Big Bird...

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
MacV2

Big Bird...

Post by MacV2 »

...well its big & yella, so a fitting name...for this one + It's better than just Storm No6... :lol:

Iv'e forgone the traditional bin shot & gone for a Galvenised bucket, however I do use this as a bin by the workbench...So technically it is a bin shot.

So the old girl does have a few issues which will need sorting before It gets anywhere near a road...

Today I did a few bits...Firstly the side stand...

Was a bit bent... :lol: :lol: So tricked Frank into fetching something from the shed store & whilst he was gone I raided the 'stores' for a Blackbird stand.

Must have a shock spacer in it as it sits correctly now with the longer stand, It was a bit scary leany with the bent one...

Big Issue no.2 was the seat lock. That was not oppening with the key, lock jammed & whole barrel turning, slight problem in that the seat still had the hooks on so you can't pry the seat up to get at the cable. Tried going in from underneath, drilling a couple of holes to get a hook in there but can't see sod all...So I disscovered you can get a 10mm spanner in & take the nuts off that hold the hooks & strap on...Take the nuts off & the hooks drop down. Now you can pry the seat up & see the cable to get the hook on it & pull it to operate the latch...Seat off no wocking furries...
:Woohoo:
The bracket & the spring clip were both bent. They will be replaced when a new lock is fitted.

Meanwhile as I was removing the plastics... Spot the issue here...

One of the bulbs was blown so repalced that. Don't seem to have a rear brake light so that will get sorted out later on...

Oh & the indis dont work on the L/H side, will change the relay & see if thats the issue but I suspect the switch is fubar as it doesn't feel right when using it + the Hi-beam pass light button doesn't work. Gave that a shot of contact cleaner but may well just end up changing it...

Some other issues apart from it needing a damm good deep clean...

WTF ! 8O The throttle is sticky & doesn't spring shut...The tryes both had about 2psi in them & are rock hard but them it hasn't been used for a bit...on the road at least...

Oh well gives me something to do...as well as Dresden, Smerkin, Blonkey... :lol:

Hellpppp meeeeeeee...

Right I'm off to watch the MotoGP...

One final pic of Big Bird...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
grumpyfrog

Re: Big Bird...

Post by grumpyfrog »

how are you ever going to get those feathers clean?????

On the side stand issue, has anyone actually straightened bent ones out or is that too much trouble?
Causes weakness etc??? only askin like.

Otherwise, still far too yella.
Are those cans confirmed as MiGs?? yet. good find if they are as proper thumin.

Oh and PM me Franks address please.
:thumbup:
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Have you not got any snow down there today Mac. With all those bikes that should keep you going for a while. Don't clean them too much or Frank wont have anywhere to make his webs.
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

very yellow :eek2 . actually looks well with some nice bits on it. pipes im loving and the rearsets :clap: .. you have waaaay to many storms.. :p
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

There is absolutly no markings on the cans whatsoever...Not even 'not for road use.' No baffels either or any holes drilled to fit them... :lol:

So don't know if Mig or not...

Feathers are self cleaning, well they require a bit of preening. Or just sit in a very big bird bath then shake it of...

The stands would need a bit of heat to straighten & if you get them too hot it wouldnt be good, try bending cold & the risk is snapping them.

That ones going in the bin... :lol:

& yes it is far to yella. The tyres were flat so I pumped them up, the front dust cap was AWOL so I found a pair of yella ones & put them on... :lol: Tho i may have to take that belly pan off...Just dont like them. I've got a Red std bikini somewhere that'll sort it... :lol: :lol:

Yes did fek all yesterday as it was flaking all day, today was OK, bloody cold but ok up till about 13.00 then it started falling again. Hasn't settled tho.

N+1 Rob N+1... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, they're definitely Mig exhausts.
The underslung bracket gives it away, and you will be able to see the thickness of the carbon at the can ends next to the straps, it is thicker than normal carbon sleeves.
Unfortunately they use mild steel perforated tubes welded to the input end cap, and when they rot, fabbing and fitting a new stainless perforated tube is a bit of a faff, but do able.
If you get to do that, you can saw a few mm off the carbon tube as well, to stop them looking like wheelbarrow handles.
Slightly shorter looks lots better, IMHO.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Looks like it has some nice mods as well as some crap ones. The front end is off an early blade, so has compression and rebound adjustment, but it was too early to get the bigger calipers, but looks like a steering damper up there too..

One day you will make one good bike out of all the bits you have collected :lol:
AMcQ