CCT Problem Solved (100% guaranteed)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
jono

Post by jono »

Hi Dell, and All,

How are we doing on this solution?
Are you going to have something (parts) that you can ship to the land of the free and home of the brave so I can put it in myself?

Jon
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

land of the free and home of the brave

Are you moving out of the USA then :lol: LOL
jono

Post by jono »

Well, I lived in the UK for about five years - so I guess I'm qualified to make a comparison :D Thinking about moving to Mars. Less gravity there certainly should help the tensile quality of Honda CCT spring steel.

Anyway - back to the conversation; Dell, how are you doing on your solution?
Jon
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Still waiting for the test bike

Del.
brianwinch

CCT

Post by brianwinch »

I am a new member and don`t know how long this subject has been running. The spring in the CCT unit on the front cylinder of my Firestorm broke a few weeks ago on the way back from Brands and the cam chain jumped the sprocket. I was very lucky and stopped befor it could cause serious damage. I now worry when ever I am out in case it happens again. Would be delighted if someone could come up with a solution to this problem. Honda don`t think there is one!
busydoingnothing
Rollingalong

Post by Rollingalong »

jono and Brian .

Go the http://www.aperaceparts.com or to the direct link here .

http://www.cbrzone.com/sprockets.html

They ship Internationaly
TAFFTHEMAGICDRAGON

Post by TAFFTHEMAGICDRAGON »

New storm owner getting cocerned about CCT'S
mINES A 2000 with 17,000 on the clock . At about what mileage do they pop. No rattles as yet and are they self adjusting?
:twisted:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Taff
if it's not wrattling don't worry. Some have gone with less than 500 miles on the clock others have done 30,000 miles without a hitch.
My first one went at 18,000 and the replacement went 7,000 after that. Now 5,000 miles later the other one (which hasn't been changed from new) is starting to get a bit noisey when cold.
The main thing is as soon as you think you hear it change it. Then you can't go too far wrong :wink:
Pete.l
brianwinch

cct

Post by brianwinch »

Your suggestion Pete.L is fine if you are a couple of miles from home, but if you happen to be 70 miles from home and the chain jumps a sprocket without warning, and you have to wait hours to get the bike and yourself home, it`s not such a good idea. The problem needs solving.
I have had a look at the "aperaceparts" site suggested by "rollingalong" and seems that this may be an answer to this problem. I understand that this is a solution adopted in racing circles in many types of engine. I would be interested to hear other members views on this particular solution especially if they have used them themselves.
busydoingnothing
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Brainwnich said
but if you happen to be 70 miles from home and the chain jumps a sprocket without warning
Well then you're buggard :lol:
normally you get a bit of warning but sometime life is unfair unless you have a crystal ball and know what you're doing :wink: :wink:
Then he said
The problem needs solving.
Don't hold your breath waiting on Honda. Their cam chain tensioners have been wrattling since the seventies and they haven't fixed em yet.
And then he said
have had a look at the "aperaceparts" site suggested by "rollingalong" and seems that this may be an answer to this problem.
Max also has had them fitted. He's just reported in 3000 miles so far and no problems.
And I've just ordered a pair but there's a 2 week back order delay at the mo so I'll let you know when I get them :D

Pete.l
curly

Post by curly »

Hi,
With these Ape tensioners how do you know how much tension to put on when they are fitted?
If they are as good as they sound why doesn't Honda change to a design like this? Or would they lose too much money from cct sales?!!!

Curly.
Galaxieman

Post by Galaxieman »

How often should the manual ones be adjusted, assuming I can get the wife to approve their purchase? Every chain lube (500mi)? Guess they wouldn't be that hard though given the tensioner locations. Front one would be a bit harder, but not too bad. Any suggestions?
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Curly, Galaxieman.
Ape tensioners just arrived today(so much for the two/three week dalay :D ) So I'm not complaining.
According to the instuctions (sticky label on rear of packaging) to correctly set the tension, remove the cam cover,push down on the chain between the cams and screw in the tensioner untill the is between 1/4 to 3/8" deflection in the chain.... Abridged version. :D
It doesn't say how often to adjust but if max has done 3000miles and it's not needed yet thats good enough for me.
As for removing the cam covers everytime they need adjusting I think I might go back to te old way and do it by ear after checking it a couple of times first :wink:
Pete.l
Anonymous

cct's

Post by Anonymous »

i binned the honda ones and made a set from ally billet have rung the bikes neck time and time again and there perfect
roadrun_fr

Post by roadrun_fr »

Huh ??? What do you say ? :oops:
V-Twin POWAAAAAAAAAAH !!!!