challenge, I can always go back to the stock fairings and I've found a decent price for the fairings; http://ricambiweiss.com/en/honda/285-dr ... 1-sp2.html

Now I'm going to need permission from the boss. So in reality, this may not happen for a while. Also I'll be leaving the country soon and won't be back for some time, so I won't have much time to work on the bike much in the near future anyways.