New VTR 1000 today

Just post charts and set up details.
BigJ1111

New VTR 1000 today

Post by BigJ1111 »

hi guys, i bought a firestorm today and was told it had stage 1 dyno, how do i know if no receipts and also what does stage 1 mean and do?
V-Twin Virgin and loving it!!

97 VTR 1000 Firestorm
97 Bandit 600 Fighter. 92 FZR 1000 RU EXUP
94 RF 600R. 2010 Kindoad Cyclone 125
darkember

Re: New VTR 1000 today

Post by darkember »

Check you first post for general advice :thumbup:
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

It means that the needles and main jets in the carb's have been swapped out, along with the slide springs... Perhaps also slides have been drilled with an extra hole... The result is mixed, some say good, I say doubtful, since you get crap fuel mileage and not that much gains in either power or usability...

Best way to confirm is to have a look in the carb's... :wink:
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Stage 1 is sales talk for making it sound special. It's adjustable needles with a different taper from standard and Main jets that are tapered and are measured by flow rate. They are more than likely size 180.

To determine what your carbs have you have to strip the carbs down as Tweety says. If it's UK dynojet kit there wont be any springs.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25177

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
BigJ1111

Post by BigJ1111 »

Ok, so what's stage 2?
V-Twin Virgin and loving it!!

97 VTR 1000 Firestorm
97 Bandit 600 Fighter. 92 FZR 1000 RU EXUP
94 RF 600R. 2010 Kindoad Cyclone 125
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

BigJ1111 wrote:Ok, so what's stage 2?
thats normally when the solid fuel booster rockets seperate from space shuttle........... :D
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

:lol: :clap:

http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk/revyourbike.htm
agentpineapple wrote:
BigJ1111 wrote:Ok, so what's stage 2?
thats normally when the solid fuel booster rockets seperate from space shuttle........... :D
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

OK as a rough guide but there is no definitive answer. Stage 1 is a mildly tuned engine with jet kit, higher flowing air filter and slip on race cans.

Stage 2 would be even more tuned with a full race exhaust system, aftermarket cams and maybe higher compression pistons, ported heads.

Stage 3 would defiantly be higher compression pistons by now and a more aggressive aftermarket cam profile than stage 2, oversize valves, open airbox or ramair. By this stage it would not be very suitable for the road and very touchy at low down speeds.

Basically each stage is getting closer to a full on race bike and not suitable for the road use. There are lots of other things that can be done like lightened crankshaft, con rods etc etc. Every manufacturer and every person will have different ideas as to what gets done at what stage in the progression. I've seen sites where they add a stage 4 and 5. 4 being the addition of Nitrous or Turbo's, and 5 using race fuel. WTF

When it come to manufactures like Dynojet offering jet kits for different stages it's used more as a sales marketing pitch. There maybe subtle changes like different needle profiles that are designed for the use of no airbox and/or the addition of drilling holes in the carb somewhere. But tuning (jetting) carbs is not always going to be a case of following their instructions to the letter. For example with a standard engine and Dynojet kit the addition of the extra lift hole in the slide is not necessary and may make thing worse. The same for Dynojet springs. And on a side note Dynojet do not supply springs with a UK kit but do with the US kit, They also supply a bigger selection of main jets with the US kit. These kits are both marketed as Stage 1 jet kits. If you ask me it's a con. And with a standard engine and no aftermaket air filter you can achieve the same if not better by shimming the standard needles just to richen up the midrange a bit. This is where it lacks as standard because of emissions control out of the factory and the addition of an open exhaust which leans things off a little more.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I thought stg1 had hi comp pistons /hi lift cams/ port and polished heads / breather work done / full stage 1 exhaust like yours Carl .
Stage 2 more work and parts
Stage 3 warp drive
RayCVTR

Post by RayCVTR »

I was always told that if you put on a free-flow after market exhaust PLUS the free-flow air filter, then at least do a stage 1 carb kit.
The first VTR I had had the after market cans & air filter ... got great mileage ... it was running lean as hell (not so good for motor life); there was hardly a trace of deposits out the end of the can. Mileage: 16 km/litre (standard bike = 14.5 m/litre), so, a 14% increase in mileage. Now I run a stage 1 with after market cans and air-filter ... I get 13.5 km/litre. Oddly enough, I had a set of Micron cans on, and changed them to a set of cheap DanMoto GP cans and fuel economy improved (14km/l) yet the soot in the end of the can suggested it was richer than with the Microns.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Learn to ride it first, then upgrade the Forks to "Rogered" results are great.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:clap: :clap: Your right. Glad you enjoying them Paul. I'm thinking of getting a brace on mine as I'm sure, but not 100% positive, I experienced a bit of flex in them for first time yesterday on a big sweeping high speed bend.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are sucked in by the sales/marketing crap with stage 1 jet kits as if the 1 is suddenly going to turn their bike into the first stage race bike. Aftermarket jet kits have got to be the biggest con/waste of money in the motorcycle aftermarket parts industry. Unless you have a modified engine or changed the airfilter then there is not much point as you may as well just shim the needles.

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cybercarl wrote:

:clap: :clap: Your right. Glad you enjoying them Paul. I'm thinking of getting a brace on mine as I'm sure, but not 100% positive, I experienced a bit of flex in them for first time yesterday on a big sweeping high speed bend.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are sucked in by the sales/marketing crap with stage 1 jet kits as if the 1 is suddenly going to turn their bike into the first stage race bike. Aftermarket jet kits have got to be the biggest con/waste of money in the motorcycle aftermarket parts industry. Unless you have a modified engine or changed the airfilter then there is not much point as you may as well just shim the needles.

I've only ever done engine mods once iam confident iam using all the power OR it makes it run smoother. I had an Ivans jet kit on all my Fazers, not for more speed but for smoother fuelling. Most 1000cc bikes are well powerful enough, making them handle better is by far a better thing to do, Bikes to me is about cornering and leaning( just like skiing) my mate has a TRX 850 with modded forks and an Ohlins shock. On twisty roads you need to be a great rider to keep up with him, i can't. My Storms plenty fast enough for me, and once the WP shock is on along with the forks i think i will have the perfect bike.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

cybercarl wrote:

Is your jetting standard then Carl ??
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Is your jetting standard then Carl ??
As good as with the exception of the factory pro needles and a slide hole blocked in each carb as I run two tall V stacks. I shall be putting the BMC street filter back in for this Summer so will be having a play with things.