Newbie mcct question

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Drubert155

Newbie mcct question

Post by Drubert155 »

Hi all I'm a newbie here and have had my vtr for only a month...

This may sound like a completely drippy to ask but if I'm not actually touching the engine as in turning it over. Could I not remove the old cct and fit new mcct's as per instructions.. I. E finger tight then back 1/4 turn. Without having to stip the tank, airbox, rocker covers etc. As surely the timing should be exactly the same as before the auto cct were removed??

Thanks.
MacV2

Re: Newbie mcct question

Post by MacV2 »

You have to have the rear piston at TDC...You can use the letters stamped on the rota visable through the inspection cap on the side of the crankcase...R/T is what your looking for...But if its the wrong one then the risk is that when you remove the CCT the tension is still on, chain pings & jumps a tooth thus putting the timing out...

So the idea is you find the R/T mark & then visualy see that the cams are in the correct possition...You can only tell by looking at them for which you will need the tank off, to remove the air box to get at the cam cover to remove that so you can see the cams...

Also it help to have the spark plugs out to make it easier to turn the engine over by hand...The rear one is tank off anyway so while your doing that...

Good luck if you try to short cut it...

Rear & re-read the instructions in the workshop knowlage base...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Drubert155

Post by Drubert155 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't trying to shortcut it. I just didn't think the chain would jump unless the engine was turned over.

You learn something new everyday!!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I should think that many have tried that but i couldn't guess the success rate.Is it worth taking the chance? I wouldn't myself anyway.But welcome to the forum.The fellas on this site REALLY do know what they are talking about.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Drubert155

Post by Drubert155 »

Thanks I'm looking forward to finding out all the little tricks you can do to these bikes.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

alanfjones1411 wrote:I should think that many have tried that but i couldn't guess the success rate.Is it worth taking the chance? I wouldn't myself anyway.But welcome to the forum.The fellas on this site REALLY do know what they are talking about.
You sure about that comment Alan...? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Not only does the piston for the cylinder you're working on need to be at TDC before removing the CCT, the piston has to be on the compression stroke.
If any of the valves are open when you remove a CCT, the cam chain will jump the cam sprocket teeth regardless to whether the engine is being turned over or not, resulting in the valve timing will need to be reset.

As Mac points out, the sure way to know if you're on the right stroke is to remove the cam cover,

Chris.