cam and valve removal????

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
mr-jeff

cam and valve removal????

Post by mr-jeff »

Hi guys,

Sooooo.. my cam chain tensioner failed before i got round to replacing them :oops:

following cybercarls guide i have stripped down everything and removed cylinder head covers.

rear cylinder timed up without any problems but......

when it comes to the front it will not crank far enough for me to find tdc and the cams are nowhere near to pointing where they should be!!!

i don't want to force it any further as i'm guessing something has gone quite wrong in there :(

Does any body have a how to or a guide on what i should do next?

how do i tell if any valves are bent or anything else?

i am fairly novice at all this but not afraid to wield the spanners with decent instructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the sun is now out and my storm is in bits in my garage!! :sick:

thanks
Sounds like thunder, goes like lightning!!
Wicky

Re: cam and valve removal????

Post by Wicky »

Get in contact with Tony Mons (cuurently down in Devon) nr Brands Hatch as it seems highly probable that the timing had skipped when the CCT failed and you've some bent valves to contend with.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
darkember

Post by darkember »

If it won't crank round to set the front then the valves are touching the piston. DON'T FORCE IT. It sounds like the head will have to come off for starters.
mr-jeff

Post by mr-jeff »

Ok thanks for replies chaps.

I've been thinking and i may be wrong as is often the case but.......
i was riding the bike when the tensioner failed and after a brief stop i continued the short distance to work.
During this time apart from the noise, the bike did seem to be running fine.
Soooo i was thinking, what are the chances that now the cam chain is not under tension could it be snagged or catching somehow and preventing the crank from turning.
I don't know if that is possible but if it was running ok apart from the noise and has not been run since then could it be possible that my valves are not bent?

Yes i know I'm clutching at straws here but hey moneys tight right now so if theres a chance it may be something simple and cheaper then I'm up for that!!

Any thoughts on the subject gratefully received :thumbup:

Cheers
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You will have to try and see if the engine will rotate in the wrong direction CLOCKWISE. I wouldn't recommend it normally as it puts extra tension on a standard CCT, but hopefully you will be replacing or modifying the standard CCT's anyway.
If you can get it to turn see if you can get the front cylinder cam lobes facing upwards, or at least not pressing down on the valves. Then check the valve clearances, if you have bent some valves you'll find the clearances will be miles out,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Argh Sevenoaks.....you might see me one day flying along the A21 as I am quite often backwards and forwards from Battle.

As has been said DO NOT TRY TO FORCE ANYTHING as you could cause further damage. Valves will be meeting the piston where the timing has gone out of whack. You could simply simply loosen or better still remove the cams so there is no tension on the valve springs and reset the timing. There's only 4 bolts holding each cam in place. Be careful not to loose the cam chain down inside the engine (not so bad on the front) and hold it taught while turning the crank when resetting the timing.

You may want to read some of the links in the following post I just posted too.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 01#p389414

And please be careful when tightening down the cam cap bolts :eek2
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ps#p351596

Do check your valve clearances while at TDC on the compression stroke as this will soon determine if any valves have drastically bent. Depending on the amount of damage if any, you may end up having to remove a cylinder head but don't panic, it's no biggie :roll: First lets determine if the any valves are bent and if, by how much.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just pull the head off to check for sure but short of that have a look at how the buckets sit in the heads.
The buckets should sit at the same height compared to thesurrounding castings - with the cams out of course.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mr-jeff

Post by mr-jeff »

Ok once again thanks for the input guys.
I will try to see if i can get it freed by a little clockwise movement when i get time probably this weekend, work getting in the way as usual.
Thinking about it a bit more, when i did the timing on the rear cylinder that went fine so surely if the valves were bent then that would have stopped me timing the rear cylinder too
as they are both connected at the crank.
Oh well no point in sulking all week. I'll hopefully find out one way or the other on saturday and report back, probably for further guidance :Worship1:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

As you're in Sevenoaks and so am I, I'll pop round and sort it if you like...
PM'd my phone number.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mr-jeff

Post by mr-jeff »

Hi guys
Just a quick update.....I'm back and more importantly so is my storm :D
Thanks for all the input and advice.
But extra kudos to mr tony.mon who came to my rescue and whipped out the cams for me as i didn't really know what i was doing.
Gave the once over, put them back and timed her up for me. :Worship1:
Long story short...the storm is alive again with no bent valves luckily.
Next job now is new chain as i noticed today mine somewhat resembles a wizards sleeve might as well do the sprockets too while I'm at it.
I'll post up when i do cos i may well f**k it up lol

Thanks again
mr-jeff

Post by mr-jeff »

Hello I'm back already!
Not after help this time though.
Whilst mooching in my garage today i came across an led rear light unit for the storm.
The guy i bought the bike from gave it to me and it appears to be all shiny and new. He said it has internal indicators too.
It has no instductions and I don't want to start messing with my wiring just yet sooooo who wants it?
I'm not allowed to post in for sale board yet so thought I'd cheekily bang it on here :thumbup:
Before cybercarl tells me off i must add....I'm not actually selling it if that makes a difference.
First come, first served. Whoever claims it first can have it for free if they come n pick it up.
Reply to post or pm me if interested.
Cheers
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's not my job to tell you off but I might remark on it but seeing as it 's free I can't even do that. :lol:

mr-jeff

Post by mr-jeff »

Oh go on, you know you want to :lol:
mr-jeff

Post by mr-jeff »

I also had a set of adjustable black shorty levers. But I've just fitted those and i like em a lot so sorry I'm keeping them :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh go on, you know you want to :lol:
You got to be kidding haven't you. Personally I wouldn't even respond and simply delete along with a PM as to why....but I can't so one gets a push in the right direction in one way or another. :lol: But seeing as you offering for FREE :clap: :clap: that wins brownie points around here and what the biking community is all about. Helping each other out..... comradeship. :thumbup:

You have me thinking now. Do we need a section for Freebies :idea: The Bargain Bin I suppose is the place for that :think: to keep things kinda tidy. Start a thread over there mr-jeff with what freebies you have. The Knowledgebase is for....err knowledgeable info.
I also had a set of adjustable black shorty levers. But I've just fitted those and i like em a lot so sorry I'm keeping them :D
Nah you don't want them :lol: I need a new pair. :biggrin I love the shorty's. Once you get used to them it's hard to go back. They also have the added benefit that if you do happen to drop the bike there is less chance of them getting bent/broken. Saying that though mine did not survive the last one :eek2 I would never buy the the adjustable ones again as this was the weak point, either go short or long. There's no in-betweens.

:beer: