Brake Caliper Upgrade

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
AMCQ46

Re: Brake Caliper Upgrade

Post by AMCQ46 »

Stormer Dave wrote:AMcQ,

Did you change the MC as well then as your figures suggest leaving the stock VTR MC in place for the leverage ratio?

Not many f4i cali's in uk it seems and tons of basement (plus import tax I guess) from the states, just seen as set with mc for £40.

Dave
Yes if you dont change the master then your leverage is much better, but berhaps too good, and the lever travel will be very long making your head think that the barkes are not good.

problem in UK is they are not always called F4i in the description, but with the low price in USA it is still a bargin if you add import
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Snoogle wrote:I now can't see the spreadsheet as I'm at work...

How well does the CBR MC work with the Storm Calipers? Would it give good feeling but give worse braking effect?
(Once again if this question has already been answered I apologise!!)

Actually scrap that, I've just seen how cheap the CBR pads are....now I need to set up a sniper lol :thumbup:
yup, you are correct, the CBR M/C and storm calipers would give stiffer lever but less braking effort for a given hand squeeze
AMcQ
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

I'm steadily getting my stuff together for the caliper swap, got the F4 calipers mounted tonight, need to order pads though, found this comparison page which I thought was useful.

http://www.jnbk-brakes.com/catalogue/bi ... /693/PM066

Radial m/cyl is in the shed too, will take some dims off it for AMCQ when i remember probably tomorrow. Wondering now whether to spash out on some new EBC discs.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

jonacol: I highly recommend Ferodo STAC FDB2079 pads. Works great anywhere - hot, cold, dry, wet, on track ..., and pad wear seems to me ok.

If your discs are not under service limits (thickness, wheel wobble), then there is no point to swap to EBC.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Chaps, brake gods!!

Ive enjoyed this thread a lot, trying to gleem what info I need.....

I have been real excited recently as ive built myself upto looking forward to riding my bike after I had HEL braided lines put on, whilst at same time, a full strip of calipers with new seals........ brill hey!?

However, I rode my bike for the first time after work completed, yesterday (Sunday) and, well, mildly disapointed to say the least. I have riden my bike quite alot over last few weeks and I think I have a memory of how they felt, strength, responsiveness etc, and my first reaction was, ooo these are worse!

Now I rode with my mate who has an Duc ST2 and we swapped bikes, his first reaction was "your brakes arent working right" and I dont think i had said anything to him! Doesnt help that his are really powerful, well, digital on or off thats all you get with his!!

I am trying to tell myself that they might get stronger, more of an instant response after a few more miles!? Am I kidding myself or might there be something not quite right? I know its impossible to diagnose brake response/feel over this forum but are there any gotchas/tips/hints for post brake strip / new lines? Dont get me wrong they work!! Just the only improvement seems to be less travel needed - where it needed 2 thirds travel of lever for absolute full on brakes, it now needs say 1 half travel. Brakes feel weeker now though!

Would I be mad imagining a piston or 2 not moving properly or air still in system (they were comprehensively bled).

I wanted to ride again this am but had to leave early to go away until tomorrow night, so will ride again tomorrow/weds and see what I think. Annoying!!?? Sorry to blah on, but the first time ive been under whelmed with the Firestorm!!

Yours, Griff :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup:

:roll: :roll: :? :? :( :eh: :eh:
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Absolutely should have felt better not worse. If the lever is not spongy then it is not air, so perhaps you havnt got one of the seals in correctly, or some other alignment problem with the pads.

As you say it is hard to diagnose from words, but I would take then off the fork legs, remove the pads, and see how easy it is to push the pistons in, are they all the same etc?
AMcQ
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Cheers Al, Ill keep you posted!
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
lloydie

Brake Caliper Upgrade

Post by lloydie »

Did you use new pads ?
Are the discs worn have they any groves in them .
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Lloydie. I kept the discs & pads. Discs fine, pads about half worn. No grooves/damage on either so was happy not to change.
lloydie

Brake Caliper Upgrade

Post by lloydie »

Did you get any brake fluid on the discs or pads ?

They should be better brakes .
lloydie

Brake Caliper Upgrade

Post by lloydie »

I've just re read your post and i have one question are you still using the standard calipers and master cylinder ?
If you are and only replaced the lines you should have a bit better feel and less travel on the lever .

But i would still Do as al says remove one caliper and it's pads pump the lever once and see if all the pistons move together .
Also if you push one back in the other 3 should move outward .
If they or some don't then they are sticking .
Check both sides .
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Lloydie. Yep same (original) master and calipers. Not sure if I was expecting too much?! Tried hard to avoid any fluid leaks- don't believe any fluid went where it shouldn't! Used a sealed bleading tub.

Yep, thanks for diagnosis tips!

I'll keep you informed of progress!

Griff. :|
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Did the pad which you re-used go back in the same calipers and on the same side that they came out of? If not they will need time to bed in to the shape of the discs. I would suggest changing to EBC HH pads, they made a very significant differnce to brake feel on mine, much much better.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Jono. Ta for that. I had to send calipers away to a workshop to get the caps drilled out as they were corroded in! So, the chap who did this for me (and then the calipers strip), I am sure put the pads back into same calipers.

But I guess disturbing pads/disc seating and not changing pads might be the snag- lines look great; no leaks, handle feel tight, all groovy! Haven't riden it today as long drive back from Liverpool, but will tomorrow and I'll thrash them as much as I dare within reason!

Ta. Nice pads suggestion. Will keep in mind! Griff.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Rode bike today - gave it a good thrashing and two things:

1. Brakes seem a little better
2. Im getting used to a different, more progressive response.

Happy!!!

Though I will change the pads in due course I think!!

Griff :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D