Bike not running correctly after CCT rebuild

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
No1sun

Bike not running correctly after CCT rebuild

Post by No1sun »

My first post, I think.
Rebuilt the storm with manual CCTs after the dreaded CCT failure and bent valves. The timing marks didn't look spot on but reading the forum suggested that this could be due to chain stretch and were probably never spot on anyway. I also fitted a replacement rectifier, air and oil filter. This took me a few months as I also had to buy replacement cams as the removed ones got pitting on the lobs sitting in my garage.
Since rebuild she doesn't go to top speed as before and seems to kinda splutter a bit. At 3000 revs there seems to be a miss here or there and the whole balance of the bike feels a bit more vibration.
Put on a new chain and sprockets and changed the oil and filter as the last Hiflo filter ruptured, seems like the thickness of the metal and paint coating weren't man enough for the Scottish summers lol. The bike was running cold so got a replacement thermostat as the last one was siezed and was hoping that was the problem but the bike still runs like a bag of spanners compared to what she was pre CCT failure. R1 went past me like I was standing still. :cry:
Bike starts fine and runs and ticks over pretty well. She runs fine around the town and at mostly normal speeds but open her up and it's just not there.
Can it be the carbs? It was lying for a few months in bits but most winters the bike can sit for a month or two and no problems.
Timing? I followed the timing guides on here and apart from the marks not lining up exactly, two or three mm.
Was planning to strip the carbs but a little guidance might would be great.
Cheers
Dave
Wicky

Re: Bike not running correctly after CCT rebuild

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

Could it be 180 degrees out?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
No1sun

Post by No1sun »

Thanks for the reply. I checked the lobe orientation and although it was nearly two years ago I thought I did it right but it is something I can check. I see on another post that it is easy to get wrong. I will check the manual but is there a guide on checking it?
Cheers
Dave
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

No1sun wrote:Thanks for the reply. I checked the lobe orientation and although it was nearly two years ago I thought I did it right but it is something I can check. I see on another post that it is easy to get wrong. I will check the manual but is there a guide on checking it?
Cheers
Dave

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ut#p259219
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
No1sun

Post by No1sun »

Thanks Wicky much appreciated. I will check.
Cheers
Dave
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

After you've checked that you should look at the carb mounting rubbers; also the vacuum lines.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Where about are you based mate?
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
No1sun

Post by No1sun »

Will check the rubbers and the vacuum line as well, thanks Tony. Was hoping to get out on her in between the normal Scottish wet summer, lol, but will just have to dedicate some more time in the garage. She revs all the way to the red line too on the stand but just doesn't pull at the top end.
Hi Jazz I am in Kirkcaldy.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I will check the manual but is there a guide on checking it?
Which Manuel is that you have been following. Please tell me it's not a Haynes. Haynes have got the timing setup wrong so if you followed this then there lays your problem. I take it you have fitted some manual CCT's now too after such a disaster.

Please see the following guide for timing and note the number of turns on the crank going from rear to front.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28583

Welcome :beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Fatdarron

Post by Fatdarron »

this might of already been mentioned and or you may have already done this but its definitely worth checking the shims

i have recently done mine and the cam marks didn't line up perfect but they were less than a tooth out and she runs fine
No1sun

Post by No1sun »

Unfortunately it was the Haynes manual. :cry:
I will follow the guide posted and see if I can get this sorted.
Yes I did fit the manual CCTs and they seem to be fine. I am going to have to balance this weeks holiday between painting the kitchen, fixing the bike and keeping the wife happy, well two up of three might be possible. Lol
Dave
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The Haynes manual is misleading so best to double check your timing first to rule it out. You may as well check the valve clearances while your in there, especially as you have installed different cams. Did you get the cam caps with the cams or did you use the same ones that the previous ones used as they do wear in together. Be real careful with the cam cap bolts and don't overtighten as they can snap. Once this is all done and your back up and running then you can move onto any fuelling issues if you have any.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

No1sun wrote: Hi Jazz I am in Kirkcaldy.
Me too mate!
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
No1sun

Post by No1sun »

So got up at 5 oclock this morning and set about stripping the storm back down to check the timing. As bullseye says 180!!! Degrees out. Repositioned the camshafts and rebuilt her. After a bit of test piloting it is like driving a completey different bike. Apart from the extra oomph, she sounds more even and less lumpy and no vibration.
Thanks guys for all your help. The forum guides are brilliant and really helpful, keep up the good work.
I still have a few days before going back to work so lets see what the scottish summer has got to offer.
Cheers all
Dave
:D
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Good news Dave.

Maybe catch you around sometime mate.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good