From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
MacV2

Re: From 107 to 126

Post by MacV2 »

Mori Brak 5.jpg
Mori Brak 4.jpg
:thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

All hail MacV2, saver of mucho time and aggravation. :thumbup:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

It had its first proper thrashing yesterday but it was a bit hit and miss.

To get there I still had to add spacers and extend some of the belly pan brackets Mac sent. The race Mori belly pan clearly works best with the stage 2 exhaust and cut away sump. Still, it looks OK and mounts higher which meant no scraping on the tarmac. Bleeding the brakes took forever. No idea why, I've not had a problem before. And I replaced the chain link as well as set the forks up.

The misses:
It fell over when I was setting up the evening before. Fortunately the only damage was to already scratched crash bobbins and bar ends.
Stripped a thread on a case bolt. Not the bolt but the engine. A longer bolt got me going again but I'm not sure how long that will last. Might get it helicoiled at the next oil change.
The exhaust cracked at the collector during my thrid session. That sent me home to an early bath. A mate called later and said he could have had me back out on track but it might not have lasted the day.

But these were all outweighed by the hits. Firstly it runs and runs well. I think the one size larger mains have sorted the top end but mid-range might be a little rich.

The handling is chalk and cheese. It turns in better, changes lines better and drives better. I was running the same times in my third session as I was running at the end of my last Cadwell day and it felt easy. I've changed so much I can't put it down to which change(s) but the combination of braced frame, swingarm, lower yolk, new fork oil and changed tyres have made a difference I can feel, I'm sure of it.

Last time I was at Cadwell I could feel a definite dip at the apex of Charlies 2. That dip is still there but I hardly felt it. I'm putting that down to the stiffer chassis (i.e the bike was flexing before) as the forks were fresh then, as were the tyres. Hall bends and the chicane were no where near as easy to switch direction and I was very comfortable braking into the Gooseneck with the bike on it's side. I had it leant over all the way from Chris Curves to the Gooseneck when last time I was picking it up and driving upright before chucking it in. And I'm sure I could feel ripples on the approach I've not fealt before. I'm putting that down to a flexi chassis absorbing them last time, but my forks were slightly slow on the rebound.

I need a steering damper as it wags its head over any little lump. The one I have won't mount where I had it on the other frame and it's too long for this frame, so I'm on the lookout for one with a stroke between 100mm and 125mm.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The tyre warmers clash a bit
DSC_5891.JPG
Knackered exhaust
DSC_5893.JPG
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

looking good nick. well apart from the pipe crack but thats just bad luck..whats nice to hear is a normal human can actually feel the difference the frame makes

the guy that used to own that frame, the last day i was on track with the yellow bike theres a fast bumpy 120mph corner at kirkstown over here, i was getting tied in knots and i rem him just blasting straight through it every time, i couldnt work out why but at the time i didnt realise what chassis he had as i hadnt really checked out his bike. it wasnt until i bought the bike a few years later to get the motor for my bike that i realised what is was :eek2

great to see it back were it belongs on track.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:34 pm It had its first proper thrashing yesterday but it was a bit hit and miss.

To get there I still had to add spacers and extend some of the belly pan brackets Mac sent. The race Mori belly pan clearly works best with the stage 2 exhaust and cut away sump. Still, it looks OK and mounts higher which meant no scraping on the tarmac. Bleeding the brakes took forever. No idea why, I've not had a problem before. And I replaced the chain link as well as set the forks up.

The misses:
It fell over when I was setting up the evening before. Fortunately the only damage was to already scratched crash bobbins and bar ends.
Stripped a thread on a case bolt. Not the bolt but the engine. A longer bolt got me going again but I'm not sure how long that will last. Might get it helicoiled at the next oil change.
The exhaust cracked at the collector during my thrid session. That sent me home to an early bath. A mate called later and said he could have had me back out on track but it might not have lasted the day.

But these were all outweighed by the hits. Firstly it runs and runs well. I think the one size larger mains have sorted the top end but mid-range might be a little rich.

The handling is chalk and cheese. It turns in better, changes lines better and drives better. I was running the same times in my third session as I was running at the end of my last Cadwell day and it felt easy. I've changed so much I can't put it down to which change(s) but the combination of braced frame, swingarm, lower yolk, new fork oil and changed tyres have made a difference I can feel, I'm sure of it.

Last time I was at Cadwell I could feel a definite dip at the apex of Charlies 2. That dip is still there but I hardly felt it. I'm putting that down to the stiffer chassis (i.e the bike was flexing before) as the forks were fresh then, as were the tyres. Hall bends and the chicane were no where near as easy to switch direction and I was very comfortable braking into the Gooseneck with the bike on it's side. I had it leant over all the way from Chris Curves to the Gooseneck when last time I was picking it up and driving upright before chucking it in. And I'm sure I could feel ripples on the approach I've not fealt before. I'm putting that down to a flexi chassis absorbing them last time, but my forks were slightly slow on the rebound.

I need a steering damper as it wags its head over any little lump. The one I have won't mount where I had it on the other frame and it's too long for this frame, so I'm on the lookout for one with a stroke between 100mm and 125mm.
Good to read about how all your hard work and time has paid off 8) :clap:

The green tyre warmers look great :wink:

Chris.

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Shame about the headers .
Bike is looking great well done
freeridenick

Re: From 107 to 128

Post by freeridenick »

Having binned it in the last session of the second day at the PS/Classic bike track day weekend I'm back to what feels like all I've done on the bike this year - fixing it. On the plus side the damage isn't too bad and it performed faultlessly until then.

Having done a couple of race meetings and a very wet half-day at Oulton since my last trip to Cadwell I was hoping to be feeling better on the bike a dually booked the fast group. A week or so beforehand I was having a mild panic that I'd outreached myself but watching some YouTube vids from last year suggested I'd be OK. As it turned out the group was a bit of a mixed bag. Even accounting for different machinery there's no way most would have been in the right group had it been a normal track day.

The only difference from my setup the last time I was at Cadwell was +1 on the rear sprocket, which I thought was noticeable at Three Sisters but I wasn't sure if I was imagining it. I definitely wasn't. Acceleration was better and gearing for Coppice/Charlie's was better, although I'm still not sure whether third would be better than fourth. Especially into Charlie's 1. What was also noticeable was how much more it wanted to wheelie. Not just over the Mountain but under the bridge out of the chicane and over the rise in Park straight.

What I need to work on is turn in and corner speed. It maybe setup but I'm leaning towards it being me and my death-grip for now. After Beef's waggling-elbows advice I relaxed and it felt better but the tight stuff, Hall Bends mainly, still felt hard work and these are supposed to be good handling bikes. On the Saturday I was getting served by a guy on an NSR250 who turned out to be in his 70s. I could pass him on the straights but I sat in behind him and learned to corner instead. The speed he was carrying through the bends was brilliant to copy and took me down to 1:50 as a best time from 1:53/54 previously. It's funny how your comfort-zone moves. That felt fast earlier this year but was a comfortable pace at the weekend.

So apart from the damage and my riding there's not much I think I can change now. The exhaust was fixed with an expensive purchase from Japan - if anyone has a Mori high-level left hand link pipe spare let me know, and gearing could be played with but aside from that I think it's done. Famous last words.
popkat

Post by popkat »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm

The only difference from my setup the last time I was at Cadwell was +1 on the rear sprocket, which I thought was noticeable at Three Sisters but I wasn't sure if I was imagining it. I definitely wasn't. Acceleration was better and gearing for Coppice/Charlie's was better, although I'm still not sure whether third would be better than fourth. Especially into Charlie's 1. What was also noticeable was how much more it wanted to wheelie. Not just over the Mountain but under the bridge out of the chicane and over the rise in Park straight.

4th would be better than 3rd, I go into coppice in 5th (top on the straight) and hold it until just before tipping into charlies 2 when I knock down to 4th.
your going down 2 or 3 for coppice then ?, I reckon you could be scrubbing too much speed to go down the gears.

1m50s though is a good time for a trackday so your not doing bad at all :thumbup:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

popkat wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:26 pm
freeridenick wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm

4th would be better than 3rd, I go into coppice in 5th (top on the straight) and hold it until just before tipping into charlies 2 when I knock down to 4th.
your going down 2 or 3 for coppice then ?, I reckon you could be scrubbing too much speed to go down the gears.

1m50s though is a good time for a trackday so your not doing bad at all :thumbup:

I use 4th for Coppice, back one from fifth, and it drives to Charlie's 1 OK but is low in the rev range through that corner. Normally I go back one to third for Charlie's 2 at the top of the crest but there's a lot going on for me with sorting my line, braking and changing gear. Knocking it back to third as I change direction for Charlie's 1 might mean better drive there.

That or I just need to whack it open more. But it's bloody fast through there.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm Having binned it in the last session of the second day at the PS/Classic bike track day weekend I'm back to what feels like all I've done on the bike this year - fixing it. On the plus side the damage isn't too bad and it performed faultlessly until then.

Having done a couple of race meetings and a very wet half-day at Oulton since my last trip to Cadwell I was hoping to be feeling better on the bike a dually booked the fast group. A week or so beforehand I was having a mild panic that I'd outreached myself but watching some YouTube vids from last year suggested I'd be OK. As it turned out the group was a bit of a mixed bag. Even accounting for different machinery there's no way most would have been in the right group had it been a normal track day.

What I need to work on is turn in and corner speed. It maybe setup but I'm leaning towards it being me and my death-grip for now. After Beef's waggling-elbows advice I relaxed and it felt better but the tight stuff, Hall Bends mainly, still felt hard work and these are supposed to be good handling bikes. On the Saturday I was getting served by a guy on an NSR250 who turned out to be in his 70s. I could pass him on the straights but I sat in behind him and learned to corner instead. The speed he was carrying through the bends was brilliant to copy and took me down to 1:50 as a best time from 1:53/54 previously. It's funny how your comfort-zone moves. That felt fast earlier this year but was a comfortable pace at the weekend.

So apart from the damage and my riding there's not much I think I can change now. The exhaust was fixed with an expensive purchase from Japan - if anyone has a Mori high-level left hand link pipe spare let me know, and gearing could be played with but aside from that I think it's done. Famous last words.

Totally agree with the "mixed bag". Yes, you may be able to ride your GS1000G fast but... I was knocking in the low 1.50s in my group and the traffic and speed differential was a little scary at times. Seemed like too many bikes in the sessions and not enough time to find track space.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

where did you get your seat padding Nick. I need to get some on the steallie tank
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

StuartWags wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:58 pm where did you get your seat padding Nick. I need to get some on the steallie tank
I'm pretty sure I got the elbow stop foam from these guys, https://www.raceseatfoam.com/. The seat foam I got from a local supplier and glued two sheets together to make it the right thickness. The website stuff is easier as it's self-adhesive.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Thanks ... ordered some
Japcati

Post by Japcati »

Nice power increase there.
I'd say it's some pony to ride