INDICATOR FAILURE

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Wombat

INDICATOR FAILURE

Post by Wombat »

I have recently bought a 1999 VTR1000.
I have lost my indicators on the left hand side of the bike. The right hand side seem to work but the left arent working. The bulbs seem ok. Any advice on where to start looking here for the problem ?
MacV2

Re: INDICATOR FAILURE

Post by MacV2 »

Wombat wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 am I have recently bought a 1999 VTR1000.
I have lost my indicators on the left hand side of the bike. The right hand side seem to work but the left arent working. The bulbs seem ok. Any advice on where to start looking here for the problem ?
Strange to have both out out at once...

Are they std indis ?

Try swaping bulbs over from the otherside first.

Check the connections, the relay & the switch...

Failing that it only leaves the wiring feeding that side.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

MacV2 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:55 am
Wombat wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 am I have recently bought a 1999 VTR1000.
Strange to have both out out at once...

Are they std indis ?

Try swaping bulbs over from the otherside first.

Check the connections, the relay & the switch...

Failing that it only leaves the wiring feeding that side.
Thanks Mac...No the ones on the rear are small LED's but standard fairing ones at the front. I could hear the indicator relay working so I figured it must've been the switch so I opened it up and found they were working again. Mustve been a bad earth ? Im assuming they earth through contact with the handlebar itself ? This bike has been in storage for near 8 years... Is there anything you recommend I replace and check before riding it hard ? I plan to drop out all the fluids and oil and check my tyre pressures, and dump the old fuel. I did take it out today for a gentle ride up into the hills and it performed outstandingly. Very smooth in the box, crisp clean acceleration. I was a bit toey at first after jumping off a smaller SV650 but nothing could wipe the smile from my face. These are AWESOME bikes. :D

Thanks Mate.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wombat wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 am
Thanks Mac...No the ones on the rear are small LED's but standard fairing ones at the front. I could hear the indicator relay working so I figured it must've been the switch so I opened it up and found they were working again. Mustve been a bad earth ? Im assuming they earth through contact with the handlebar itself ? This bike has been in storage for near 8 years... Is there anything you recommend I replace and check before riding it hard ? I plan to drop out all the fluids and oil and check my tyre pressures, and dump the old fuel. I did take it out today for a gentle ride up into the hills and it performed outstandingly. Very smooth in the box, crisp clean acceleration. I was a bit toey at first after jumping off a smaller SV650 but nothing could wipe the smile from my face. These are AWESOME bikes. :D

Thanks Mate.
Yeah paint it RED Hahahaha

Read these pages... viewtopic.php?p=304638#p304638

Prob the most overlooked Item on the list is servicing the shock linkage, you wont have the corosion issues we have here in Blighty but heat from the rear downpipe dries the grease out...

Also worth checking the front forks out at the very least change th 20year old fork oil... viewtopic.php?p=280379#p280379
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

MacV2 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:56 am
Wombat wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 am

Thanks Mate.
Yeah paint it RED Hahahaha

Read these pages... viewtopic.php?p=304638#p304638

Prob the most overlooked Item on the list is servicing the shock linkage, you wont have the corosion issues we have here in Blighty but heat from the rear downpipe dries the grease out...

Also worth checking the front forks out at the very least change th 20year old fork oil... viewtopic.php?p=280379#p280379

Hahahah...Not a chance. I love the yellow.
Thanks for the advice. Will do.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wombat wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 am This bike has been in storage for near 8 years... Is there anything you recommend I replace and check before riding it hard ? I plan to drop out all the fluids and oil and check my tyre pressures, and dump the old fuel. I did take it out today for a gentle ride up into the hills and it performed outstandingly. Very smooth in the box, crisp clean acceleration. I was a bit toey at first after jumping off a smaller SV650 but nothing could wipe the smile from my face. These are AWESOME bikes. :D

Thanks Mate.
If the tyres are 8yrs old they have most likely seen better days so worth replacing for safety and piece of mind,

Chris.