Failed cct symptoms?

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
BrianC

Failed cct symptoms?

Post by BrianC »

Just what might seem a silly question.

If a cct has failed and the chain jumped, would the engine still turn over?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking at a storm that is allegedly 'sluggish' on the starter and won't start - hopefully it's just the usual starter or cable problem but any comments or views will be welcome.

Regards
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Failed cct symptoms?

Post by sirch345 »

If the cam chain jumped the cam sprockets when the bike was being ridden, then yes I'd say it should turn over easily. If the valve timing was set wrongly I.E.when changing the CCT's etc, then it may not on the press of the starter if the valves are touching the piston. Although in your post you say it's "allegedly 'sluggish' on the starter" which would suggest it is turning over. Not sure if that's any help :)

Chris.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Hia Chris

The dealer says he fitted a new battery and it is sluggish on turn over - my guess would be the starter or cable - just info gathering before taking plunge !!!!

Fancy a V twin to share the garage with my 98 blade

This forum is amazing by the way - I spend every evening reading all the mechanical stuff, really helpful

Brian
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Tell the dealer that you have researched with the owners club on the internet and it is likely to be a CCTs failure and bent valves, that way he will have to knock the price down.
So if it is only an electrical connection problem you are on a winner and if it is a CCT you can fix it at home and still not lose out.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Tell the dealer that you have researched with the owners club on the internet and it is likely to be a CCTs failure and bent valves, that way he will have to knock the price down.
So if it is only an electrical connection problem you are on a winner and if it is a CCT you can fix it at home and still not lose out.
:) that sounds like a plan :wink:

Either way Brian you are buying a non-runner, or someone will be, so it should be priced accordingly.

Good luck, and don't forget to lets us know how you get on,

Chris.