Race/track day van

Moderator: VTRDark

freeridenick

Race/track day van

Post by freeridenick »

I'm starting to get fed up with the trailer so I'm looking around for a van. Something to take me, the bike and associated paraphernalia, with relative comfort for a middle-aged man to sleep in. Ideally not hugging the bike.

Plenty in the five figure bracket but I don't want to pay that. I'm looking at less than £5k really.
AMCQ46

Re: Race/track day van

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have the solution to all the above requirements ... except the last one :(

but any van that has been insulated will be OK to sleep in and you just need to have a fold up camp bed to sleep on after you take the bike out
AMcQ
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

It is something I have been looking at over the last 6 months, same price bracket also. Issues are that the decent ones all look to have massive milages on for that cost. there is a place in Blackpool that sells second hand wheelchair access vans, they can have proper ramps and lashing points already in. thinking of something along these lines. (yes I have just dumped it in cause im not computer literate..)
https://www.theaccessibleplanet.com/veh ... ic-2009-3/
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I've been looking too. Plenty of high mileage ones for less than 2k but... I know nothing about vans!

Looking also at the alternative economics of hiring.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had a Renault master medium wheelbase high top ex-disability vehicle, it was great. We sold it for a grand with 110k miles, still running, still with an mot.
They're out there.
One tip: you need van insurance, it's not that common so not particularly cheap.
Any powered lift at the back won't have a ramp big enough to take a bike, unlike a converted box van which is likely to have a full-width lift.

You're right, a decent low mileage van will be 10k plus, we paid 15k plus vat for a 2 year old Renault master business with six seats and 4k miles.

Check out auctions where ex Motability vehicles are cleared, consider ex ambulances, post office and police vehicles, as they are always maintained properly and regularly.
Private and ex delivery vehicles, well, you take your chance, there will be one or two good ones, but remember, every vehicle up for sale is for sale for a reason.... ..
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I have a semi high roof mid wheelbase transit, cost more than £5k 3 years ago but it is top spec and has 140hp so no troubles pulling with 2 bikes in. I sleep in the back and use big cushions that have a cover, I use them to wedge between the bikes and side of the van then when the bikes are out i take the covers off and they open out to a mattress. the only insulation I've got is a big duvet, can get a bit cold at first but soon warm up.

Transits are good and plentiful but as the get older they rust underneath so get it checked, also try and avoid any van with a DPF, costly and troublesome, DPF's became compulsory in 2011 I think so find a lowish mile 10 plate and you should get a good van for £5k.

Also if Transit go for front wheel drive as it's lower at the back for loading and as the drive isn't at the back the floor to roof it's 50mm higher inside. mines rear wheel drive, bit of a mistake there for me as it's high loading a bike in.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've looked and found a couple of suitable vans but I've decided they're just not practical for me. I'd have to store it somewhere, which costs, and they're just too much vehicle for so little use. I'm now looking at box trailers. Great for transporting but not so comfortable for sleeping. Looks like I can't get rid of the tent just yet.

Grumpy and Kermit. If you want details of the two I found let me know. One is in the North East and the other near Castle Combe.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:33 am
Grumpy and Kermit. If you want details of the two I found let me know. One is in the North East and the other near Castle Combe.
Yes please.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The one in the North East is my least favourite, higher miles and the DVLA MOT report shows quite a few advisories over the years. The Castle Combe one is under 100k but needs a bit of tidying inside and the water heater is not working. It's a VW LT35.

The Castle Combe one isn't listed anywhere as I found the guy on the Track day riders Facebook page but I can put you in touch with him. I said I had a budget of £5k. He said he was going to list his van a six but sounded like he'd have taken my five to get rid easily.

The other one was under £5k. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3152349848
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Wicky wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:37 pm Image
Fantastic.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:24 pm
Wicky wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:37 pm Image