From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Stephan

Re: From 107 to 128

Post by Stephan »

okay, I hope cams are untouched, rest is swapable to good std engine with JE pistons fitted (new rings only), so you can do another one.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I don't think these need any comment :cool2
DSC_6317.JPG
DSC_6315.JPG
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

excuse me while i nip of to get the kleenex :eek2 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If those carbs are what I think they are WOW 8) 8)

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

also nick id be pulling those stupid breathers outa the craddle and pointing them downwards if you havnt already done it :thumbup:
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

This has been an awesome read and await for further updates as they come.

I'm new here on the forums and have had my nose in the threads to learn more about this wonderful bike, which I purchased in August, and continue to be amazed at the cult like status of this iconic model.

I'm presently rebuilding mine as I dont like stock cars or bikes and it never hurts to make them better as can be seen on this particular thread.

I have had my eye on this particular slipper clutch like the one beautifully packaged in this thread but I e read so many mixed reviews on having one and whether it's worth having on a basic Storm/ Hawk or not. I'm still on the fence of getting one.

I never realized this thread is up to date and glad I read it from the beginning to where it is now. Great reading. 😍👍
Best of luck in your endeavors freeridenick and look forward for more. 🤟
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:27 pm also nick id be pulling those stupid breathers outa the craddle and pointing them downwards if you havnt already done it :thumbup:
On mine I just took the hoses off and pointed the plastic nipples down. :thumbup: weight savings don't you know :lol: :beer:

and nice find on the carbs :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

8541Hawk wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:35 pm
fabiostar wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:27 pm also nick id be pulling those stupid breathers outa the craddle and pointing them downwards if you havnt already done it :thumbup:
On mine I just took the hoses off and pointed the plastic nipples down. :thumbup: weight savings don't you know :lol: :beer:

and nice find on the carbs :thumbup:
pretty much do the same job :thumbup: :thumbup:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Yes Chris, those carbs are what you think they are. They were pricey but came with a few other tasty bits FOC. Or maybe it's the other way round. More to follow on that front.

The new engine is now out of the donor bike and ready for transplant later this week. In theory I could have a running bike by the weekend but I think I'll get a few other jobs sorted before filling it with fluids and booking a Dyno session.

The polished covers will be going and the flywheel from the other engine will go in, along with the slipper clutch. Hopefully all done by Monday but I'm not going to stress about it if it's not all done.
DSC_6318.JPG
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that workshop floor is too tidy Nick!!
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:21 pm that workshop floor is too tidy Nick!!
Lol. It gets brushed before I start any work. I really need some help. :crazy:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

misnblu wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:51 pm This has been an awesome read and await for further updates as they come.

I'm new here on the forums and have had my nose in the threads to learn more about this wonderful bike, which I purchased in August, and continue to be amazed at the cult like status of this iconic model.

I'm presently rebuilding mine as I dont like stock cars or bikes and it never hurts to make them better as can be seen on this particular thread.

I have had my eye on this particular slipper clutch like the one beautifully packaged in this thread but I e read so many mixed reviews on having one and whether it's worth having on a basic Storm/ Hawk or not. I'm still on the fence of getting one.

I never realized this thread is up to date and glad I read it from the beginning to where it is now. Great reading. 😍👍
Best of luck in your endeavors freeridenick and look forward for more. 🤟
Thanks pal. It's been a fair old journey that's for sure and I'm not 100% sure I know where the finishing line is.

On a standard Storm on the road I don't think a slipper clutch is necessary, but on track I now think it's a must. Especially with a modified engine.
Last edited by freeridenick on Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

that donkey is gona be proper, will be interesting to see just what gee gees its putting out :thumbup:

i actually like the polished cases, yeah im sick i know.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:19 pm Yes Chris, those carbs are what you think they are. They were pricey but came with a few other tasty bits FOC. Or maybe it's the other way round. More to follow on that front.

The new engine is now out of the donor bike and ready for transplant later this week. In theory I could have a running bike by the weekend but I think I'll get a few other jobs sorted before filling it with fluids and booking a Dyno session.

The polished covers will be going and the flywheel from the other engine will go in, along with the slipper clutch. Hopefully all done by Monday but I'm not going to stress about it if it's not all done.
DSC_6318.JPG
Nice one Nick 8) :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Oh dear
Oh dear
Quite nasty this
Quite nasty this
I wasn't sure whether this was a cause or a result of the engine failure until I tried to remove the flywheel. Being able to move the whole crank from side to side or up and down suggest Roger was right when he told me it was a massive oil starvation issue. My current guess is either the crank bearings have spun or the oil strainer is clogged. Either way the bearings have eaten themselves causing the flywheel to chew up the stator and probably a bunch of other parts are screwed too. Although the clutch looked OK when I pulled that cover off.

On the plus side, the engine turns over by hand freely enough so I'm hopeful the heads are OK. There's a slim chance the pistons are OK too but with the crank moving like that they're probably scored. The bottom end is toast though. Fortunately I've got another bottom end which should be rebuildable.

Next stop is a quick message to Fabio for another flywheel.
Last edited by freeridenick on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.