Cuts out in gear randomly.

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
t13ony

Cuts out in gear randomly.

Post by t13ony »

Hi guys, new to the forum so excuse me if I sound ridiculous but my baby has serious kickstand cut out switch issues and I need help :/ so down to business.
My vtr has around 32000 Miles, 3000 of them covered by me since the start of the summer, but It ran great till after a ferry trip to holland for the gp wen the bike started to cut out in gear.
So basically the problem is that randomly the bike will die in gear and refuse to start until in neutral... But will always start in neutral and die wen clicked into gear. Once it cuts out it will only work wen it wants.
I have removed the fuse from the datatool immobiliser bypassing this and eliminating it as an issue.
I have also snipped and hardwired together the kickstand Wires(g/w- green-y/b) located at the block connect under the seat at the tank. So by doing this the bike should think the kickstand is up all the time but also has the sidestand light on. These things together had the bike working for a few months and even did a 400 mile round roadtrip last week, with no bothers, but yesterday it started cutting out again and very frequently, it struggles to go 100 yards before cutting out and only working again wen it wants.. All the while allowing me to start it in neutral, sometimes with an almighty bang as it ignites unburnt fuel.
And again today except I made it 2 miles to fill it up with fuel for it to start dieing every 100 yards again.
I'm convinced it's an electronic safety cut out because of the way it will burst into life as soon as it's in Neutral.
But if the sidestand switch is hardwired together surely it should be bypassed eliminating it as the culprit? I need help guys any advice would b appreciated! I have tried cleaning around the switch as much as possible without removing it. But again surely it should b bypassed with what ive done so far? I'm really confused. It does appear to be totally random wiggling connectors and the stand and wires doesn't appear to affect it even the old turn it off turn it on doesn't work everytime.
darkember

Re: Cuts out in gear randomly.

Post by darkember »

Having by-passed the kickstand switch as long as you have spliced the correct wires :D . There are 2 other switches to look at and they are the neutral switch and the kill switch.
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

I had similar prob with clutch cut out switch attached to lever, just a thought
t13ony

Post by t13ony »

Thanx for the thoughts lads, I actually don't think my clutch switch works I didn't even know it had 1 at first. I've never had t use the clutch to start it.
But on contemplation would the clutch switch b considered as a fault wen the clutch would b out wen driving in gear anyway? Why would it kill the bike in gear? Any ideas?
Also can u just verify Wat the clutch switch is for please? I would imagine it's so u don't start the bike in gear?
t13ony

Post by t13ony »

darkember wrote:Having by-passed the kickstand switch as long as you have spliced the correct wires :D . There are 2 other switches to look at and they are the neutral switch and the kill switch.
Thanx for reply, would the neutral switch being faulty cause these cut outs? How would I test that to see if it's to blame? The neutral light works fine and operates as I'd expect. Or could that b fooling me?
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

t13ony wrote:Thanx for the thoughts lads, I actually don't think my clutch switch works I didn't even know it had 1 at first. I've never had t use the clutch to start it.
But on contemplation would the clutch switch b considered as a fault wen the clutch would b out wen driving in gear anyway? Why would it kill the bike in gear? Any ideas?
Also can u just verify Wat the clutch switch is for please? I would imagine it's so u don't start the bike in gear?
I stalled the bike in first at some lights (carb fart thing) so whipped the clutch lever in pressed button, nothing ! select neutral, bike starts , then started to have similar probs to you, replaced switch, back to normal
darkember

Post by darkember »

I find a good dousing of electrical cleaner into the switch area works wonders
t13ony

Post by t13ony »

Cheers guys, Il look into your ideas. :)
t13ony

Post by t13ony »

If I disconnect my clutch switch with the 2 wires at the switch on the handlebar, should I still b able to start the bike in neutral and click it into gear with engine still running?
Mine does.
But won't let me start it in gear with clutch in.
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

t13ony wrote:If I disconnect my clutch switch with the 2 wires at the switch on the handlebar, should I still b able to start the bike in neutral and click it into gear with engine still running?
Mine does.
But won't let me start it in gear with clutch in.
Yes that sound right, seems your switch is ok
t13ony

Post by t13ony »

Gonna try tracing those wires back then see if there's a break or if they'r touching sumwer. Cheers for the advice, any input would b appreciated.
t13ony

Post by t13ony »

Does anyone know where the kickstand switch is earthed on the frame?
Want to check that's not an issue.