Brake Caliper Upgrade

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
AMCQ46

Re: Brake Caliper Upgrade

Post by AMCQ46 »

Thanks for the lever measurements ... based on that the CBR has 80% more mechanical advantage than the VTR, so the piston area can be 80% higher than a VTR for the same lever / pad movement.

so with VTR MC diam of 14mm a radial of 18.9mm is the same based on those levers
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Upgrading my calipers is something I am considering. I managed to read this thread and there was a lot of numbers. Makes sense to others but not me.

I can get a set of SP1 calipers fairly cheap but on reading it would seem I would need the master cylinder too.

The SP1 calipers have been modified to fit my forks so it would be simple enough. I know f4i calipers will fit. What I want to know is what is actuallyt he best bolt on upgrade? That may be down to opinion but I am asking anyway. At the minute I am concentrating on my front end with rogered forks...Armstrong discs braided lines..six spoke and painted lowers...the last thing is the calipers and then I will be happy enough.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

SP calipers will be good and if in doubt use the master cyl from the same bike. if you cant find that get one of a blade or CBR600 of the same years
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

AMCQ46 wrote:SP calipers will be good and if in doubt use the master cyl from the same bike. if you cant find that get one of a blade or CBR600 of the same years

Will they be the better upgrade or are they the same?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

the CBR600F has the smallest master cyl diam of all the bikes that use those calipers, this will give the best braking power, the slightly bigger master cyl used on the other bikes will give a stiffer feel to the lever, but you will have to pull harders to get the same braking force.

I use the 600F master
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Thank you for your help. In the ideal world if going for a simple upgrade one would prefer the cbr 600 f4i calipers with master cylinder?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

SP1 calipers are the same as the 600F, so using them is good
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Ok. Thank you again. SP1 calipers and a CBR600F master cylinder it sounds like then.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Can confirm SP1 calipers & M/C with Honda pads & disc's are far superior to even very well maintained standard Storm gear :thumbup:
Jamie :wave:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I'm pretty sure that for any of the caliper swaps (600F4i, SP1/2, CBR929/954 etc) there is insufficient clearance between the caliper and the lower mount on the fork leg to bolt straight on. A little creative filing is needed to rectify this.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Cadbury64 wrote:I'm pretty sure that for any of the caliper swaps (600F4i, SP1/2, CBR929/954 etc) there is insufficient clearance between the caliper and the lower mount on the fork leg to bolt straight on. A little creative filing is needed to rectify this.
correct.... dremmel is your friend
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Thankfully all sorted.

SP1 calipers have been stripped and cleaned and on their way. Managed to get the f4i cylinder which is also on the way. Have the braided lines already and some Armstrong discs. I think I'll be quite happy with that set-up.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Same set up as I have, it works well, you will be impressed with the improvement over std
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Look forward to it mate. Pretty much have the front end sorted now aside from a little painting of lowers/yokes/bars. Possibly some asv levers if cash allows in january :/
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Scored a pair of SP2 calipers off ebay, from Lithuania of all places! Apparently off a bike that had done 9000kms and in working order. I will visually check them over and if they look ok I will install them and the 'Blade m/c at the same time. If the calipers look a bit average I will get the seals and refurbish them before install.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638