suck or blow question

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
chaz

suck or blow question

Post by chaz »

:lol:
working out why the 2002 storm wont start, fuel and sparks ok.
checked clearances in March, and did cct around June.

now wont start, turning motor over the vacuum pipe that opens fuel tap seems to blow air more than suck in. also seems to blow up through intakes into air box.
would I be right thinking valves clearances have closed up OR has timing slipped?? say a tooth on a cam.

covers are off but front is a pain to get to especially when cramped legs keep seizing up and neck stiff after my accident. any tips for checking clearances , I did them before but was on a ramp so easier. now grovelling on the floor.. :wtf:
lloydie

Re: suck or blow question

Post by lloydie »

Have you fitted the battery on the right way ?

Sorry
Couldn't help it
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

When was it last run, I would do the basics first, plugs out and clean or renew make sure battery is fully charged and spin it over
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

chaz wrote::lol:
working out why the 2002 storm wont start, fuel and sparks ok.
checked clearances in March, and did cct around June.

now wont start, turning motor over the vacuum pipe that opens fuel tap seems to blow air more than suck in. also seems to blow up through intakes into air box.
would I be right thinking valves clearances have closed up OR has timing slipped?? say a tooth on a cam.

covers are off but front is a pain to get to especially when cramped legs keep seizing up and neck stiff after my accident. any tips for checking clearances , I did them before but was on a ramp so easier. now grovelling on the floor.. :wtf:
I don't like to say it, but it sounds like you have bent some inlet valves, unless you cocked the valve clearances up and they're not closing completely. Is it spinning over easier than usual when you're trying to start it :?:

If it were me I'd be checking the valve clearances and valve timing again, you certainly should not be getting air blowing out of the fuel tap vacuum pipe, or back up through the air intakes into the airbox.

If the valve timing had jumped one tooth it would still run, although not quite as good. May be it's jumped more than one tooth :?: hopefully for your sake it hasn't.

Don't follow the Haynes manual for setting the valve timing as it's misleading, use our methods,

Chris.
chaz

Post by chaz »

thanks Chris, a sensible answer. the lad rode to our house then wouldn't start when he was off home.
Im off to France for the week so will look at next weekend.
meantime will check the forum how to's
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

chaz wrote:thanks Chris, a sensible answer. the lad rode to our house then wouldn't start when he was off home.
Im off to France for the week so will look at next weekend.
meantime will check the forum how to's
Ah I didn't realise the bike had been running. If you fitted manual CCT's, has one come loose allowing the valve timing to now be out, as that's not entirely unheard of with manual CCT's,

Chris.
chaz

Post by chaz »

not manuals cct'cs. new oem.
has been riding runs of 10 miles max, as he is unemployed he cant afford much but needs transport.
its possible I might be swapping a car for the bike ... wouldn't be the first engine swap Ive done on a storm.

I regularly service it for him, so up on the oils. had a pair of carbs fitted which I got from the forum which helps fuel consumption.