Panniers

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
popularh14

Panniers

Post by popularh14 »

Not sure Workshop is exactly the place for this but never mind!

Thinking about doing some touring on the Storm and bungeeing a holdall on the back like I'm doing at the mo is getting a bit of a PITA!

Anyone got experience of hard or soft panniers for their Storm or even got any lurking in their shed that they don't need any more?

Found these on Amazon:

Seem to recall Givi are a decent make.

Cheers

Pete
Wicky

Re: Panniers

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stevo Kifaru

Post by Stevo Kifaru »

I have a pair of these, the speed clip stays on the bike for easy removal, and they just clear my hi-level MiGs with the right adjustment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frank-Thomas- ... SwZSFXJnko
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR-1000- ... nav=SEARCH

The seller has been trying to sell these for months.

I could never imagine spending that kinda money on panniers for a storm. However, they are available.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
popularh14

Post by popularh14 »

Cheers for the feedback guys!! :thumbup:
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

I bought some simple Oxford panniers last year and have only used them once going to the bike show at NEC is TORRENTIAL rain and HIGH winds.
They performed really well, the over-proofs kept all water out and they held a decent amount of stuff.
Build quality is very good and there's 3 large velcro straps holding the two panniers together (1 strap going under the seat to cannot be undone with removing the seat, so good security).

But knowing we've the May Storm meet coming up I've been thinking about some extra waterproof storage for my tent (Kyam 3 man igloo), blow-up mat (chunky Alpkit Dozer) and pillow + misc.
So after much research I've opted for the cheap £40 Held bag, 100 litres. Oh yeah, it's a beast.

I've seen and really liked the Oxford T50 bag, which is like the Held bag but with the nice velcro under-seat strap...but for twice the price.
Since I don't expect to use the bag much £40 will do me, and the Held is very well made, just requiring more strapping down maybe.

On the bike weight feels perfectly distributed/balanced, it'll give a nice back rest if/when upright, so we'll see!

(note I opted for 3 bins :wtf: )
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I was thinking much the same, but the sp2 pillion pad isn't large enough to strap a big bag to.
I'm going to make something, along the lines of Pete's plank pillion perch parking piece but not so woody....
I still want to use the pillion seat as well, so it needs a but if thought.
I've ordered some bits and pieces, including some body piercing jewellery, all will be revealed in due course...... :wink:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popularh14

Post by popularh14 »

SmileyVTR wrote:I bought some simple Oxford panniers last year and have only used them once going to the bike show at NEC is TORRENTIAL rain and HIGH winds.
They performed really well, the over-proofs kept all water out and they held a decent amount of stuff.
Build quality is very good and there's 3 large velcro straps holding the two panniers together (1 strap going under the seat to cannot be undone with removing the seat, so good security).

But knowing we've the May Storm meet coming up I've been thinking about some extra waterproof storage for my tent (Kyam 3 man igloo), blow-up mat (chunky Alpkit Dozer) and pillow + misc.
So after much research I've opted for the cheap £40 Held bag, 100 litres. Oh yeah, it's a beast.

I've seen and really liked the Oxford T50 bag, which is like the Held bag but with the nice velcro under-seat strap...but for twice the price.
Since I don't expect to use the bag much £40 will do me, and the Held is very well made, just requiring more strapping down maybe.

Bloody hell that thing is huge!!! You obviously like to travel with comfort in mind young man! Pillow? Really??

On the bike weight feels perfectly distributed/balanced, it'll give a nice back rest if/when upright, so we'll see!

popularh14

Post by popularh14 »

popularh14 wrote:
SmileyVTR wrote:I bought some simple Oxford panniers last year and have only used them once going to the bike show at NEC is TORRENTIAL rain and HIGH winds.

Let's try that again and see if it comes outside the quote!
Bloody hell that thing is huge!!! You obviously like to travel with comfort in mind young man! Pillow? Really??

SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

So I used the above set-up going down to Essex/London this weekend, used a racket-tie-down on the large bag.

Worked perfectly. Balance was perfect allowing single-up lean angles and no noticeable wind resistance so comfortable 80 mph on the small section of M11.

I'm one happy bunny!

re fluffy pillow - it was either the teddy bear or the pillow (and the pillow was smaller so would fit better!)