How I resprayed my new rear hugger

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
sirch345
Site Admin

How I resprayed my new rear hugger

Post by sirch345 »

I had been looking out for a new hugger for quite sometime, but trying to find one in matching colour for my bike just wasn't happening. So I got this one in Yellow at a good price instead, then set about respraying it to match my bike in Red. This is how it went:-

First of all I fitted it to my bike to see what sort of fit it would be, I also wanted to check whether any alterations IMHO were necessary. I found that I did alter it slightly for a better fit IMO, so was glad I checked it, as less likely to scratch the new paint work by doing this first.
new-VTR-hugger-A Re.jpg
Next I rubbed down the Yellow paint work using a Scotch Brite pan scrubber. Once all the shine had been removed I then went over it with white spirit on a lint free cloth to remove any dust and grease left behind. I then sprayed it with Red primer from a spray can.
red-primer-1-Re.jpg
red-primer-2-Re.jpg
I then flattened off the Red primer with 2000 grit wet and dry paper, I also used some washing up liquid in the warm water which helps.
Once that was done and fully dryed off (that is very important!) I wiped it over again with white spirits as I did above, because a certain amount of grease comes off your hands/fingers. I then applied the Red top coat that I purchased from Halfords in a spray can. The photo below shows it ready for flattening off, you don't need to have a perfect shiny finish at this stage.
sprayed-red-ready-for-flat-.jpg
Out with the 2000 grit wet and dry paper again, because I did have some imperfections, it's quite hard not to using a spray can. So don't worry if yours is not perfect either. Once fully dried off next wipe over again with the white spirits as before. Next I applied the lacquer, I applied it in thin coats allowing each coat time to dry before applying the next one, building up a good cover gradually. It's very easy to get a run with the lacquer so go carefully. Once the lacquer has been applied and left to harden off, I then got the 2000 grit paper out again. That was followed by T cut and polish. It takes a reasonable amount of time to get a good finish, but I hope you think it was worth it. I'm very pleased with the final results as seen below.
finished-job-Re.jpg
You can use a coarser grit wet and dry paper than I used to start with if you wish, but you need to be careful (especially on edges) that you don't rub through the coat you are flattening off, that's why I stuck with the fine 2000 grit. If you do rub through a coat you'll have to re-apply it again.

Chris.
bikerpiker

Re: How I resprayed my new rear huggar

Post by bikerpiker »

That looks great Chris , an excellent job :!: , well done 8)
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: How I resprayed my new rear hugger

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Stevie, I must admit it has turned out rather better than I thought it would have.

Chris.
gilson

Post by gilson »

I tried to spray my track fairings, which turned out to be bumpy and absolutely terrible. That's a great job from a can! Well done sir.
No bike (yet).
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

top job matey 8) , im doin darrens (rollingthunder) hugger and a smashed up pyramid bellypan he got off fleabay :roll: at the mo, not impressed with the colour matched spray can that halfords do, comes out crap compared to a normal rattle can, lots of rubbing down to do yet!
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Excellent work on the prep and finish - I've been using Pro XL Ultra Gloss Lacquer for a final finish

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/product/pro-clear
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

8) Bling 8)
Nicely done Chris :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent finish, I can even see you stripey T-shirt and sticky out ears in the reflection :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
gilson

Post by gilson »

Pete.L wrote:8) Bling 8)
Nicely done Chris :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent finish, I can even see you stripey T-shirt and sticky out ears in the reflection :thumbup:

Pete.l
:clap: :clap: :clap:
No bike (yet).
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

Damn makes me wish I saved my money and had you spray my bike rather than a so called firend here, the finnish you have done looks perfect proops to ya.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks guys for the positive comments :thumbup:

As usual I'll ignore anything less :wink: unless it's constructive criticism of course.
Wicky wrote:I've been using Pro XL Ultra Gloss Lacquer for a final finish

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/product/pro-clear
That lacquer sounds good Wicky.

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

old post i know, but shows how it's done proper. :thumbup:
nothing i could add to that, apart from i use 400 / 800 / 1000 & 1500 w&d, and use thinner for degreasing and spirit wipes between coats - i've done exactly the same on the whole bike, fairing, tank, the lot.
takes bloody ages but is well worth the time you put in.

looks lovely does that - red is my fave colour for spraying tbh :thumbup: :thumbup:

how much does it piss you off when a fly lands on the paint tho! :redface

*found that 'metalic paint tcut' is ace for polishing lacquer after spraying as it's less abrasive and doesn't damage the clear film - followed by a good wax.
looks better than showroom finish imo :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
strachg

Post by strachg »

excellent job.
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Very nice, great job. Very useful as Dave is scrubbing my disgraceful bellypan back to the fibre and he doesn't know what the heck has been on it by previous ownner etc as he says it is as if it's had a coating of nail hardener over the top!! So now back to basics!

We're on the case and will post pics as we go. Good bit of info there. Dave knows a lot of it already, I just try to get myself to up to speed so I know!!
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
markbo

Post by markbo »

hi sirch

i'm new to the site and i'm thinking of adding a lower fairing but i'd want to respray the skidmarx one in yellow to match the bike
i'd be interested in seeing the pictures that went with your original post if you still have them - i could put them back up for for you too?
can't pm you as i don't have 50 posts yet but you can contact me perhaps?

mark
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

In the meantime here's a link to some body repair/spraying I done.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p280624

And for a bit of a how to follow this thread
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ry#p229480

Then to finish off
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... =wet+n+dry

Followed by polish and wax. :thumbup:

If you have the time and patience you can make it look as good as new.

If you want an exact colour match, well...as exact as it gets as it does not account for paint batch codes and weathering without doing the whole bike. Here's a link to a paint supplier.
http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colour ... delid=2055

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside