Rev 3

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
8541Hawk

Re: Rev 3

Post by 8541Hawk »

mik_str wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:16 pm Just leave it stock I say.... :beer:

Think it would cost more to locate all the stock bits than to finish the project up..... :wink: :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Finally time to get thing moving again as my set of heads should be done sometime this week......though it is kind of funny the reaction to how much I want them decked. Was asked 3 times there and even got a phone call to check one more time.....lol 8)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

8541Hawk wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:36 pm Finally time to get thing moving again as my set of heads should be done sometime this week......though it is kind of funny the reaction to how much I want them decked. Was asked 3 times there and even got a phone call to check one more time.....lol 8)
If you get them decked that much you'll need to take a link out of the cam chain...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I'm just following Rogers instructions ...... He decked some of his even farther with no mention of messing with the cam chains
Though I am going a little farther than most as I'm running Mori pistons instead of JE :D
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

8541Hawk wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:19 am I'm just following Rogers instructions ...... He decked some of his even farther with no mention of messing with the cam chains
Though I am going a little farther than most as I'm running Mori pistons instead of JE :D
Alright, now I am curious: how much? FYI, I had 0.0015" take from mine with no issues...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I sure you mean .015" :D but I went a touch farther to .025 as I'm running the Mori pistons which should bring me very close to 11:1 as the final compression ratio :thumbup:

Slot the timing gears, yes.......mess with the cam chain length.....no need :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I wasn't being serious about shortening the cam chain, you made it sound a lot more extreme than it turned out!
Are you going to dry build to check the squish? ( Not joking this time)😇
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

No worries......I just though it funny that I was asked if I was sure at least 4 times but then again even though it is a good shop with a great reputation this was the first set of VTR heads they have ever seen.

Yes I will check everything to make sure I still have the proper clearances though very confident that all will go well :thumbup:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hawk,
have you set yourself a timescale for completion are you hoping to be ready for the spring?
Also, as you have been in touch with Roger, do you have a rough idea of final gains you hope to obtain?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I should be done by spring , early summer. The whole fixed income thing make it a little tough but The heads were the expensive bit.
After going through all the bits I am running with Roger, so he knows the entire "package," he said I should be looking at around 125hp when all is done :thumbup:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Hi Mike, glad you´ve started this project, fingers crossed for good result.

Regarding decking head, assuming your pistons have 10.6 CR with original head, 0.025 (0.635mm) should bring you 11.5-11-6 CR, which is still fine. For 11.0 CR you need approx 0.011" (0.28mm) head skim with Mori pistons. This is based on my old calculation spreadsheed, which is correct I believe.

I plan to revive my engine this year a bit as I didn´t ride it really much in past two years, finally putting new choke with needles (old is screwed in fitting), installing fuel pump a try FIL mod.

edit: I forgot this calculation is valid on the cylinder side, not really sure on heads, it is safe anyway ...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yes I did miss type that ratio. I was going for 11:1 originally as I thought I had a good line on some oversized valves.

I turned out the cost really wasn't worth it to me so I went with the stock valve and a touch more compression.
It has been a long time coming but once I ended up with the set of Mori cams I either had to build an engine or start selling stuff off....lol

And if everything goes south, I still have the stock heads that are on the engine now :beer:

Got the heads back on the first, so now it's time to finish the tear down of the bike and pull the engine apart to start the fun bit 8)
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well progress is kind of slow right now but the metric drill bits I ordered finally came in so it's time to try my hand at modifying cam gears so they are adjustable.

Also received the proper bit to finish adapting the weld on an-6 fittings to the engine fittings. Now to decide where I am going to mount the oil cooler.

This weeks other project is to set the valve lash on the rebuilt heads. Though, of course, my feeler gauge set was pretty thrashed, so waiting on the new set to be delivered.

Lastly, picked up a budget bike lift to make the project go that much easier. I had one but gave it away before my move as I didn't know if I would have room for it here.

So getting closer...... :beer:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I found I could slot cam gears with a file, but I know that they were available to buy; from memory either by Moriwaki or another Japanese source.
No idea if there are any left for sale, though.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:10 am I found I could slot cam gears with a file, but I know that they were available to buy; from memory either by Moriwaki or another Japanese source.
No idea if there are any left for sale, though.
I looked for one but didn't find anything. So I went with plan B of using a 7mm drill and a dremel.
It should work out pretty good though I do miss the day when I had access to a machine shop.
A mill and a rotatory table would make quick work of this project.