Tight cam chain

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
mick007

Tight cam chain

Post by mick007 »

Cam chain (rear) seems very tight with the standard tensioner.I followed all procedures and fitted the Mcct.it nearly wound all the way in with maybe 5mm of thread left.doesnt seem right to me .Any ideas
Wicky

Re: Tight cam chain

Post by Wicky »

Timing should be set correctly in turn for each MCCT - They should be finger tight and then backed out ¼– 1/8 of turn.

If it squeals it's too tight - and if it rattles excessively when warmed up it's too loose.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Different makes have different amount of thread showing.
One type has different lengths front and rear. The short one is meant to go in the front, as you can reach the adjuster easier.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

tony.mon wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:48 pm Different makes have different amount of thread showing.
One type has different lengths front and rear. The short one is meant to go in the front, as you can reach the adjuster easier.
Surely the long one goes on the front as the water hose makes it difficult to adjust with a short one

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

popkat wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:48 pm
tony.mon wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:48 pm Different makes have different amount of thread showing.
Surely the long one goes on the front as the water hose makes it difficult to adjust with a short one
Er, probably, yes. It's a while since I played with a storm now!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.