How I resprayed my new rear hugger

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: How I resprayed my new rear hugger

Post by sirch345 »

I'll see if I can find them Mark. I can hardly believe I did this almost 5yrs ago 8O

**EDIT**
All back up now :)

Chris.
markbo

Post by markbo »

hi Chris

thanks for putting the pics up - what a fantastic job, i'll be pleased if i get anywhere near that!

looked at the other links that Carl put up too, i can't believe the finish you can get with rattle cans - not sure if i'll post pics of what i do cos i can't see it being in the same league, i've never done any spraying before, but there's a first time for everything.
preparation is 90% of the job my dad used to say but i'm not really patient enough - i'll do my best tho!

thanks for all the help

mark
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

markbo wrote: preparation is 90% of the job my dad used to say but i'm not really patient enough - i'll do my best tho!

thanks for all the help

mark
Your Dad is right Mark, the preparation is what determines what the finished job will look like.
Also you need (if you didn't already know) a reasonably amount of warmth in the air where you intend to be doing the spraying. You could have been okay with ambient temperature in your garage/workshop/shed up until recently, but now I think you'll probably need a little heating in the room.

Good luck with it :thumbup:

Chris.
markbo

Post by markbo »

thanks for the help Chris

i've put up pics in the "what i've done to my bike today" topic - very pleased with the results so far, just waiting for the primer to harden now before i get on with the next bit (and decide whether to fill or not to fill...).
i'm itching to just paint really but i know the finish won't be as good as it could be.

mark
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mark, I've just had a look at your hard work :thumbup: :clap:

Keep up the good work, you'll get there,

Chris.
artee

Post by artee »

benny hedges wrote:old post i know, but shows how it's done proper. :thumbup:
nothing i could add to that, apart from i use 400 / 800 / 1000 & 1500 w&d, and use thinner for degreasing and spirit wipes between coats - i've done exactly the same on the whole bike, fairing, tank, the lot.
takes bloody ages but is well worth the time you put in.

looks lovely does that - red is my fave colour for spraying tbh :thumbup: :thumbup:

how much does it piss you off when a fly lands on the paint tho! :redface

*found that 'metalic paint tcut' is ace for polishing lacquer after spraying as it's less abrasive and doesn't damage the clear film - followed by a good wax.
looks better than showroom finish imo :beer:
Thinners will attack a single pack basecoat. Always use panel wipe with lint free wipes.
I've been doing this as a job for 30 years, so know a bit about it.

Roger
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

An old thread I know, but I have just re-added the missing photo's, again :wink:

Chris.