shim replacement/removing camshafts help!

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
vtrnz

Re: shim replacement/removing camshafts help!

Post by vtrnz »

did the ccts a while back, soon as i got the bike really, so yes already been used to slight change in noise from that. its more of this ss ss ss ss in time with stroke type sound....??

yep carbs down snug. felt the thud. although after a check just now, can see bottom clamp on rear carb is not aligned well enough to gain max purchase with sdriver. will sort.

yep all other hoses good on checking. started up first time on choke....sounded pretty good. :D no back fires on throttle, occaisonal when blipped and coming back off.

the warmer it got, the more it/he seems to 'hang' at approx 2.5sh/2k before resting about 12/ 1250. the higher the blip, the more pronounced the hang.

initially even when warmed, didnt really want to idle, or seemed like it would cut out, so just tweaked idle screw by hand to lift idle.

is that acceptable? or is the hang the real symptom and im just masking it by tweaking the idle screw?

tps ? not convinced with my readings. is it possible to reset without having to strip carbs out etc ?

made me laugh re the he/she thing. i know its tradition or culture to call motors shes,...sure i do. and no i dont wear dresses!! :D i kind of see him like my dog, harry really.....like..''are we going out then?...for a run? fast..muck about?....make some noise?'' that kinda thing. rather than some awkward 'woman' !! :Argue 1:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

did the ccts a while back, soon as i got the bike really, so yes already been used to slight change in noise from that. its more of this ss ss ss ss in time with stroke type sound....??
Did you cap the pipe off from the front carb.
is that acceptable? or is the hang the real symptom and im just masking it by tweaking the idle screw?
Most likely masking over tuning/jetting but you don't want to go there yet until you know that everything else is all good.
tps ? not convinced with my readings. is it possible to reset without having to strip carbs out etc ?
Did you do a carb balance beforehand.
no i dont wear dresses!! :D i
That's a shame I was going to lend you my Pink tu tu :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
vtrnz

Post by vtrnz »

so took tank and airbox off again....dicovered the wee cap i put on end of the thin tube/pipe from carb up to pair was either blown off or had come off some how.
blocked and re-capped. could be answer to ss ss ss ss :)
re-seated carbs and adjusted clips to better bite with driver.
without air box managed to get readings from tps prongs of 875. several readings, all 875.
should i tend to this, now, before putting everthing back?
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

vtrnz wrote: without air box managed to get readings from tps prongs of 875. several readings, all 875.
should i tend to this, now, before putting everthing back?
May as well if you are in there.
vtrnz

Post by vtrnz »

ok, so done some reading...can answer my own q.

need to balance before tps.

can one make that ball baring gauge? ie length of tube, 2 ball bearings? or is more complex?
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

vtrnz wrote:ok, so done some reading...can answer my own q.

need to balance before tps.

can one make that ball baring gauge? ie length of tube, 2 ball bearings? or is more complex?
I use a carbtune. Have found home made ones unreliable.
vtrnz

Post by vtrnz »

thanks spokes,

where dyou get yours? how much?

seem quite hard to find....
vtrnz

Post by vtrnz »

just a catch up really.....
so done all the stuff I set out to do and some other stuff too. :crazy:
adjusted valves. removed pair system. balanced carbs, they were pretty good anyway, and adjust tps down to about 512.
fired him up and took down road......sweet as. couldnt belieeeeeeve how xtra smooth. :crazy: :mrgreen:
just need to put all plastics back on after some tidyups and cleaning and go riding. :thumbup:
will post some pics when all done.
just wanted to say thanks again carl, and others. a great site....helping others go where theyve never been or meant to go before!!! :wave: :beer:
jason :)