Replacing the wiring loom/harness?

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Captain Shapeless

Replacing the wiring loom/harness?

Post by Captain Shapeless »

Hello all. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't seem to find anything.

I've got yet another electrical problem on my bike (blowing the 30 amp main fuse), and, on closer inspection, it's not surprising, as the loom/harness seems to be stuck together with spit and glue - terminal block connectors everywhere, fraying wiring, and just general rot. Honestly, I'm surprised the poor girl's has lasted this long. With this in mind, I think the sensible solution is a complete replacement of the wiring loom/harness. I've got a replacement harness off eBay which is in surprisingly good nick, but I've also found a US site (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html item 11), which has a brand new wiring harness for £185 delivered, which seems a decent price considering the only quote for a new wiring loom that I've been able to get so far was £488!

The question is, how big a job is it ro replace the wiring loom/harness? I'm assuming I'll need to take off all body work, the fuel tank and airbox, but what have I missed? Is it a case of starting at one end and replacing each plug in sequence, making sure I follow the same routing, being methodical and taking my time? How long should I allow for it? One day, two days, more/less?

Any advice gratefully received!
Black VTR + loud pipes = big grin + many car alarms set off
Wicky

Re: Replacing the wiring loom/harness?

Post by Wicky »

Replacing Loom > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30467

Loom Replacement > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25493

Be careful as the US listed loom for Superhawk might have significantly different wiring compared to UK version.

There are illustrations of loom/cable routing and connections in the downloadable PDF Workshop manual in the workshop knowledgebase.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You can easily do it in a day . Start at the back and work your way to the front .
Captain Shapeless

Post by Captain Shapeless »

:thumbup:

Cheers both, looks like that's a little job for next weekend.

Thnaks again!
Black VTR + loud pipes = big grin + many car alarms set off
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Yep, quite a nice job actually. I reckon it took me about 2hrs once plastics and tank were off. Go with a good used one, it's easy enough to check through before you fit it.

Pretty straight forward, you will find you need to drop the back of the undertray down to get wires through between frame and tray and there is a tight spot between engine and frame somewhere, cant remember exactly. I found it easier to drop the bulk of the front half down through the gap above left footpeg as gravity helps rather than hinders. Just take some photo's first of where it is now, but don't assume yours goes the right way if it's already been butchered.

Taking left rad off will help if you can be bothered to drain it.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

And get yourself a lot of cable ties as you will need them to tidy it all up
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Carbs and cowl underneath will have to be removed for routing of the rad fan and TPS wires as they run on the inside cross section off the frame.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
eezee29

Post by eezee29 »

allow me to jump in! Will '05 vtr1000f Loom work as replacement for my '98 vtr1000f? Thinking if I want to replace might as well try to get the new-ish one....oh anyone tried 'upgrading the oem Loom to better grade wires etc? Anyone knows if somebody does it?
trying very hard to get over the 50 posts hurdle :lol:
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

eezee29 wrote:allow me to jump in! Will '05 vtr1000f Loom work as replacement for my '98 vtr1000f? Thinking if I want to replace might as well try to get the new-ish one....oh anyone tried 'upgrading the oem Loom to better grade wires etc? Anyone knows if somebody does it?
Not a direct fit, no. Looms are different but to what extent I don't know... do know the main switches and clocks all have different connectors on them. I would imagine looking for a correct year loom from a low miles bike would be by far your best option rather than having to be cutting and joining.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The newer loom from an 05 bike will have the wiring for the HISS security.So i should imagine it' likely to be different.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

alanfjones1411 wrote:The newer loom from an 05 bike will have the wiring for the HISS security.So i should imagine it' likely to be different.
Talk about missing out the obvious... I was trying to think of differences between my 2 bikes, one being a early model the other late but didn't even think of the HISS system Doh! :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

HISS system.

Different indi conectors.

The ICU & Spark box fit in different places so the wires are different lenghts...In fact one of the boxes ICU is compleatly different.

So on a late model loom will not fit.

Either source an early one or change bike...!

I have an early loom in the cave. I removed it to get the alarm off. It also has the R/R wires modded, plug removed but could be reinstated...Other than that it's all good.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
eezee29

Post by eezee29 »

parts obsolete for order not helping..looks like i may have to source a used one for sample and then work them up replacing each from ground up...lots of work and hassle true but for the peace of mind...
trying very hard to get over the 50 posts hurdle :lol: