Bent valves? Thread hijacked, so closed for replies

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
madmax

Re: Bent valves? VTR 1000 cylinder head rebuild service

Post by madmax »

Maybe should of said I was think of using a bendy metal hose not a rubber one for that reason but if it's to the air box at least I should be able to do it without taking the carbs off again to replace it at a later date if need be. Not going to ride it for a while as no time at the min but eager to at least get it fired up and see where I am while I have a day free.
Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

This thread has been so hijacked I'm out.
No more head rebuilds.
Tony
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Finally running but not well! Think its the carb at fault. Rear cylinder seems to work ok and after running is quite cool to the touch. but front is white smoking lumpy and warm to the touch after running. cant rev it can only just run. Any ideas? ps I hate carbs. Sorry vid not great but better than nothing! Little puff of white smoke out of the carb too at the end. spent ages checking the timing but worried it may be a fraction out!

[youtube][/youtube]
Bite my shiny metal ass
Bida

Re: Bent valves? Thread hijacked, so closed for replies

Post by Bida »

Hello Tony . I am a newby and would like to say thanks for having me . I have a question . I am in the middle of replacing the front head . Is the tensioner and guide, which look like they bolt on ,down in the crank case , supposed to have a lot of side to side slack .
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The bottom bolt (behind the flywheel for the front one) isn't holding the tensioner blades tightly, it's for top to bottom location.
The guide has grooves in so the chain self-centres when it's pressed against the blade by the tensioner.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Bida

Post by Bida »

Thanks Tony , those guides just seem flimsy , freaking me out . The trauma of the manual tensioner vibrating loose is all the drama I can stand.