Front fork dive

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
popularh14

Front fork dive

Post by popularh14 »

Apologies if this has been covered before on numerous occasions but a) I need to get my posts up & b) I'm too lazy to trawl through all the search stuff!!

As seems to be normal with Storms the front seems to dive a lot under heavy braking and a cable tie around the fork leg shows just how much! As well as being a bit off-putting whilst riding I'm also concerned because I have some small pitting near the top of the fork legs which I haven't been able to polish out and don't want my seals damaged.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the pits - have tried fine wire wool with good old Solvol Autosol.

If I up the preload a tad (or even a lot!!) will that reduce the dive?
popkat

Re: Front fork dive

Post by popkat »

fine wet and dry, you just want to take the high spots off the pitting so it's smooth, once done then wire wool followed by t cut should take the light marks out. The pitting will still be there, don't try to get rid of it, but with the high spots gone they won't damage the seals, go careful with it.

You can add preload, probably all it's got and you still won't have enough if your forks are standard, best solution new springs the correct rate and fresh oil, you'll find plenty of threads by searching. I could give you the full answer but lets split it 50/50 it'll help your post count and you'll work out the search function :lol:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s