Cool n Comfy flat bar conversion.

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
spanner boy

Cool n Comfy flat bar conversion.

Post by spanner boy »

I am currently contemplating a bar conversion for my storm. I have raisers fitted at the moment, but after a trip with a mate last year who has a street fighter, I was very jealous of his comfortable riding position.
Looking around I really like the look of the CNC kit and wonder if anyone had experience fitting it and maybe some advice. Questions at the moment are:
- whether to bother
- Black or natural alluminum
- Ignition in the standard place or move
- which bars - I don't think drag bars offer enough, but want to keep the standard resevours.

Any help or advice welcome.
tony.mon

Re: Cool n Comfy flat bar conversion.

Post by tony.mon »

It's up to you re colour, as it depends on your own taste- you're the one having to look at it. Is it matching black levers, or anyhting else?

Jealousy isn't a good reason to change anything! Otherwise we'd all end up on the latest go-faster bit of kit, and life would be boring. Make it yours.
Is your current setup uncomfortable?
If not, leave it alone.

Ignition- if you're after the "racer" look, with both reservoirs centrally mounted inboard, then moving the ignition might make sense.
But avoid putting it in a panel where the key can get bent by your bot when getting on, or when maneuvering the bike, as a snapped off key is a pain to sort at the roadside.
And somewhere where rain isn't blasted into it when riding is a plus. That's how it ended up where it is when Honda designed the bike.

One of the nicest things about VTR's is the slimness. If you fit wide bars (esp. with bar-end mirrors) you lose any advantage when filtering.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Are you getting these second hand or from CnC?
If from CnC then allow AT LEAST 8 weeks from ordering to actually getting them.
Once you have them it is a great piece of kit.

Keep the ignition where it is, unless you like rewiring in your spare time. (you will need to extend the horn wires by 2", do it by 4" as they do pinch)
Bars, it depends on the length of your arms and how much you want to sit up.
A few have low risers, I had High risers (renthals) but I do not know anyone with pure flat bars. There is only an 1" or so difference between then anyway but does make a difference on the amount of fairing that you need to trim off.
I had a black one to go with black bike and no scratches on it after 2 years of abuse. ( black bars also)
Its your choice, but no red bars, as these turn pink.....
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Thanks guys. Jealousy came from the comfort of the ride on the street fighter. I've considered a change of bike but like the character of the storm.
It's a good point on the narrowness of the storm so that's something to consider. I'm leaning towards the black yoke with ignition still in place. The racer look doesn't interest me, only that the result looks to a high standard in this respect the trimming of the fairing is the biggest concern.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I did the conversion 2 yrs ago and think it is one of the best changes I have made to my bike. I use the ultra low bend renthals and that only needs a very small trim off the fairings and is a good combination between sporty and comfortable.

There are pictures in some of the threads in workshop and pimp my ride... I will have a look later and put a link to them.

Oh, I didn't use cnc yoke, I made my own, but the key has to be to not make the bar mounts too high above the yoke top surface or you will end up with too much fairing clash, and the centreline of the new mounts should be above the stem bolt so the bars sit behind the forks.
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMcQ
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Ok bit the bullet and ordered a full set in natural alluminum with brake and clutch lines and an ignition extender. I've gone for grey ultra low renthal bars. I will take some before and after pictures before I start. For now I need to see how CNC'S delivery is. I should get the kit for the weekend.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

best of luck with the delivery.
In my experience, wait till the parts arrive, enjoy still riding the bike before you start stripping things in preparation.
Why do you need the ignition extender?
Also try everything up with the original cables first, unless you want to change things just cause your their, I don't know anyone who has had to do this.

Then enjoy. the Storm is bloody marvelous with this mod.... :D
Don't hassle me
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Ok so kit turned up today, nearly 3 weeks delivery time. What I will say however is that Matt responded to all text enquiries and phone calls promptly. The kit seems top quality so I now have hopefully the weekend for garage time and fiddling. I will upload some pictures once I've worked out how to.
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

For those who have had the cool n comfy full kit, what are the two grub screws for?
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

spanner boy wrote:For those who have had the cool n comfy full kit, what are the two grub screws for?

Cant remember but its Great gear.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

I have no idea.
Never used them either .
Did think at some point they could be used for lock stops but I improvised with a screw on the stem.

Don't rush it.
I set it up without the throttle on first to get the angle I wanted, then took the bars off to drill for the retaining hole for the grip. I couldn't get the grip on and off all wired up with bars in the clamp. Also drill it in a few mm more so the grip and the weight don't snag.
Don't hassle me
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

spanner boy wrote:For those who have had the cool n comfy full kit, what are the two grub screws for?
Screwing Grubs ?

No ?

I'll get me cacoon...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Here's where I started from
Here's where I started from
20170505_182543.jpg (4.01 MiB) Viewed 3952 times
Work on the way
Work on the way
20170507_145511.jpg (4.52 MiB) Viewed 3952 times
Here's how I finished up.
20170507_173825.jpg (4.09 MiB) Viewed 3952 times
20170507_173825.jpg (4.09 MiB) Viewed 3952 times
20170507_173846.jpg
20170507_173846.jpg (4.25 MiB) Viewed 3952 times
Not been for the first ride yet but so far I'm really happy with the job. The grub screws were for attaching the ignition barrel so the steering lock still lines up. Only issue was that I cracked the plastic around the ignition barrel trying to get the shear bolts out so I will keep my eye out for a good 2nd hand one.
Attachments
20170507_173831.jpg
20170507_173831.jpg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 3952 times