I l ran my fuel tank dry

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
lgraham

I l ran my fuel tank dry

Post by lgraham »

Last night coming home with the low fuel light getting brighter i very nearly made it to the garage before the bike cut out.I pushed it to the pump,and filled up with 97 octane,restarted and rode on,but after a mile and a half got power loss,and the engine stopped again.I thought i might have to push the bike home the last mile, but after a minute or two gave it another go on the starter button and she started,but was down on power.I got almost to my door and the engine cut out again.Has anyone experienced this? I imagine some residue from the bottom of the tank has been sucked into the carbs and blocked them,but is there a filter between the tank and the carbs that I could check first? Any advice appreciated.Les Graham.
Wicky

Re: I l ran my fuel tank dry

Post by Wicky »

Odd - Theres a filter inside the tank where the fuel tap connects to the tank.

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/moto-ho ... 11510.html
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18025

Was the "97 octane" super unleaded? Run it through and fill up with normal unleaded. And charge the battery up as the multiple restarts could have drained the battery.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

yes
once after filling road a mile or so and the bike spluttered to a stop. opened the petrol cap and there was a whoosh of air ... some how it had become vacuum locked . Sorted itself out then
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Sorry I am not any help to you, but how much did the bike actually take to fill up?
I only ask as I dont really believe the 16 litre figure.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Furrybiker wrote:Sorry I am not any help to you, but how much did the bike actually take to fill up?
I ran mine dry (coasting into a petrol station) and filled up (to the brim) sitting on the bike. Got 16.5 litres in it.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

ps. It's a vacuum operated fuel tap. If the float bowls are empty it can take a bit of turning over to get enough fuel into the bowls to start up.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

Blocked tank breather.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

StuartWags wrote:yes
once after filling road a mile or so and the bike spluttered to a stop. opened the petrol cap and there was a whoosh of air ... some how it had become vacuum locked . Sorted itself out then
Same happend to me once...If it happens you get a vacume lock & it wont pull the fule through ...Sounds simple but just pop the cap open. Turn it over a few time to refill the carbs...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
Furrybiker wrote:Sorry I am not any help to you, but how much did the bike actually take to fill up?
I ran mine dry (coasting into a petrol station) and filled up (to the brim) sitting on the bike. Got 16.5 litres in it.
Thanks, good to know that when the "red light of pushing" comes on I still have about a gallon!
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Furrybiker wrote:
KermitLeFrog wrote:
Thanks, good to know that when the "red light of pushing" comes on I still have about a gallon!
No, you don't. You have about 3 litres. Enough for a safeish 20 miles. I ran dry at 24 miles from the red light.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
No, you don't. You have about 3 litres. Enough for a safeish 20 miles. I ran dry at 24 miles from the red light.
They must vary as I managed 20 miles with the light shining on the motorway before I got to a fuel station, it held same as it always does when I fill it asap when the light comes on, about 13 litres.
lgraham

Post by lgraham »

Thanks fellas,I shall in future head for the nearest petrol pump once the light comes on- I probably was pushing my luck trying to go more than 20 miles.The funny (lucky?) thing is that I have done nothing to the bike since last wednesday, and I gave it a run today and it is running ok again.So perhaps it wasn't sediment causing the problem, but vacuum or lack of it.A mystery to me, I'm just glad to have my VTR back. Cheers.