Mystery widget!

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
popularh14

Mystery widget!

Post by popularh14 »

Took off my tail-light unit the other day and heard a mysterious rattling from within! Managed to get the mystery object out and it looked like this:

http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/popul ... g.html?o=1

I had previously noticed when I was washing the bike that the tail-light unit did seem to move up and down a bit. Should there be a lug in the hole above the three wires in the pic below?

http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/popul ... g.html?o=1

Cheers

Pete
Shauned71

Re: Mystery widget!

Post by Shauned71 »

You have posted the same link twice... is this your mystery object...

If it is.. i'll have a stab at it for you. Looking at your other link that shows the back of the rear light it shows an extra hole with a wire going to it located between the 2 main bulb holders. Any chance there is a LED attached to the end of the said wire... if there is i'd guess the round bit of plastic is the LED holder. Possibly is or has been a alarm/immobiliser fitted to your bike.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

This looks like what the O/P meant to link too.

You could be onto something Shauned71, if there was an LED in that hole for an alarm, this bung could have been used to fill the hole :?:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh by george I think you got it right (said in my most posh voice) :lol: wombles it back to normal. Yep looks like an old LED alarm bulb holder to me too, especially the way the top plastic tapers up towards the centre where the bulb would go. Stick a bulb in there and attach a hidden switch to it and switch it on and everyone will think it has an alarm.
==============================Enter the Darkside
popularh14

Post by popularh14 »

Yep that's the little fellah! Having probs with Photobucket hence the link issues!!

The extra wire does indeed have an LED on the end of it so I think you are spot on with your ID! I do have a Datatool alarm/immobiliser fitted.

The terminals on the LED look a bit corroded and it only works intermittently - are new LED's easy to get hold of?

Cheers

Pete
Shauned71 wrote:You have posted the same link twice... is this your mystery object...

If it is.. i'll have a stab at it for you. Looking at your other link that shows the back of the rear light it shows an extra hole with a wire going to it located between the 2 main bulb holders. Any chance there is a LED attached to the end of the said wire... if there is i'd guess the round bit of plastic is the LED holder. Possibly is or has been a alarm/immobiliser fitted to your bike.
popularh14

Post by popularh14 »

Hi Chris

No that was my previous mystery object which turned out to be the bung from the fairing mounting near the mirrors!
sirch345 wrote:This looks like what the O/P meant to link too.

You could be onto something Mac, if there was an LED in that hole for an alarm, this bung could have been used to fill the hole :?:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The terminals on the LED look a bit corroded and it only works intermittently - are new LED's easy to get hold of?
Very easy. Take your pick from eBay all various shapes and sizes and colours. Or pop down halfords and they should have one amongst their packets of nuts, bolts, grommets, etc. Any LED will do as it's only two wires and does not matter which way around they go. Or just cut the terminals off and crimp on some new ones. Better still, why not simply give the terminals a clean and save buying anything. A little rub down with some abrasive of some sort will do the trick. or is it intermittent because of a break inside the wire. Err hold on I just had a thought. When you say intermittent, you don't mean flashing do you :flasher: You may want to check the alarm LED indicator functions.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popularh14 wrote:Hi Chris

No that was my previous mystery object which turned out to be the bung from the fairing mounting near the mirrors!
Ah, never mind, I thought it might have been worth a shot.

Good man Shauned71 for sussing it out :clap:

Chris.

PS. I'm losing the plot here :problem: I didn't even get the members name right :crazy: I've fixed it now :)
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

As said ebay, halfords etc often small local car stores do LEDs with wires already attached, usually lurking amongst the nuts/bolts, clips accessories etc An option may be to just leave the LED off.. obviously it's down to your preference but a lot of alarms with LEDs have that option.. my datatool alarm doesn't have the led hooked up.
cybercarl wrote:
Any LED will do as it's only two wires and does not matter which way around they go.
Not quite right^ Maybe I just haven't noticed over the years but I don't recall coming across reversible LEDs.. they certainly can't all be reversed so if you do wire up another LED and find it doesn't work... try switching the wires around :wink: