my Aprilia Superleggera project

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
budd

my Aprilia Superleggera project

Post by budd »

OK I know it's not a Storm but if the media and government are to be believed there's nothing wrong with diversity :lol: So here is my Aprilia RSV ...

Time for a new project I think, towards the end of the summer I seriously considered selling my '01 RSV 'R' in fact I went as for as advertising it !!, I really fancied either a KTM RC8R or a S1000RR, but with a budget restricted to around £6K I realised I'd be buying from the cheap end of the market, potentially problematic high mileage, unloved examples, I did some research on both bikes and even looked at a couple, the research revealed both were prone to problems with the KTM gearbox's, snatchy engine and general poor build dominate the forums you seem to get either a good one or a dog, it seems a bit of a lottery. Even the BMs aren't without issues, electrical mainly but some disturbing reports of early bikes rod bolts coming lose !!My problem was I'd skint myself to buy one so any problems I'd probably not be able to afford to fix them as newer bikes and especially the BM are very complicated and the electrics are pretty much a dealer only fix so even minor issues can be very expensive to sort out. In the end I saw sense and decided to keep the RSV but give it a bit of a make over.

So why 'superleggera' ? well apart from sounding cool it means superlight in Italian and one of my project aims was to 'add lightness' so it seemed apt. Superleggera while literally meaning superlight actually relates to a construction technology developed in the mid 30s by Italian coachmakers Carrozzeria Touring, and was basically a framework of small diameter tubes covered with a beaten alloy skin, no I don't propose to rebuild the RSV in this fashion but I'm definitely aiming to get it a little lighter.

So here we have perfectly good and usable '01 RSV 'R', some of you may remember it from the OP Storm trips
Imagersv2_zps94da31b4

I've had it 3 yrs and it's been great, very well built and so far totally reliable, I've tried to keep it well serviced and look after it, it's only mods are FR100 chip, Blue Flame Ti can and a K&N filter, so when I decided I was keeping it I thought a bit of a fettle was in order.
About 6 weeks ago I SORN'd it and started looking for parts, the plan was to replace all the bodywork with GRP both to save weight and to allow me to bubble wrap the OE kit and store it safely away, I also wanted to increase power a little. Now I didn't really want to change anything that couldn't be changed back, I like the idea of been able to return it to stock if necessary.

This is the bike today, looking a little different...
ImageDSC_0566

ImageDSC_0567

ImageDSC_0568

so far I've got full race fairings/ tank etc fitted lining up the race fairings and dzus fasteners was a pain the fairings certainly aren't factory quality, anyway all now on and reasonably straight next job is lights and final preping for paint, under the skin is a renegade style carbon air tray, 57mm TB's, Edwards tubes, modded collector, Ti Akra can with 60mm link pipe, FR200 chip along with a PC3 custom mapped by PCR Performance all this is on and running, one of the nicest parts is the Brembo RCS 19 radial master cyl, I liked the one on Tony's SP so much I had to have one, it really is a thing of beauty.

ImageDSC_0569

although it does hit the dash at full lock, so I'll have to find a solution to that maybe move the clocks a little or alter the lock stops. Over the next few weeks I'll be busy sorting the lights out and getting it painted, it will be having a small projector headlight and probably a simple LED brake/tail light this means it will have to have a day time MOT but I can't remember the last time I rode in the proper dark.

Further plans lightweight lithium ion battery, maybe a quick action throttle and of course I'd really like a slipper clutch but it's a fair wad of cash, it's on my wish list I'll just have to see if funds allow, other than that it will be largely just routine servicing, oil filter, coolant, brake strip and rebuild new pads, linkages/bearings stripping and re-greasing finished off with some nice sticky tyres and hopefully all completed for April next year.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
tony.mon

Re: my Aprilia Superleggera project

Post by tony.mon »

Very nice.
Loving the lightness.....
It's crying out for a Domino twistgrip, but as long as I stay one blingy bit ahead I'm happy!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Thought they had a slipper clutch as standard ?

Go big bore too dial the cams and synk the tb & do the collector mod and it’ll be a beast
budd

Post by budd »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:12 pm Very nice.
It's crying out for a Domino twistgrip, but as long as I stay one blingy bit ahead I'm happy!
looking at the Accossato quick action throttle not as fancy as the Domino but it's a bit cheaper, but that said I had an HRC QA on my Storm and didn't really notice much difference, but I suppose turning the throttle halfway is still only halfway regardless :D
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

loving the look of this :thumbup: . they are a nice bike to start with but love seeing them being made into something different... like lost bikes make it the way the factory should have..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

budd wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:54 pm
tony.mon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:12 pm Very nice.
looking at the Accossato quick action throttle not as fancy as the Domino but it's a bit cheaper, but that said I had an HRC QA on my Storm and didn't really notice much difference, but I suppose turning the throttle halfway is still only halfway regardless :D
"Accossato quick throttle control reduces replacememt times of the gas control.

It permits to replace the old gas control with another one that is the same without intervening on the motor and without doing any kind of cables regulations.

This device is born for reducing radically time to replace the one cable gas control to a double cable gas control

It is born for the needs of the racers world where eventually brokes of the gas control involves the loosing of the turn of the practices due the long and fine job for replacement cables.

The Accossato quick throttle is composed by :

Accelerator side

Motor side

Customer shall install and registered the devace taking care to fix the gas control in an accessible aerea but protected from impact.

With this product replace the gas control never ever been so simply"

Mmmm, sounds tempting... Lost in translation, perhaps?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good luck with your lightening project Budd 8)
You've made some good progress so far :thumbup:

Luv the Brembo master cylinder.
Naughty boy Tony for leading Budd astray :wink: :shh: :D

Chris.
budd

Post by budd »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:19 pm Good luck with your lightening project Budd 8)
You've made some good progress so far :thumbup:

Luv the Brembo master cylinder.
Naughty boy Tony for leading Budd astray :wink: :shh: :D

Chris.
I'm easily led :lol:
budd

Post by budd »

forget the acccassato it sounds to complicated :) I may just bung 1/2 a cable tie round the OE throttle so shorten the cable a bit :D
budd

Post by budd »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:03 pm loving the look of this :thumbup: . they are a nice bike to start with but love seeing them being made into something different... like lost bikes make it the way the factory should have..
I wanted to change it a little but not really for the bike it's more to give me something to potter with over winter (without spending a fortune) the problem the factories have is they need to make an 'all-rounder' (all road bikes are compromised) capable of operating in lots of different situations and locations, my brief is much simpler make work on a Sunday morning or around the nice Welsh roads for not a lot of money, hopefully I'm on the right track :D
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looks really good, what colour scheme are you going for?
there's something to be said for taking a stock bike and making it better than a manufacturer intended. hell anyone can go and drop 10k on a bike that goes 180+ mph.
but taking and older bike and making it lighter/faster/handle and brake way better than stock is where the fun really is.... :thumbup:
100% agree with the brembo master, i'm still waiting on matching my master up with a brembo clutch m/c.
iirc the wheels on your bike are already fairly light. so a light weight battery, full ti exhaust are the main routes of saving weight.
should be a very fun ride come next spring/summer.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

looking good there budd .... modifying , you know it makes sense :D

my storm will have a front wheel that matches yours when you next see it [but in black]
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have a look at the Venhill 888 qa throttle and universal cable set.
Good value for the money....
budd

Post by budd »

agentpineapple wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 pm looks really good, what colour scheme are you going for?
there's something to be said for taking a stock bike and making it better than a manufacturer intended. hell anyone can go and drop 10k on a bike that goes 180+ mph.
but taking and older bike and making it lighter/faster/handle and brake way better than stock is where the fun really is.... :thumbup:
100% agree with the brembo master, i'm still waiting on matching my master up with a brembo clutch m/c.
iirc the wheels on your bike are already fairly light. so a light weight battery, full ti exhaust are the main routes of saving weight.
should be a very fun ride come next spring/summer.... :thumbup:
I'm thinking a simple red and white with maybe some green (tricolor) highlights but not sure yet I'll get it in primer then start marking it out with tape to get an idea of what I want.
For sure it's easy to buy a £10plus bike (PCP is a wonderful thing apparently)but I was never in the market to sign my life away but I seriously looked at private sales for either a RC8 or S1000rr ( a couple of the lads I typically ride with have s1000rr HP4s and they are mental fast) but while I could probably have scraped together enough to buy one (a really cheap one) if I had a problem and these bikes are not necessarily totally reliable I may not be able to afford to fix it ( these bikes are not easily maintained by the enthusiastic DIY'er)
In a sense I was scared off by the potential cost associated with running a modern superbike and it does give a certain amount of satisfaction to be able to improve an older bike, although quite how much it is improved remains to be seen, Aprilia seem to know what they are doing so to make significant improvements my not be that easy. But if I can increase power a little and lose some weight then it's got to be better right?
Yes the RSV 'R' as the lightweight OZ wheels so that's something I don't need to change, but for sure in a perfect world Carbon wheels would be nice but the OZ ones are pretty light so I need to make savings in other areas.
Unfortunately I can't run to the full Ti Akra system ,which is an eye watering $3200 (a £1000 more than I paid for the bike!!) so I have the Akra Ti can and link pipe with a modd'd OE collector, the mod links the downpipes and apparently mimics the exhaust gas scavenging of a true twin pipe system ( the WSB bikes all ran with full twin systems)so by modifying the downpipes it sort of thinks it's got a full twin system at a fraction of the price, it's nice to have the Akra Ti link pipe though it's a work of art and unbelievably light, I'd love to see the full system.

I've read good things about the Brembo M/C and Tony was seemed impressed with it so I'm looking forward to trying myself (roll on nest spring), I had some clearance issues (it was touching the dash/instruments) so I made some brackets and moved the dash forward a couple of cm and now it clears on full lock. Just waiting on the projector headlight to glass into the front fairing then I can start with the paint.
budd

Post by budd »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 pm looking good there budd .... modifying , you know it makes sense :D

my storm will have a front wheel that matches yours when you next see it [but in black]
are you going for some OZ wheels? mine will be black too :D