Starting problem

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Rlong

Starting problem

Post by Rlong »

I have a 1999 which has had starting issues since I bought it. I changed the wiring from the connector block (stator o/p) to the reg/rec, changed the reg / rec, changed the battery and starter motor. Checked all electrical and earths. All ok, however the bike turns over slowly, and is slower still when choke is on. ?? :confused The bike won't start with choke . Think I need to overhaul carbs next, unless anyone has other suggestions. Thx in advance. :confused
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Starting problem

Post by sirch345 »

If you're sure your battery is good, take a look at this link if you've not already:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=20849

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Have you checked the voltage at the battery terminals with a multi-meter :?: You should be getting a reading between 13.5 and 15.5 volts with the engine running and lights off,

Chris.
Rlong

Post by Rlong »

Thanks Chris. I'm pretty sure it's not that, I'm wondering if the tps is in need of adjustment after just reading up on it, don't know if this would affect choke operation though.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

TPS setting will not have much effect on cold starting, this is going to be a battery voltage issue.

it looks like you have done most of the checks, but you need to try with a good battery from another bike, as this will still be the main suspect
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Did you check the alternator? As burnt out windings on the stator can lead to below optimum charging. Some will appear sooty black and frazzled rather than nice and clean and coppery coloured.

When you changed R/R what did you replace the original unfinned one for? Any burns evident on any wiring connectors?

Invest in a multimeter and give the charging system a thorough testing to find the source of your woes.

Regulator Rectifier Charging System Diagnosis Checks > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28771
Rlong wrote:I have a 1999 which has had starting issues since I bought it. I changed the wiring from the connector block (stator o/p) to the reg/rec, changed the reg / rec, changed the battery and starter motor. Checked all electrical and earths. All ok, however the bike turns over slowly, and is slower still when choke is on. ?? :confused The bike won't start with choke . Think I need to overhaul carbs next, unless anyone has other suggestions. Thx in advance. :confused
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
budd

Post by budd »

I goes without saying your, battery, charging system etc should be in tip top condition as the big pistons take quite a bit of effort to get spinning over so any weakness in the basic system will result in starting issues. But assuming everything is OK I think it may be a back pressure issue because mine used to do this, but only when it had the race cans fitted, on OE pipes it would start easily with a some choke, but put the race cans on and it wouldn't start if you used the choke, I had to give it a little throttle and wait for it to fire then pull the choke on slightly to keep it running until warmed through.
It was only really an issue when it was cold in the summer it generally started with little or no choke regardless of cans, once warmed up it would start no problem. I just lived with it and got used to sort of coercing it into life when it had the race cans on, maybe nothing to do with the different back pressure offered by the different cans it could just be a coincidence but it’s something to consider.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
Rlong

Post by Rlong »

Thanks for the replies chaps, the battery has just been renewed, 11 amp 210 cca .the stator was replaced with a known good one and gave same readings, this was all checked by tony a member when he fitted my manual ccts. We also ran another earth cable, tony found that the front cylinder was 90deg out, the reg/rec was changed for a honda finned replacement. The exhaust is standard. The electrical test was done following the post on here for starting and charging, which is when I found scorched scorched wires at the rec end and badly corroded at the other . I replaced all this. I only just found out that the original battery which I took to get replaced was only a 6 amp, like a fool I took the battery and asked for one of them please. 2 new batteries later it only came to light when I rang to ask about the cca and amps. I plan to go through all the electrical again tomorrow
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I have the same with race cans . Throttle first then choke .