Bent valves? Thread hijacked, so closed for replies

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
tony.mon

Bent valves? Thread hijacked, so closed for replies

Post by tony.mon »

Had a CCT failure? Bent some valves in the front head?
It's not exactly unusual.

The first things anyone is told when they join is FIT MANUAL CCT's or do the stopper modification.... and now you know why....
But if it's already broken, or you bought one with bent valves, there's a solution.

Send me your head, I'll strip it and check that it's ok to re-use. The only (rare) failure to stop it being refurbished and refitted is if one of the valve guides is cracked- and that's easy to see when valves are removed. If It's not reusable, then there's no charge.

But I have spare valves, (from bikes that have been broken for parts), ready to use in your head.
I'll check clearances, and clean the carbon off, then fit good second hand valves, lap them in, and as long as you have also sent me the cams and cam caps I can then shim the clearances ready to refit the head.

When the work is complete you can arrange collection from my address- that way you arrange the carriage both ways and can use the courier you prefer, or you can drop it off to my home in Sevenoaks, Kent, if you're local.

For the rebuild- supply and fit two or four secondhand valves, as required, lapping them in to ensure a good seat seal, and shimming the valve clearances I charge £60.
If you prefer using new valves, please purchase these and send them to me with the head, and I will fit them for you- they still need lapping and shimming, the cost with this option is £30. (David Silvers list inlet valves at £19.95, Genuine Honda ones, and shims are around a fiver each, which I will supply in the prices quoted on an exchange basis). Pattern ones are fine.

It's almost always the front head that goes, but it makes no difference to the costs, parts or labour which one it is.
If the valve head has snapped off and rattled around knocking a hole in the piston, sorry, I can't work miracles, time for a refurbed engine. Contact marks in the piston crown will be ok.

If you're new on here and don't have enough posts (you need 50) to send a Personal Message (PM button on the right) then just post below and I'll respond.

Tony
Last edited by tony.mon on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Re: Bent valves? VTR 1000 cylinder head rebuild service

Post by bigtwinthing »

Thats a great service Tony. :thumbup:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
laverda99

Post by laverda99 »

Hi there,
This is possibly not the right place to be asking you this, but I couldn't work any other link on the forum, maybe as I'm a noob here.
I've just got me a new VTR1000, and it appears to have unmodified CCTs as far as I can see.
I understand its a good thing to change asap, and I saw a post saying that you will do them for £60 so wondering if we can get together in the near future and do that?
Also wanted to ask your advice on the best replacements - is there a lot of difference between the options, or one type you prefer to fit? Let me know and I will order them up!
Thanks
Steve
laverda99 on the forum
Last edited by laverda99 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings - Have a gander at the manual CCT options here > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

and have a read here of specific VTR maintenance, upgrades & mods in the *** Read Me for New Members *** thread.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638

Plus best edit out your email in your post before it gets trawled up by spambots...
laverda99 wrote:Hi there,
This is possibly not the right place to be asking you this, but I couldn't work any other link on the forum, maybe as I'm a noob here.
I've just got me a new VTR1000, and it appears to have unmodified CCTs as far as I can see.
I understand its a good thing to change asap, and I saw a post saying that you will do them for £60 so wondering if we can get together in the near future and do that?
Also wanted to ask your advice on the best replacements - is there a lot of difference between the options, or one type you prefer to fit? Let me know and I will order them up!
Thanks
Steve
laverda99 on the forum, ********** in real life
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Thanks, Steve, I've emailed you, please remove the email address from your post using the edit button.
Cheers Tony
laverda99

Post by laverda99 »

Just wanted to mention that Tony put my new CCTs in and did a great job!
Thanks
Steve
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

david46dave, you contacted me on Ebay but I can't reply and include my contact details.
Hopefully you'll see this.
Yes, I have the valves you might need.
Post a reply; you won't be able to PM me on her if you have less than 50 posts, but I will then contact you.
dave46

Post by dave46 »

Hi tony...yes that helped

yeah so my rear cct went...at v low revs,,just damaged the 2 exhaust valves....pistons fine as is the head,sets,n guides...im hoping you can help me save a few quid over fitting new valves..cheers dave
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

dave46 wrote:Hi tony...yes that helped

yeah so my rear cct went...at v low revs,,just damaged the 2 exhaust valves....pistons fine as is the head,sets,n guides...im hoping you can help me save a few quid over fitting new valves..cheers dave
PM'd, Dave.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Hey, am think am looking for someone to do my valves on my front cylinder and read your post! Already have it stripped and re timed but fails to hold compresion when turning it over manually. I can hear the air leaking out and strongly suspect damaged valves (usual cam chain story) How are you fixed for work lol? Also can anyone tell me the exact number of bolts securing the cam head onto the cylinder block? I intend to remove this so I can better see the damage to the valves I had a bad experience once removing a head on my z1 (missed some bolts and broke it!) Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There are six large bolts and two smaller ones inside the cam chain tunnel.
Currently I don't think I have any 2nd hand exhaust vales left but can check at the weekend, if not new ones aren't exorbitant, David Silvers or Wemoto, or, of course Honda main dealer are usually best. I have lots of inlet valves.
I could turn it round in a week, or build a good head to exchange for your one.
Let me know by posting here, and although you won't be able to send me a message just yet (you'll need 50 posts) Ican send you my contact details.
First, pull the head and have a look, if you're not sure you can post a picture.
Good luck
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Stuff some rags or an old t-shirt down the cam tunnel as you don't want to risk loosing the two smaller bolts down inside the engine :eek2
==============================Enter the Darkside
madmax

Post by madmax »

Thanks guys for the quick reply.

The head will be off this weekend and I will check the extent of the damage. I am good with my spanners but dont fancy replacing valves and shimming myself as I want it doing right! I will keep you posted as I suspect I will need Tony's skills. Thanks again.
Bite my shiny metal ass
madmax

Post by madmax »

Hey tony.mon.

As promised please have a look at my valves/piston, oh err....

It looks like the exhast valves bent for sure but also looks like the inlet valves are not seated flush either looks like theey are all damaged.
good news is the cylinder looks good, cant see any obvious contact marks. Photos below I think you can see what I am saying from looking at them.

Pictures are never great but I think these paint a good picture.

PS Help....... :crazy:

Time for a :beer:
Bite my shiny metal ass
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Is that with the cams removed?
==============================Enter the Darkside