VTR Running Hot???

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Essix Blue

VTR Running Hot???

Post by Essix Blue »

Afternoon all - new lad to the forum, bought my first VTR1000 last week (53 plate) and love it so far.

However....

After a run out today I have a concern. Stuck in traffic towards the end of my run out the bike temp got up to 115. Now looking at various website chat that seems dangerously high. Normal running temp seems fine at around 90 ish even when ridden hard. It's my first liquid cooled bike for a long time, had a bandit before this.

Advice please...
eezee29

Re: VTR Running Hot???

Post by eezee29 »

did the right radiator fan start up? If it does, did the temperature change?

I would flushed out the whole coolant system to ensure there is no lime deposits or such and maybe clean the thermostat sensor as well in case it got coated and not sensing well.

while checking ..have a look at the quality of the current cooant for traces of oil sheens and also check the engine oil for any traces of water and finally ascertain the level of coolant is correct and sufficient.
trying very hard to get over the 50 posts hurdle :lol:
Essix Blue

Post by Essix Blue »

Thanks for the reply.

As for the fan - stupid question - how would I know it had kicked in if I'm riding it??
eezee29

Post by eezee29 »

just over half the temp gauge, mine would kick in and don't go feeling the fan impeller unless u ready to lose a finger...instead you can feel the fan blowing out the right side radiator through the right fairing cut-out

If your fan not kicking at all...the thermostat could be fouling up
trying very hard to get over the 50 posts hurdle :lol:
Essix Blue

Post by Essix Blue »

Ok cheers.

I bought it from a dealer who seems a decent type and I've got 3 months warranty so I'm not panicking.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

They all run hot in traffic. As long as the fan cuts in it's not a problem. I have 97 storm and the fan cuts in just over the half way mark.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Mine was running over 100* in traffic on Monday on the way back from Devon.

To check the fan let it sit running on a Padock stand...Not the side stand !

The fan should kick in but itwill be well over 100*.

You can look down at the fan though the gap in the fairing.

You'll see it kick in & you'll hear it kick in, without a helmet on.

Keep an eye on the temp but it will go over a 100*

53 plate so you should have the digi temp readout.

You can check the fan works before you do this if your really worried.

Firstly just make sure the fan spins freely, just stick a finger in & give it a flick.

Secondly put a live feed straight to it from a battery & it should kick in...

All good them run up to temp to see if it kicks in.

A flush & change of coolant wont be a negative thing to do, it's probably as old as the bike but doing that ain't gonna do didlysquat if the fans not working...so check the fan first.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Essix Blue

Post by Essix Blue »

Emailed the garage I bought it from.

He's gonna come and collect it this week and get it in the workshop for a look
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Best to be safe,

These bikes do run very hot when there is little air flow over the radiators.

I have experienced temps in the 48 C range and the bike was running at 105 C before the fan kicked in.

I have found from experience that they don't like traffic much and now turn my bike off on seriously hot days if stuck in traffic as it gets bloody hot.

I don't have a thermostat as I run an electric pump so my bikes behaviour now is different to the norm but even when I had a thermostat it always ran hot when stuck in traffic or on hot days.

Don't worry too much, ride and enjoy your new bike.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

kenmoore wrote:I don't have a thermostat as I run an electric pump so my bikes behaviour now is different to the norm but even when I had a thermostat it always ran hot when stuck in traffic or on hot days.

Don't worry too much, ride and enjoy your new bike.
I'm presuming the electric pump works off the temperature sensor. What are the advantages of an electric pump and no thermostat?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

You can put a kit on the pump to run off the sensor but mine runs constant.

I did it as part of an attempt to remove reciprocal mass to get the motor to spin up quicker.

I have an on off switch fitted to enable me to turn it off if necessary.

Been like this for about 4 years now.

Temp remains fairly constant at 71 C except in heavy traffic. :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

To get max power something like 85-95 is best, I thought?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote:To get max power something like 85-95 is best, I thought?
When I was racing 2 strokes, many years ago now, we used to remove the thermostat. Mainly because it was a point of failure. The bikes were warmed up carefully and the radiator "tuned" with duct tape, blanking off a certain amount to give the correct amount of cooling which depended on the ambient temperature. In practice we would aim for that sort of temperature, about 90 degrees. I don't think I would do it now as thermostats are probably a lot more reliable.

We also did the most obvious things like only having the exact amount of premix needed in the tank for each race. One of the well known tuners in Western Australia at the time, Jim McPhee used to remove as many oil seals as he could and replace them with labyrinth seals which caused less drag. Mind you, he was tuning Bantams and they needed all the help they could get.

Removing the water pump rotor would certainly remove a little bit of rotational inertia as well as a bit of internal drag but it must be very small.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)