Head lamp flickers on & off

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Davie_A

Head lamp flickers on & off

Post by Davie_A »

Hi I have just bought a VTR1000F 2002 (52) plate and I am having trouble with the head lamp flickering on and off any ideas why this could be the case
darkember

Re: Head lamp flickers on & off

Post by darkember »

Does it flicker when you touch the switch if so is a dodgy switch or connection in the switch or it could be a bad earth which will need to be traced use the wiring diagram F1-F5 models
Davie_A

Post by Davie_A »

Thanks for the advice, in general the main beam stays on but the high beam flickers more. The bike had only done 300 miles over the past year so I gave the switches a good spray with WD40 and they eased off a bit, and got a bit of an improvement but still not 100%, so I think it probably is the switch
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Try spraying out the starter button to. Headlight power feed goes through this as well so it shuts the headlight off when starting. Common Honda problem.
Davie_A

Post by Davie_A »

Hi I have tried a new (replacement used) switch but no joy. I have taken all the fairing off to access the connectors better, the blue wire coming from the L/Hand switch for the lights gives me power 12.56 Volts at the bulb connection when high beam is switched on. All the display lights are working as are tail lights and indicators. The headlight also has a white wire which I think should be operating the low beam there is no power to this. There is also a green wire but everything else green connects to is working.

The manual I downloaded says there is a blue / white feed from the starter switch but I cant see any blue / white from there

Should the white have a power feed ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Try the following wiring diagram as it may be a bit clearer to read.

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Davie_A

Post by Davie_A »

Thanks Cybercarl the diagram is far better,and a lot clearer to follow through, but my problem is I'm not too good with electrics, can you or anyone else tell me how to check this out?

sorry to be a pest

cheers :?
Davie_A

Post by Davie_A »

Well after a surf of you tube and looking at some basic electrical testing on bikes I traced the problem to the dimmer switch the dip beam button was sticking, the bike had only done 300 miles in the last year before I bought it so a good spray of WD40 and repeated pushing on & off of the button freed it off. I then replaced the bulb with 60/55w bike super bright from Halfords that was recommended on one of workshop boards, supposed to be 90% brighter and it certainly was a big improvement.

Cheers for the advice

Davie
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Good news well done for finding and fixing it :clap:
Davie_A

Post by Davie_A »

Thanks lloydie it was a big help from Cybercarl posting the wiring diagram

Cheers :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's a good job we see colour and not just Black and White :lol:

WD will work on a temporary basis, it's a simple quick easy temporary fix. But over time it will aid to clogging things up as it builds up more and more as it's used more, gets mixed with the old dirty grease inside the switch, goes gooey and dirt sticks to it even more so.

The proper way's to do things would be to strip the switch down, clean out with an electrical contact cleaner and use a dielectric/silicone grease in there.

Well done on tracking down the source of the problem though. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside