Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Hairy biker

Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Post by Hairy biker »

I've sorted now it sorry guys
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
Rider on a Storm

Post by Rider on a Storm »

:clap: well done very nice job indeed, no :beer: the night before as the pictures are crystal clear.
Tray
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

fourstrokes fill me with dread :redface but really good write up sir and i think il tackle that job myself..cheers..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

This facebook thread shows the importance of using theadlock when installing manual CCTS, and making sure the locknut is done up securely.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
superhawk996xx

Post by superhawk996xx »

Umm....What happened to your pistons? :wtf:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Not mine - but pictures from the 'Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm owners!' facebook group from an owner who installed manuals where the locknut unwound and he forgot to use threadlock.

Piston meet valves - Valves meet piston... :eek2
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't recommend the use of threadlock and to use a liquid gasket sealant instead. Threadlock becomes brittle and cracks so will need re-doing later on. Not only that but most peole do not use enough to seal things properly. This is one of the reasons people get oil creeping along the threads. Not only should it be used on the thread for sealing inside the orifice where the thread meets the wall of the CCT but some should be put under the lock nut itself before tightening it up. Any excess that squiges out can just be wiped off once done. Liquid gasket sealant can also be used instead of a new paper gasket, this saves time and also having to clean up both mating surfaces beforhand.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
chickenstrip

Post by chickenstrip »

I am new to the forum, but not to the superhawk. I have one and my father does...I just bought some APE manual CCT's and I'm contemplating just going with the auto's for the discrepancies of opinions on chain tension. I'm interested as to where you got your measurements of 5-7mm. I'm obviously worried about long term wear if the tension is a hair too loose or tight. Also rather than the buna o-rings on the mCCT's, maybe swithching to a better material rather than risking a silicone sealant making its way to the oil...I really like your guide and how professional it is. How many have you replaced? How many miles on your bike since? What about any other mile/kilometers on other members bikes? I cant find a long term review more than 20kmiles. Thanks! (I don't know who to ask)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If you do decide to go with the Honda Auto's then at least do the Stopper mod to them so if they fail they wont cause any damage. Here's the link to the stop mod.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416

As for the tension if you look at the tension on the Auto tensioners then you will find them to be around 5mm. I would normally say to people 7mm as it's better for the engine if they are slightly loose rather than overly tight which puts stress and strain on the engine. There are other methods of setting the tension, like by ear or feel, but I believe this leaves to many inaccuracies as everyone's mechanical abilities, sense of feel or hearing is different.

The 7mm slack has bean used by many VTR owners over the years with no long term engine issues. You may be finding it hard to find any long term reviews because they are not something that cause issues once set up right to begin with. Adjustment is not something that is required on a regular basis and something you would do when it comes to doing valve clearances. The biggest issue is after people have first installed them and question whether or not they have set the tension right and become a little paranoid as they get use to the new tone and the slight rattle when cold before the engine warms up. As long as the slight rattle disappears when the engine is fully warmed up then all is good. If it don't then tighten another 1/4 - 1/2 turn in.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28168

Me personally I have fitted a fair few now but there are others that have fitted a lot more. My bike is not high mileage and I have only re-adjutsed the tension once as I wanted to do this write up and check my valve clearances at the same time.

The worst thing anyone can do is to ignore the CCT issue and not do anything about it.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... re#p247126

Either go with the stop mod or manuals the choice is yours. :thumbup:

Brinz

Post by Brinz »

Thanks Carl for all the information, Converted mine the manual today. Your write up made it easy!! :cool2
Why would you do that???
ptynan

Post by ptynan »

Used this works spot on completed work in 2.5 hours fantastic Paul
Paul Tynan (Red ones are fastest)
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Would this sealant be ideal for using on the cct lock nut? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1314367869

I got some thread lock but, just read your post about it giving up over time.

Also I have these CCT's...

Do I just install the manuals as they are? I.e does this bit need the honda rubber end with metal cap or does it just go in as it is..

Sorry if I missed something in the guide which has already explained!
Jamie :wave:
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Jamoi wrote:Would this sealant be ideal for using on the cct lock nut? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1314367869

I got some thread lock but, just read your post about it giving up over time.

Also I have these CCT's...

Do I just install the manuals as they are? I.e does this bit need the honda rubber end with metal cap or does it just go in as it is..

Sorry if I missed something in the guide which has already explained!
Any instant gasket/silicone sealant will do the job mate.Just looked at your link, bit pricey seeing as loctite instant gasket is about 7 quid in halfrauds. Personally I think even no nonsense out of screwfix at 2 quid a tube would do the job. And no you dont need the boots on the manuals, as they are.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Perfect, thank you Lee :)

I did think the stuff in my link was pricey, I'll go to halfrauds tomora :thumbup:

Oh actually it's still open, I'll go now :)
Jamie :wave:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

+1 on what Lee said.