Polishing the Turd

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
motojohn

Re: subframe fettling

Post by motojohn »

sirch345 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 pm
motojohn wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:31 am the sub frame looks a little high but thats only because the front of the bike is sitting low but if i have got it wrong it would not be hard to sort out
That was my first thoughts, the angle looking a bit on the steep side, but the camera can be deceiving.

At least you're making more head-way :thumbup:

Chris.
you could be right about the angle of the subframe i should have waited until i have the wheels on but its not very hard to to put it right later
If you think my attitude stinks ,you should smell my fingers !!
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: subframe fettling

Post by sirch345 »

motojohn wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:14 pm
sirch345 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 pm
motojohn wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:31 am the sub frame looks a little high but thats only because the front of the bike is sitting low but if i have got it wrong it would not be hard to sort out
That was my first thoughts, the angle looking a bit on the steep side, but the camera can be deceiving.

At least you're making more head-way :thumbup:

Chris.
you could be right about the angle of the subframe i should have waited until i have the wheels on but its not very hard to to put it right later
The test is to sit on it I guess, but as you say you really need the wheels on to do that. You'll make any necessary adjustments I'm sure,

Chris.
motojohn

Re: Polishing the turds pipes

Post by motojohn »

spent a hour in the sun sweating my balls off today
ImageImage
they dont look to bad
motojohn

Re:dropping the motor or lifting the frame

Post by motojohn »

spent a little time today thinking about polishing ,after doing the pipes i started thinking about going all old school with the bike lots of polished alloy , so what the hell its a lot of work but i do enjoy a bit of shiny metal so im stripping the bike right down
amazing what you can do with 3 ratchet straps
motojohn

Re: what the Hell is that

Post by motojohn »

took the carbs off before removing the frame and saw something odd in the rear cylinder inlet
Image at first i thought it was a bolt but it moved ,so i got a magnet and got it out
ImageImage

buy the looks of its been in there for a wile the way its worn down
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Polishing the Turd

Post by sirch345 »

Nice work there with the exhaust system :clap:

A good job you pulled the carbs off 8O

You could have had a competition on guess the part :lol:

Chris.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Looks like the insert washer from the two holding down bolts for the fuel tank?. How did it run with it in there. Nice work so far
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

mags@port wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:29 pm Looks like the insert washer from the two holding down bolts for the fuel tank?. How did it run with it in there. Nice work so far
to be honest I have only had it running in the garage and it sounded ok with no rattles :D but I will have a better look inside later and see if everything is ok
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Whoh WTF is that doing in there. I'm glad you spotted that. It could be a top hat but it looks like a slight ring indentation around the circumfrance where an O ring would go. Bizzare..and it has me thinking.

Pipes are looking great mate. I know how much hard work has gone into that polishing even though you do have buffing wheels. I see you have down the fork lowers too and around the wheels. you need to do the brackets on the header now, they stand out like a sore thumb. You didn't wnat a quite exhaust then :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

VTRDark wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:47 pm Whoh WTF is that doing in there. I'm glad you spotted that. It could be a top hat but it looks like a slight ring indentation around the circumfrance where an O ring would go. Bizzare..and it has me thinking.

Pipes are looking great mate. I know how much hard work has gone into that polishing even though you do have buffing wheels. I see you have down the fork lowers too and around the wheels. you need to do the brackets on the header now, they stand out like a sore thumb. You didn't wnat a quite exhaust then :lol:
my brackets are made from mild steel , i need to find some alloy or stainless ones
motojohn

Re: Striping the frame

Post by motojohn »

to day was a messy day ,in order to polish the frame you have to remove all the anodising , so what i use is a caustic oven cleaner paint it on and wait
it looks nasty but it works

you know its working when it goes black
motojohn

Re: and now the sanding

Post by motojohn »

after rinsing all the oven cleaner off before it does to much damage the sanding starts
i use 60 grit working up to 600 on all the cast parts .
the rear of the frame is a sand cast and is full of tiny pin holes so quite a lot of sanding to get it smooth but not so much as to make the frame to thin so you only remove the thickness of a piece of A4 paper before you can start polishing

the sanding took a day to do although to look at it it does not look that different but it will when i start polishing as it will give a much better finish
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Great work fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You have been a busy boy :clap:
You're certainly getting on with it,

Chris.
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:59 pm You have been a busy boy :clap:
You're certainly getting on with it,

Chris.
wait till you see it polished :beer: