Brake Caliper Upgrade

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
millzy555

Re: Brake Caliper Upgrade

Post by millzy555 »

Great thanks for that. I would rather less lever travel/ firmer pull from my setup so looks like the CBR600rr calipers and GSX-R M/C would suit me best
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

millzy555 wrote:Great thanks for that. I would rather less lever travel/ firmer pull from my setup so looks like the CBR600rr calipers and GSX-R M/C would suit me best
I suspect old gsxr master to be crap (not sure), while axial nissin from old hondas are known to work well. You cant beat the feel of cbr954 master and calipers (17.5mm pump and 32/30 mm pistons).
popkat

Post by popkat »

I've just fitted CBR600F4 calipers and matching master cylinder. with braded hoses and EBC HH pads. the lever is nice and firm, I wouldn't want less lever travel and the standard CBR lever has a good range of adjustment to set it to suit.. Only possible issue is a personal one, the master cylinder and reservoir are integral unlike the original Firestorm one which has a remote reservoir.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Stephan wrote:
millzy555 wrote:Great thanks for that. I would rather less lever travel/ firmer pull from my setup so looks like the CBR600rr calipers and GSX-R M/C would suit me best
I suspect old gsxr master to be crap (not sure), while axial nissin from old hondas are known to work well. You cant beat the feel of cbr954 master and calipers (17.5mm pump and 32/30 mm pistons).
um, yes you can... trust me!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
millzy555

Post by millzy555 »

popkat wrote:I've just fitted CBR600F4 calipers and matching master cylinder. with braded hoses and EBC HH pads. the lever is nice and firm, I wouldn't want less lever travel and the standard CBR lever has a good range of adjustment to set it to suit.. Only possible issue is a personal one, the master cylinder and reservoir are integral unlike the original Firestorm one which has a remote reservoir.

Good to hear. Well i think it just comes down to which set i can get the easiest. Plenty on ebay US, should end up being $120-150 for calipers/ M/C. I just dont want to have to replace seals ($90) and pads ($70) if i dont have to.

Edit: Just purchased a set of CBR600F4i calipers and M/C. $158 delivered to my door.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

mik_str wrote:
Stephan wrote:
um, yes you can... trust me!
... when using garbage items, I should add :D
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

well, I wouldn't quite say garbage items, but OEM stuff, though even at that price point it's possible to do better (notably with a radial master)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Eric Lemestre

Post by Eric Lemestre »

Hi,

Regarding brake calipers upgrade, best setup (tried and tested), if you intend to keep OE forks, is Honda cbr 600 f4i calipers mated to a 2006 Yamaha R6 radial Master cylinder. This, plus braided hoses, will transform the brakes of the Storm into something that really stops while retaining a very good feel.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

eric, do you know the diameter of the R6 radial master cyl?
AMcQ
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 am eric, do you know the diameter of the R6 radial master cyl?
It is a 16mm Brembo (or should be anyway)
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

has anyone got that chart that showed the different piston sizes and which bike had what calipers, dam photobucket to hell
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

agentpineapple wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:16 pm has anyone got that chart that showed the different piston sizes and which bike had what calipers, dam photobucket to hell
You're in luck Marty, I didn't think I had saved them, but I had :D

I've put the two charts back in Al's posts which are both on page 1,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:16 pm
agentpineapple wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:16 pm has anyone got that chart that showed the different piston sizes and which bike had what calipers, dam photobucket to hell

Chris.
Nice one chris.... I don't even have the spreadsheet anymore, so those screenshots are all that's left.
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Chris.
fantastic news chris, you sir are a top banana..... :Dancing: :Dancing: :Dancing: :Dancing: :Dancing:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers Al and Marty :thumbup:
I honestly didn't think I had saved them, glad I did though :D as they are very useful information,

Chris.